C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Installing Vararam Air Intake, Anyone Have Trouble Passing Emissions Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 12:18 PM
HighOctC5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Installing Vararam Air Intake, Anyone Have Trouble Passing Emissions Test

I'm thinking about installing the VR system on my C5. Could you put OEM paper filter back in before inspection?

Thanks for Comments in Advance
Old 06-29-2007, 12:27 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Unless you are throwing codes or have a visual inspection requirements, I don't see that the Vararam would have an adverse affect on passing.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:35 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Unless you are throwing codes or have a visual inspection requirements, I don't see that the Vararam would have an adverse affect on passing.

Unless you have a visual inspection requirement (like we have here in California) you should have no problem. Even with a visual, check your state requirements.

Here in Cali, if the car "fails" the visual (the inspector sees a non-stock intake or exhaust system, for example) you will still pass if you can show that the modification is approved as "legal" by the state (the mod has a CARB "sticker").
Old 06-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

The only intakes that DO have a C.A.R.B. sticker are the Callaway Honker (C5 coupe and vert) and the K&N FIPK. If you don't want to swap out intakes every 2 years, they are your only choices. However, a simple-to-install intake is another way to go. It takes me less than 30 minutes to swap my intake out for a Z06 box.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:47 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Mine passed the sniffer test without any problem at all. And it's a 110k mile car. They do the tests at idle and at a certain rpm.

If you took the sticker off it and changed the red hose coupler to something black most people probably wouldn't even notice it's not stock.

Peter

Get notified of new replies

To After Installing Vararam Air Intake, Anyone Have Trouble Passing Emissions Test

Quick Reply: After Installing Vararam Air Intake, Anyone Have Trouble Passing Emissions Test