C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger door lock and window inop......

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 05:09 PM
dmurf8198
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a very tough day. Cleaned the grounds and Splice PAcks in the engine bay. Was able to get low ohms reading from the Oil level sensor connector and had my Battery checked out it is in good condition. I pulled the Oil Level Sensor pin out of the PCM connector and it had NO effect on engine running. Motor may start if it does it dies, and most of the time I have no fuel pressure. Tomorrow I will begin by testing fuel flow, before the pressure regulator, I think I hear the pump run but have no pressure. If that fails to show fuel flow I will check it at the Fuel Filter. I have swapped the relays around and cleaned and checked the connector. Is it possible the fuel line has come off the fuel pump in the tank??? More tomorrow.
My door jamb connectors are wrapped in Orange tape do I need to take that off to inspect the connectors????
Old 11-24-2008, 09:19 PM
cobra3
Racer

Default wire problems

Hey guys i have a 2002 coupe and had the same problem , no speakers and no door locks or window. The dash went nuts and car would not idle right, I fixed the wires in the door jams and cleaned the grounds in the front kick panels and under the hood on the frame rails . Sence doing so i have not had anymore problems with the doos or the dash.the only other problem I have is the antilock brake and traction control lights stay on.thats another problem though , like a bad control unit.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:40 PM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
It will cost you $165. to get the rest of the story!

Here is the deal. There are two plugs inside the door jam. You need to remove the rubber boot on both ends (it easily pops out) and pull on the wiring harnesses to fish the connectors out of the body. It will look some thing like this:

Look at the connectors and see if you see any bare wires like this:

If so pull the insulation back down and use some electrical tape to isolate the bare wire. You can also use some liquid electrical tape to insulate it. Ant boat store or hard ware store should have it.

let me know how you make out,

Oh,,by the way,,, the drivers side is most likely just like that one. I would do that one too!

BC
Awesome tips as always from BC.

Could this actually "short circuit" the PCM to cause other random codes/issues?
The following users liked this post:
westman (05-11-2021)
Old 06-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by cjlaw73
Awesome tips as always from BC.

Could this actually "short circuit" the PCM to cause other random codes/issues?
When the serial buss is effected, it can cause issues on any and ALl modules. There all connected to the serial buss.

BC
Old 01-24-2010, 07:12 PM
sYcYenko
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Z06 Intermittent door lock issues. Both Doors. Help

Greetings and Salutations. Awesome website. Excellent information and very knowledgeable subscribers on here , so I am hoping I can get some assistance as I have tried all that has been suggested with no success.

I have a 01 ZO6 that is giving me fits with the door locks both manually in the car and with the remote.

I have reviewed the issues of the wiring and shorts and connectivity wit no success in the suggestions. Checked the fuses on the psgr side of the car. Tried to resync the remote that was not successful. Pulled battery in remote. Took door swithes out and re connected.

I cannot lock the doors unless I do it manually by moving the door lock control myself on both doors. I can only unlock the driver side door with the remote. I can only UNLOCK the driver side door with the door unlock button. On the passenger side I can only unlock with door lock button. No remote recognition what so ever on the passenger side.

Seem like a relay is bad or a larger fuse. I am out of ideas and need some help. If it was a total failure then I could just start swapping out parts.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Carl Stuber
www.batterytoppers.com
Old 06-07-2010, 01:07 PM
deimis
Instructor

Wiggling the tube works!!! Amazing how simple this was. Time to cover those wires, this seems to short out after heavy rains, such a simple fix.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:54 PM
U TOSLOW
Instructor

Check my older post as well, this is what happened to me. When it would freak out all guages would sweep and reset, check engine, whole 9 yards.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...k-careful.html
Old 06-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Z0ra6
Instructor

So my passenger door didn't lock at first. And now the window doesn't work. I think it's a timing thing and not this rubber boot issue. My door still unlocks....and I can hear my relays working when I hit the door buttons.

So I probably don't have "this" issue, right? I'm about to get the relays replaced as my next step and most likely I'll do the window regulator.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:15 AM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z0ra6
So my passenger door didn't lock at first. And now the window doesn't work. I think it's a timing thing and not this rubber boot issue. My door still unlocks....and I can hear my relays working when I hit the door buttons.

So I probably don't have "this" issue, right? I'm about to get the relays replaced as my next step and most likely I'll do the window regulator.
Make sure you try wiggling the wiring harnesses in the accordions on both doors. When my passenger door lock and window wouldn't work the problem was actually with the wiring harness on the drivers door.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:00 PM
8NT SLOW
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks to all, I wish I had seen this thread along time ago, happened to me, took it to a dealer who replaced the passenger door control module ($500) and it fixed the problem for one day, now 4 months later I read this thread, go out and shake the rubber boot a few times, didn't work, so I made sure I had a grip on the wire inside and shook it hard, amazing it started working. This weekend I will pull the boots on both sides and tape up any bare wires.

Thanks again to all contributors on this thread.

Bill
boostedfury (01-02-2021)
Old 08-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Bloodvette
Racer

I've had this problem re-occuring on almost a daily basis. every time i wiggle the accordian boot, it goes away for a while. last year, I used liquid electric tape and gobbed it all over the bare wiring and on all the other wire ends where they enter the connector... and it came back.

