C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EBCM Issue. Why does'nt GM have a Recall???

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 02:30 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Well, isn't that ironic. There are other guys here who think they are such good drivers that they insist they don't need AH/TC/ABS at all. So what if one of those guys drove for months without the EBCM working? Would you not give them respect either?
Originally Posted by BlackZ06
I would not respect them if they then "blame" the EBCM for their crash.
What if it really was a failed EBCM that made them crash? ... then you'd just think they were crappy drivers who are trying to blame it on something else. Infinite do-loop.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 06-16-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:30 PM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Well actually, the NHTSA is concerned if it degrades the braking system the car originally came with. In fact they are concerned if the ABS is affected in any way. When filing the complaint, you are asked if the system, ABS/TCS in this instance, is affected. They will tell you that the part or system in question is degraded thus affecting the overall braking system. In fact, the real point here is:

1.) The potential for an accident is much greater due to loss of ABS/TCS. IN fact if these systems were not indeed safety items, would they be mandatory in the upcoming years, 2008 to be specific?
2.) The fact that this is a known problem and has not been addressed makes it even more of a problem because it is basically turning a blind eye to the problem.
3.) Safety of the driver is jeopardized regardless and that is where the NHTSA gets involved.

What alot of you are neglecting to realize or consider is the fact that many people haven't the foggiest idea what some of these lights mean. We on the forum understand more than most because we are more of the enthusiast type. We read up on this stuff like it is the latest greatest novel or magazine article. But suppose you are just Joe/Suzy who bought the car because it looks nice. You may have no idea what those lights mean. So you drive around and then lose control of your car while braking and kill yourself or some other driver/pedestrian. Could this have been avoided with ABS/TCS? Statistics state that over 40% of the accidents could be avoided if they had ABS or TCS. If the potential exists, then there indeed lies the problem. GM knows there is a problem and refuses to acknowledge and replace the part with a better part just like the case with the infamous column lock bypass.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:23 PM
randyrayrichardson
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBCM problem

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Leave NHTSA out of it. NHTSA involvement and GM's response to their oversight is one of the factors in why the CLB fix got so screwed up.

The EBCM is not a safety issue per se since the base brakes work fine.

By the way my 2003 Z06 with 35K that gets tracked quite a few times per year had the C1214 failure show up this last week while spending 2 days at the Glen in the rain. Other than no ABS/AH/TC the car ran fine and I had no problems maintaining lap times. It is at the shop getting debugged today. Will see if it is a ground problem or the module.

Bill
After having an on going problem of ECBM service light keep coming on and going off. I pulled the 2 fuses for the abs one 40amp and one 20 amp located under hood. 2001 vette. I noticed a brass colored film on the contacts. With a small piece of steel wool I cleaned both sides of the contacts on both fuses and poof problem gone. I wonder why Mr. Goodwrench didn't try that!!! Maybe he wanted the $3200.00 he quoted me to fix it???
Old 11-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Jerry Gregory
1st Gear

I really hate to sound stupid but where do you find the ECMB box in the car. This is my third vett and I don't remember nearly this many issues with my first two, a 75 and a76. Of course I was much younger then. I got a copy of the ground points from an excellent post by Bill, but have been unable to really locate the ECMB box. Any help will certainly be appreciated. Jerry
Old 10-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Crayelene
1st Gear

Default Accident from failed EBCM - 2000 Corvette

I was leaving my apartment complex in Sunny California one day to go to work. I was just idling out of the parking lot to the stop sign before I pulled out onto a VERY busy and dangerous street which happens to be across the street from a high school. The stop sign was at the bottom of a small hill, so no need for gas because idling and gravity would get me to the stop sign. I had no brakes at all! My brakes were in good condition and not due for any maintenance. I had my car for almost ten years by this time and I was very aware of the car and all it's requirements. My guardian angel was with me that day because I rolled right out onto the busy street and no one hit me and I didn't hit anyone and thank the Lord that no high school students were walking anywhere near me at the time. I immediately took the next street off the busy road and crashed into some shrubbery to stop my car. I called AAA and my insurance company and had the car towed to my mechanic. He assumed that I meant that my car needed brake work when I told him that I had "no brakes". He didn't understand that I literally had NO BRAKES. He almost hit the wall of his repair shop because it wouldn't stop. He emphatically stated that, "No matter what, your mechanical brakes should have worked, even if the ABS was malfunctioning." He took the fuses out and my mechanical brakes started working again. He took a quick look and let me know right away that the ABS module had fried. He said it was a serious safety issue and to take it to the dealership to have them document the problem and take it from there. I took it to the Bob Stall Chevrolet dealership in La Mesa, California. They verified that the module was fried but they would not comment on the brake situation. They just kept insisting that they couldn't duplicate the problem and the brakes worked fine when the car came in. They kept my car for about two months and then finally told me that the part that I needed was no longer made and they wouldn't be able to repair my car. I'm very thankful that no one was hurt the day that I was driving when the brakes failed. I don't understand how that could happen and neither does anyone else that I talk to, but I do have a witness who drove the car right afterwards and who can attest to the fact that I had no brakes at all. I think it is a serious safety issue and have tried reporting it to NHTSA and to GM. Crickets... I'm just posting it here in case anyone else has had the same situation or has heard of it.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:01 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

