C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe, Hardtop, and Covertible.....Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2001, 12:05 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Default Re: Coupe, Hardtop, and Covertible.....Pros and Cons (Shinobi's97)

Here we go people are justifying their taste,,,,,,I hate post like this but after reading all them feel inclined to answer. Why are all C5R's in Coupe form, Why was the hard top (FRC) when originally introduced, claimed to be lighter, stiffer, and faster......it ended up being the first two but wound up slower in the 1/4, the test blaimed the down force created by its rather large looking butt. oh yeah it was supposed to be cheaper too! Then they put the LS6 in them. Why are all Lingenfelters C5's that are tested are Coupes..including the fastest car ever tested by Car & Driver. Why was the first C5 a coupe? Truth of the matter is I have a coupe and am bialsed, but really I would take any of the C5's because I think they are all cool and am not going to get into a mines better than yours because the way it looks. No matter what, I would have to replace the motor, install a TT/SC, or do a heads and cam package in any of the C5's in stock form. So they all need work. I ended up with a Coupe and I am happy, if I ended up with a Vert or an FRC I would have been happy. There is no mistaking the C5 in any form as anything other than a Vette! The best one at that! :cool:

Here's an analogy,

Which is your favorite Penthouse Model? (although I would have my favorite), I would not complain with any of them and I would still do them all. :D :D

[Modified by Shinobi's97, 4:54 PM 10/24/2001]
I'm not going to take the time to cover every bit, since not every bit is off and this isn't meant to be a bash ;)

1) the C5R is not based on a coupe, its based on both
2) the FRC is not slower then the coupe
3) the FRC is cheaper (1999-2000)

Joel
Old 10-25-2001, 12:50 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Coupe, Hardtop, and Covertible.....Pros and Cons (jim482)

Personally, I like the Coupe or (obviously) the Vert. The reason I went with the vert is sheer simplicity- it takes about 4 nanoseconds to drop the top. The coupe takes much longer to remove/replace the top. I figured that I'd end up getting too lazy to take the top off, thus negating the use of a removable roof. The 'vert is quite comfy with the top down, provided you're going less than 80 MPH. Once you hit 80, you start getting a little backdraft-type air coming around from behind you. Of course, that seems to go away at 105 or so... :yesnod:

Having said that, I REALLY like the lines of a coupe. The 'vert with the top up (which almost never happens!) looks ok. The coupe looks just plain sweet- esp in all black with blacker-than-black tint. However, drop the top in a vert and it's easily the best looking. LOVE that waterfall.

Sure, the vert isn't quit as slippery through the air and it's not quite as rigid. You know what? This thing's plenty d@mn fast- and a few mods will easily make it fast enough for you.

:cheers:

And then there's the trunk issue. I really cannot imagine needing more space than what's in the back of this car... Wow. And toss in the fact that it's a convertible and you've got 99% of the 'verts on the road beat as far as storage. Sure, the coupe and FRC have more room, but I don't need it.

[Modified by Umrswimr, 10:56 AM 10/25/2001]
Old 10-26-2001, 02:30 AM
ChasNMe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have taken both the hardtop and vert on trips. No problems with either. :smash: :smash: :smash:
As soon as the first water drop hits the windshield, at 75mph, it takes 10 seconds to stop, 5 to get out, and 5 to put the top up. Under 30 seconds and your back on track. Never any leaks in rain, but it will if you put the high pressure water on it. Wind at high speeds can be all but eliminated by putting the windows up about 4-5 inches. :cool: :cheers:
Old 10-26-2001, 10:53 AM
jim482
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06

Default Re: Coupe, Hardtop, and Covertible.....Pros and Cons (ChasNMe)

It is definitely time to let the Little wife drive a coupe than a vert.....
That will be the ultimate decision.....
Your comments are appreciated.....

Side note:...If the coupe top of is used as much as the t-tops in my Monte Carlo SS. I had better go with the vert :cool: :cool:
Old 10-26-2001, 10:58 AM
Pepper
Instructor

Love our convertible. Never had the top up for 4 months here in New England.
Not sure it would be optimum in the winter, but then we never intended it to go out in the winter anyways.
A secondary advantage is that having the top down masks all those minor noises that worry everyone else.
Old 10-26-2001, 04:47 PM
Vette-Racer
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Coupe, Hardtop, and Covertible.....Pros and Cons

As a former coupe owner I can tell you that the Vert is a much better car, for a lot of the reasons sighted here. You can drop the top easily it has a clean look to it and the wind noise is not a problem (my coupe got loud above 55mph) and remember the first Vette was a drop top:D. As for the shifting go with a manual, I had an automatic in the coupe and it just takes to much away from the fun of driving the car. :yesnod: :cheers:
Old 10-26-2001, 05:17 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Coupe, Hardtop, and Covertible.....Pros and Cons (StormCrow)

I'll preface this by saying that is just my opinion.