A number of times I proved it to be in the passenger boot by trying the window, no go, then openning the passenger door and sitting on the rocker panel and try the window again, no go, then give the accordian a wiggle and try the window and yes down it goes. I have proven this a few times, and I checked my connections yesterday, they all look great. this is baffling me. I may have to seperate the connectors tonight and have a real good look inside, and also, as someone earlier suggested, send some wire lume up the wire as far as it'll go.

Is there really a ground connection under the dash that's associated to this harness?
Old 08-13-2010, 02:36 PM
VettManDan
Heel & Toe

Same issue with me on the passenger door. Removed boot, liquid taped the bare wire and all is good. Man, what a great forum and huge thanks to Bill for the technical assist!
Old 08-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Bakersfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by sYcYenko
Greetings and Salutations. Awesome website. Excellent information and very knowledgeable subscribers on here , so I am hoping I can get some assistance as I have tried all that has been suggested with no success.

I have a 01 ZO6 that is giving me fits with the door locks both manually in the car and with the remote.

I have reviewed the issues of the wiring and shorts and connectivity wit no success in the suggestions. Checked the fuses on the psgr side of the car. Tried to resync the remote that was not successful. Pulled battery in remote. Took door swithes out and re connected.

I cannot lock the doors unless I do it manually by moving the door lock control myself on both doors. I can only unlock the driver side door with the remote. I can only UNLOCK the driver side door with the door unlock button. On the passenger side I can only unlock with door lock button. No remote recognition what so ever on the passenger side.

Seem like a relay is bad or a larger fuse. I am out of ideas and need some help. If it was a total failure then I could just start swapping out parts.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Carl Stuber
www.batterytoppers.com
PM sent....
Old 08-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Bloodvette
Racer

I just fixed mine!!! in the passenger side accordian boot, the two connectors one back one blue, I found in the black one, there is a heavier gauge black wire and orange wire. the others are smaller gauge. So obviously the power and ground for both the window motor and door computer. and with a close inspection I found that inside the connector, the female side of the black and the orange were relaxed and making poor contact. This made the computer drop out. I proved this by starting the car with that connector completely disconnected, and sure enough all the exact same alarms on the DIC came rolling in. so anyways, I went in with a small screwdriver from the other side of the connector, where the wire enters, and i forced the female spring flange outward so it would make a tight connection again. Not a permanent fix, but if the problem ever comes back, I know exactly where to look. heat was a factor becuase the metal in the connector was blued.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:13 PM
eodvette
5th Gear

You guys are great!!! had mine go out after stopping to eat on a road trip. When i started up all kinds of warnings and lights came up so i shut it down and restarted...all the warnings left but then the passenger door was without power the rest of the trip home. I got online when I got back and about 15 min later had it up and going again.
Thanks so much.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Kirko66
1st Gear

Just wanted to say thank you for the awesome quick fix.... :-) I almost had a heart attack when my dash lit up like that...... Thanks a million!!
Old 06-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Bloodvette
I've had this problem re-occuring on almost a daily basis. every time i wiggle the accordian boot, it goes away for a while. last year, I used liquid electric tape and gobbed it all over the bare wiring and on all the other wire ends where they enter the connector... and it came back.

A number of times I proved it to be in the passenger boot by trying the window, no go, then openning the passenger door and sitting on the rocker panel and try the window again, no go, then give the accordian a wiggle and try the window and yes down it goes. I have proven this a few times, and I checked my connections yesterday, they all look great. this is baffling me. I may have to seperate the connectors tonight and have a real good look inside, and also, as someone earlier suggested, send some wire lume up the wire as far as it'll go.

Is there really a ground connection under the dash that's associated to this harness?
I MUST ADMIT partial blame for this MYTH. The bare wires in the door connector is NOT the cause for this problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The REAL problem is:

A poor connection in the door connectors!!! lOOK AT the FEMALE pins IN THE DOOR CONNECTOR AND SEE IF THEY ARE deformed and cause a POOR CONNECTION. like this:

Look for beut/deformed FEMALE PINS in the door connectors and fix them. Use a metal pick and bend them back in place.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 06-10-2012 at 09:44 AM.
boostedfury (01-02-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger door lock and window inop......

Old 06-10-2012, 11:17 AM
happiedazs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I MUST ADMIT partial blame for this MYTH. The bare wires in the door connector is NOT the cause for this problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The REAL problem is:

A poor connection in the door connectors!!! lOOK AT the FEMALE pins IN THE DOOR CONNECTOR AND SEE IF THEY ARE deformed and cause a POOR CONNECTION. like this:

Look for beut/deformed FEMALE PINS in the door connectors and fix them. Use a metal pick and bend them back in place.

Bill
Now this makes more sense to me. I couldn't see what that bare wire could short against. My issue is that when I fish the wires out of the body, there is not enough play for me to get my hands on those connectors to pull them apart. I'm going to have to go in from under the dash. Any links to directions on how to do this? Thanks!
Old 06-10-2012, 11:45 AM
BTAL
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

What would be the issue if it is just the passenger lock (actually just un-lock) not working or very rarely working?

My windows are fine just the passenger unlocking.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:16 PM
RocketCity_Z
Heel & Toe

The REAL problem is:

Bill

THIS! I got tired of twisting the tube and then wrapped the wires thinking a wire was shorting but when I examined closer, this female socket had way to much play. I bent the friction pin to close the gap and FINALLY it is fixed..... Thank you Mr. Curlee!

Quick Reply: Passenger door lock and window inop......