That's a strange failure. The EBTC module had to fail so it energized the master cylinder isolation solenoids while at the same time not energizing other solenoids which could provide alternate fluid paths to the calipers.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:12 PM
OUTAKTRL
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

EBCM rebuid at ASAP SPEEDO. Just got mine done.....works perfect.....$60 for the rebuild with lifetime garentee.........
Old 01-03-2015, 07:03 AM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by OUTAKTRL
EBCM rebuid at ASAP SPEEDO. Just got mine done.....works perfect.....$60 for the rebuild with lifetime garentee.........

From what I read the '97-'00 cars have the ones that can't be repaired.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:22 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

I am in process of replacing second EBCM on my 04. First one was under warranty. It is a fault and a safety issue. Same goes for steering position sensor.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:59 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

It appears that once your warranty period is over, GM's message to you is: "Thanks for your purchase, now drop dead!
There should have been many recalls on the C5 (Steering wheel lock, EBCM, valve springs, fuel tank, etc...) but unfortunately GM will only react when faced with class action lawsuits such as the current ones dealing with drivers' deaths.
A recall does not always fix the problem anyhow. Witness the steering wheel lock fiasco where you have to install a CLB or LMC5 after the recall work has been done.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:30 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ITLBTU
Where do you send it? Mine is out as well.
ABSfixer.com if you have a 2001 or NEWER C5.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
ABSfixer.com if you have a 2001 or NEWER C5.
Unless things have changed over the last few years that I have been out of the C5 community he only repairs one failure in the 2001-2004 models. The failed relay. He can't do anything about 99.99% of the other failures that can occur as he doesn't have access to the repair parts which can only come from a chip supplier to the GM supplier who designed the module. Those parts were probably ruled obsolete by that unknown chip supplier before the last of the 2004 models rolled off the assembly line. Chip suppliers change technology about every two years and if a chip technology doesn't sell well (100s of millions of parts/year) it is declared obsolete and production ceases.

Bill
Old 01-05-2015, 02:30 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Unless things have changed over the last few years that I have been out of the C5 community he only repairs one failure in the 2001-2004 models. The failed relay. He can't do anything about 99.99% of the other failures that can occur as he doesn't have access to the repair parts which can only come from a chip supplier to the GM supplier who designed the module. Those parts were probably ruled obsolete by that unknown chip supplier before the last of the 2004 models rolled off the assembly line. Chip suppliers change technology about every two years and if a chip technology doesn't sell well (100s of millions of parts/year) it is declared obsolete and production ceases.

Bill
He has another additional thing he can do to keep the relay contacts from wearing so quickly too I believe.

Read all about it:

http://www.absfixer.com/catalog/prod...fjuaibtt8243f6
Old 01-05-2015, 07:54 PM
vette48
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok; I removed my ebcm and all I did was retouch the five (5) solder joints with a soldering iron . Some times they have a bad joint, crack in solder or a cold solder break. It worked for me no problems for 2 years now. You can get pics of the 5 places to re-solder right here and its from bill curlee. do a search you have nothing to lose .. takes about an hour or so.... good luck..
Old 11-19-2016, 11:19 AM
ronaldjohnson
1st Gear

Originally Posted by itlbtu
where do you send it? Mine is out as well.
mine is out as well where do you send the module?
Old 11-19-2016, 12:11 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

If you have a 2001 or newer C5 send it here: ABSfixer.com Link below.

https://www.absfixer.com/

Good luck getting yours fixed.

Quick Reply: EBCM Issue. Why does'nt GM have a Recall???