C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mysterious lock/unlock between C5 & BMW

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:34 PM
R Devil
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mysterious lock/unlock between C5 & BMW

I'm in the garage this morning washing cars. As I walk around washing the BMW with the key in my pocket, the 98 C5 starts arming/disarming the security system. At first, I thought the s/o was playing games with me but she's not here and the keys to the C5 are in the kitchen at least 50 feet away! The fobs are not set to passive mode anyway and the BMW doesn't have that option.

I just walked out there and it continues to happen. Hope someone has a simple answer cause this is freaking me out!

Thanks guys.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:13 PM
TYSON1997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine would do it too. where I put the key was about 50feet or so from the car and it would randomly lock/unlock. Just put keys farther away. Also with mine it didnt matter if I had the switch in passsive or not. I eventually got a new fob and it solved the problems.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:29 PM
R Devil
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TYSON1997
Mine would do it too. where I put the key was about 50feet or so from the car and it would randomly lock/unlock. Just put keys farther away. Also with mine it didnt matter if I had the switch in passsive or not. I eventually got a new fob and it solved the problems.
Thanks for the info. I'll try that.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

50 feet is pretty much the activation length.

I've had this issue once or twice in my C5 career. There's a way to get it to stop. If you turn the Passive on, then walk within range of the car, it should unlock. Now don't move - turn Passive off. It should stop doing it, permanently. It's a little tricky, I don't think you can just turn it off from the remote, if the remote is out of range. Doesn't make sense but that's how I took care of it twice (in about 4 years).

Hopefully I remembered that right. If I didn't, play with it a little bit.

Something else to try would be a fob re-sync with Passive turned off.

Dope

Last edited by Dope; 06-11-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Bob Nelson
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You may still have trouble. That passive switch is not very good. Do a search for key fobs. There is one thread that shows what wire to cut inside the fob. It goes to a component that looks like a bell. I had the same problem and that solved it for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Mysterious lock/unlock between C5 & BMW

Quick Reply: Mysterious lock/unlock between C5 & BMW