C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems downshifting after new motor install....driving me bonkers

Old 07-04-2007, 01:44 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 311 Likes on 210 Posts

Default Problems downshifting after new motor install....driving me bonkers

All,

I installed a new motor back in January. I moved my relatively new LS7 clutch (maybe 12K on it...slave on the car had same amount of miles) to the new motor. At that time the clutch was working great. During the motor swap I didn't touch the hydraulics, torque tube, shifter or the tranny.

Now for some unknown reasons I'm having issues mainly downshifting from 4th to 2nd. Example: exit freeway in 4th, push clutch in, slow down to normal 2nd gear speed, try to put in gear to turn at a light or whatever and its as if its gated or something....it won't go into gear for a second or two. Typically I feel a relatively low frequency vibration coming up through the shifter but its nothing like a gear chatter that occurs when popping out of gear. It feels like something not engaging properly but not a high frequency gear grind. Additionally, I have some up shifting notchyness that I don't think was their before the swap either.

I've bled the clutch and adjusted the shifter a million times with no luck. Re-checked the pressure plate bolts...still tight. I find it hard to believe it would be the tranny as I didn't touch it. My instinct is that the clutch isn't disengaging properly. Anyone have any thoughts? I haven't replaced the master but I may try that.

Last edited by SnowyATX; 07-04-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:35 PM
mvvette97
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I would also say the clutch is the problem. How far do you let the clutch out before it starts to grab? If it's just barely off the floor then that's the problem
Old 07-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

It sounds like your synchronizers are going.
Bill
Old 07-04-2007, 03:47 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mvvette97
I would also say the clutch is the problem. How far do you let the clutch out before it starts to grab? If it's just barely off the floor then that's the problem
It seems to engage maybe 2-3" off the floor. I'm considering mod'ing my master to adjustable to see if that might solve my problem.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:49 PM
mvvette97
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by PewterC5
It seems to engage maybe 2-3" off the floor. I'm considering mod'ing my master to adjustable to see if that might solve my problem.
WOW!! I would say that is your problem. It should come up more before it starts to grab.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:52 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mvvette97
WOW!! I would say that is your problem. It should come up more before it starts to grab.
I installed an adjustable master and introduced some more master cylinder travel into the mix with no change.

Last edited by SnowyATX; 07-09-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:03 AM
Dudly Doright
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Hate to dig up a thread this old BUT I am hoping OP is still around maybe say what fixed this issue? (I did a search and this thread was the closest to what I am experiencing)
I did have the engine out a couple of times now, I bought the car with a bad engine and never drove it before removing engine.

My shifter is Tight and slow as best way too explain it, I can get all gears when I want up and down, But I cant say I could really drive it in anger as the shifting action is so slow and tight.
I haven't tried anything as of yet to try to correct the issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Problems downshifting after new motor install....driving me bonkers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problems downshifting after new motor install....driving me bonkers