The VETTE VERT is the prettiest slickest looking car car on the road, hands down!. You have to pay well over $125K to get some exotics that may look nicer. The only problem is GM won't make the Z06 in a vert. Bad mitake 'cause the 03 viper was just unveiled - a 500-500-500 full blown vert. So much for GM saying that their reason for not making a ZX06 vert opton is because its a a true "performance" car :smash: What a load of crap that is.

I opted on the Z06 even though I've test driven several times. I can't just give up the vert. I've read many posts on this issue where so may owners refuse to give up the vert for an FRC Z06 for just a few more horses. You could get a Z06 and have Carrvaggio cut it up for $12,500 but I'd rather drop ARE'S TT (Whenever he comes out with it) in my vert and I'll smoke any stock Z06.

Old 10-26-2001, 05:23 PM
Joecooool
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jax Events Coordinator
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Default Re: Coupe, Hardtop, and Covertible.....Pros and Cons (StormCrow)

My convertible days are behind me, I had a friend flip his vert and then skid about 50 yards upside down. While the car didn't look that bad once it was righted, what was left of him could have been buried in a shoebox. :sad:
Old 10-26-2001, 05:35 PM
COOL Z06
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Coupe, Hardtop, and Covertible.....Pros and Cons (joecooool)

The coupe will give you the best of both worlds. :cool:

Fresh air and topless :bb when you're in the mood, or closed coupe for long trips (with either the solid or tinted panel).
The FRC is a great look, but too confining for me.

Regardless of your choice you can't go wrong! :D
Old 10-26-2001, 08:33 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Default Re: Coupe, Hardtop, and Covertible.....Pros and Cons (COOL COUPE)

Don't buy the vert! I did and I've regreted it since. I've owned many Vettes over the years but never a Vert. I was always fond of the coupes. With their targa tops, they were the best of both worlds. So I thought anyway.

Now I'm totally RUINED! I'll never ever be happy with any Corvette that isn't a roadster now. The Vert is so much more fun to drive it's unbelievable. I just can't imagine why GM even makes a coupe or a hardtop.

Yeah, I'm ruined on buying anything but a vert Vette now. Don't you make the same mistake that I did and buy a vert. You'll hate anything less from then on.

:yesnod:

Tom
Old 10-28-2001, 12:15 AM
jim482
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06

Default Re: Coupe, Hardtop, and Covertible.....Pros and Cons (joecooool)

Sorry to hear about your friend :(

Thanks for the honesty
Old 10-28-2001, 12:18 AM
jim482
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06

Default Re: Coupe, Hardtop, and Covertible.....Pros and Cons (TCW)

The first C5 my wife drove was a vert
She may be ruined already ;)

Time to take her for that long ride in a coupe..... :)
Old 10-28-2001, 03:35 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Coupe, Hardtop, and Covertible.....Pros and Cons (C5 Hardtop)

The FRC is 33% stiffer! Get the FRC, unless you need the wind blowing in your hair :lol: j/k

I'm partial to the hardtops/FRC's here is a pic of mine:
C5 Hardtop,

Please don't take this negatively, but 33% over a coupe or vert is incredible. I guess being from the "show me" state I need some back up.

Can you steer me in the right direction so I can get some info to back you up?
Old 10-28-2001, 07:00 PM
sigung86
Drifting

Choices, choices, choices! :lol:

The FRC is, according to specs, 12% more rigid on the frame, and about 80 pounds lighter. Everyone thinks it's a down step because it has less gee-gaws. Actually, the FRC was the performance side of the triumvirate. True, it is not the sweet cruise-mobile that a vert or a coupe is. And you won't ever have a prom queen ride on it in a parade. However, in stock mode (no mods), the FRC 99-00 is probably faster, although I don't have first hand knowledge, this is simply a surmisal based on numbers. The Z06 is the fastest of the off the production line Vettes. Last year, it was also rated, overall, a much better car than either the Viper or the Mustang, comparable models.

