C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much should the labor be to change shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 04:40 PM
Mike Raines
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shocks

Originally Posted by runner140*
"Guess I need to shop around"....Guess you need to do it yourself.
Its real easy. DIY.
So what is the flare rate hours to replace 4 shocks on a 2015: non mag?
Old 02-19-2018, 04:48 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

For reference, I paid a shop $200 labor for all 4 shocks.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Raines (02-19-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 03:01 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

To see what the work entails, go to YouTube and enter "replacing shocks corvette c5". There are a couple of videos.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Raines (02-20-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 03:29 PM
DWC4
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple92
Just my $0.02 - but I've done shocks on C4's, a C5 and a C6, and I don't think 1/2 hour per shock is reasonable!!! It takes a few minutes just to jack up the car, and remove the wheel, and get the car on a jack stand then you have to undo the shock mounting nuts, and remove the shock. If the old shock still has a gas charge in it - removal is NOT a 2 minute job !!! Once you get the old shock out - you need to compress the piston on the new shock, and tie it in place (I use this steel "mechanics wire"), then fit the new shock into the lower mount, and cut the wire while "guiding the shock rod into place on the upper mount. Then you tighten the mounting nuts, and replace the wheel, and lower the car. On the rears - sometimes you need to pull the rear tie rod end for decent access. On the C6 - I ended up pulling three of the four upper control arm mounting bolts, to make the shock removal easier.

For a Do It To-Yourselfer - figure at least 60 minutes per corner - ninety minutes is probably safer. Heck - it normally takes me at least 5 minutes just to get the piston rod compressed (I use a floor jack to push the shock up against a heavy work bench top) and tied into position with wire....
Great description, thanks. I'm probably going into my '03 to find what all is wrong with handling - ball joints, control arms, bushings etc, not my area of expertise (I have none actually). And I just had the dead original fancy 'magnetoid' whatever shocks removed and programmed out about 2 years ago, the shocks they installed were garbage from day one (I asked for the C6, they said no need you'll love these OEM...). So I'll probably do that while I'm in there.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:08 PM
C5 for life
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by WildWolf
I am interested in changing the shocks on my 99....what should the labor cost me?
real easy job bud if you got jack stands and a jack. Job shouldn’t take more than 1-2 hours in labor cost. But be sure and get the best hardware possible. And do NOT take it to Meineke. I’ve seen more vettes leave on flat bed than mustangs seen my tail lights. I’m kidding my C ain’t there yet but seriously. YouTube the how to videos and buy the tools required. When you own a vette you gotta learn the simple repair part. Good luck

with Black Friday just about here, the best starter set for handling is the C6 Z51 Sway bats with Z06 shocks. I got them. Loved them. Very acute response from the sways. I wasn’t impressed with the Z shocks but for 300 your not gonna get a Aldan American performance from them. But you won’t bottom out and that’s a definite upgrade compared to trash OEM. You’ll pay less with the Black Friday sale.

Cultrag performance, Gene already started the thread for Black Friday. He’ll straighten you right out.

Last edited by C5 for life; 11-21-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:31 PM
nmbsun
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I got two quotes from the Stealerships and the labor is priced right but....It's the price of the shocks that gets me! Up to 3 times the price I can buy OEM's for! Plus as you know Stealershlips do not want to put on after market anything!

Quick Reply: How much should the labor be to change shocks?