C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to fix your turn signal housing that leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 03:40 PM
docohm
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Default How to fix your turn signal housing that leak

My 2001 Coupe had a problem, the turn signal/DRL bulb busted the 2nd time in a few months due to water getting in the housing. I pulled it off the car and sealed the hole with some JB Weld. Here's some pics I took while doing it...
http://picasaweb.google.com/land.dav...alLightsRepair
STW, DocOhm
Now I'm

Last edited by docohm; 04-07-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:02 PM
cloudvette
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This link is no longer working. Does anyone have the instructions?
Old 01-04-2020, 09:03 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

need to keep the signal fluid topped up
Old 01-04-2020, 10:38 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by cloudvette
This link is no longer working. Does anyone have the instructions?
Because it's about 13 years old that is one hell of a zombie thread revival lol.

Search the forum for replacement turn signal housing threads. The OE ones are dated and the hole was burned by the heat of the bulb. Install switchback LEDs at the same time and the car will look much better.

Here is a good thread https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hese-in-2.html

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 01-04-2020 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:25 AM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 311 Posts

I actually just started having this problem myself. I was going through a touchless wash with the engine running. Have to turn off the motor and you won’t have the problem anymore. I don’t have any problems in the rain. Just when the close high pressure water in the car wash causes the problem.

Last edited by STRMLNE; 01-05-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:12 PM
cloudvette
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Hello !!!
I replaced the two turn signal lens with the housing. I went through the top. Same procedure like replacing the bulb from top. Used a 1/4 inch, short handle socket wrench. Loosed the two screws (10 mm and 7 mm) on either end. The lens housing comes loose. The hardest part was getting the lens and housing out of the car as there is not enough opening on top. Had to remove the hood stop and then it slid out on the drivers side. On the passenger side it was impossible even removing the hood stop. I took the two screws (7 mm) that hold the black plastic supporting bracket. I was able to slide both the lens and the black plastic holder separately without any issues and installed by using the same method. Both sides had cracks due to melt. Both look nice now and work well. It took about 2 hours. Did not have to jack the car up or open up the panels at the bottom or fool wit the air intake to the brakes. I will probably buy some JB weld as suggested here and deposit some on the spot where is melts and cracks. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:24 PM
cloudvette
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Hello !!!
I replaced the two turn signal lens with the housing. I went through the top. Same procedure like replacing the bulb from top. Used a 1/4 inch, short handle socket wrench. Loosed the two screws (10 mm and 7 mm) on either end. The lens housing comes loose. The hardest part was getting the lens and housing out of the car as there is not enough opening on top. Had to remove the hood stop and then it slid out on the drivers side. On the passenger side it was impossible even removing the hood stop. I took the two screws (7 mm) that hold the black plastic supporting bracket. I was able to slide both the lens and the black plastic holder separately without any issues and installed by using the same method. Both sides had cracks due to melt. Both look nice now and work well. It took about 2 hours. Did not have to jack the car up or open up the panels at the bottom or fool wit the air intake to the brakes. I will probably buy some JB weld as suggested here and deposit some on the spot where is melts and cracks. Thanks for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To How to fix your turn signal housing that leak

Quick Reply: How to fix your turn signal housing that leak