Convertible - My biggest gripe is that my Vette is a daily driver, and unless you carry around a car cover, or mini, that covers the top only, and you can always take time to install it, these tops deteriorate just like they did 30 years ago. The big difference is that replacement is a lot more expensive now, they have real glass back windows. I know what people say, but given enough time on the open road, convertible tops leak in various places. Also I understand that they have much more flex in the frame than the other two. Again, no first hand experience, and unless you are an inveterate autocrosser, this probably becomes a tempest in a teapot.

Coupe - Not bad at all, the best of both worlds. You have to be careful with them too, so I have heard. They flex and you can develop leaks. Don't know as I don't have any practical experience with them either. There are others that can express that side much better.

You really can't go wrong with whichever one you choose. I never met a Vette that I didn't like. Except, possibly, that early 50s station wagon version. :lol:

Take care,
Old 10-28-2001, 09:14 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I compare coupes and verts this way:

Let's say you are thinking of buying a house out in the country. The price is great, the house is beautiful, and the drive to get there (backroads) on the weekend is just lovely. Now, this compares to test-driving a vert on the weekend - you head out on a nice winding road that has no traffic at all and life is feeling great!

Now, let's get back to reality: You buy the "house in the country" and on your first day back to work, you hit the most godawful traffic on the highway. You then realize that that beautiful "house in the country" is causing you to get up one hour early every day, and lget home after dark, tired and sick of traffic woes. The silver lining here is that you get to enjoy that house a very small fraction of your life until you retire.

...back to the car.........You hop in your vert with the top-down (of course) and head out on the highway. You can't really enjoy the scenery because all you see are cars, cars, and tons of pavement. You have to either crank up the heat (and stereo) or get to work with a numb face and hair that looks like it was styled by a punk-rock guitarist. Often, rain will surprise you as you drive to work and you must pull over to put the top on. Of course, doing so makes the car dark and depressing, since you just had a bright and airy feeling a few minutes ago.

Where am I coming from? I owned a vert for 22 years and yes, it was a blast to take on a long winding road-trip on a weekend or vacation day. But for driving it everyday to work, more often than not, the top was on (I had the optional hardtop) and it felt for all the world like a fixed-roof car. When I did have the top off, I soon realized that the if I cranked up the stereo, I'd go deaf sooner or later (actually, I now have ringing-ears from all those years of cranking up the stereo beyond reasonable levels).

So, my answer is this: If you plan to drive the car every day, get the coupe with a glass top - you'll love the bright interior that it brings AND you can always pop the top on the weekends.

If you plan on driving the car on special occasions, on the weekends, and on vacations, but will NOT be commuting with the car day in and out, through the rain, clouds and cold, then a vert can be very enjoyable.

Good luck with your decision and don't forget to rember just HOW you and your wife will be using the car!
Old 10-28-2001, 09:44 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Default Re: Coupe, Hardtop, and Covertible.....Pros and Cons (Dave68)

Chicks dig the convertible! :reddevil Unfortunately, my insurance (Prudential) has a thing against convertibles (double premiums! :confused: ) so I went with a coupe...
Old 10-29-2001, 10:11 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Coupe, Hardtop, and Covertible.....Pros and Cons (vette-crazy)

The coupe is my favorite but since I want a Z06, it would have to be a FRC.

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe, Hardtop, and Covertible.....Pros and Cons

Old 10-29-2001, 02:42 PM
hmert
Instructor

I went with a coupe for the following reasons:

I love the looks of a convertible when the top is down, but with the top up, it's not nearly as attractive. Also, the coupe is about $5,000 less.

Good luck
Old 10-29-2001, 10:11 PM
jim482
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06

What an example.....
You must be a professional writer :lol:
I will let my wife read all the replies. I believe though yours will make the most sense to her. She dreams of the House in the Country....Maybe this will enlighten her a bit ;)
Old 10-30-2001, 02:24 PM
flipm
Racer

Dave68,

I have to respectfully disagree about the convertible not being a good daily driver. I do agree that top-down driving is not practical at all times, but I use my car as a daily driver, and my commute took me from Maryland, through D.C., into Northern Virginia daily....

I think the argument you put forth would be equally valid against buying a manual transmission if one goes through lots of traffic. Personally, I love both the 'vert and the 6-speed, and it spices up the drive for me. And on a sunny day (even like we had up until a week or two ago!), I think the convertible is still sweeter than honey.

Quick Reply: Coupe, Hardtop, and Covertible.....Pros and Cons