C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW TO 99-02 PCM into 97-98 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Don't think that could be easily done as the whole harness would have to be done.
Right, that's what I'm saying -- a conversion harness right at the PCM. All of the pinout information can be had in the right technical manuals.

Of course I don't know how cost effective it would be to make them or where to get the raw materials (connectors) but I am just throwing the idea out there.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:13 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by diynoob
Right, that's what I'm saying -- a conversion harness right at the PCM. All of the pinout information can be had in the right technical manuals.

Of course I don't know how cost effective it would be to make them or where to get the raw materials (connectors) but I am just throwing the idea out there.
No bash intended, but I think the cost would be , from my personnal experience with doing my small re-wiring job.

A better idea might be to sell a kit with all of the tags made up, detailed instructions and a pin removal tool.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:45 AM
0euro@EFIAlchemy.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is still one of my favorite threads. You should consider making a conversion harness, eurospec1. I bet there are a few people that would pay for a plug and play way of making this happen.

(ps, of course if you make one, we'd be delighted to stock and sell it)
Thank you for the compliment!

To be very honest, thats a very interesting proposition, the problem is this swap is kind of unique to each vehicle, year models and options change alot of things with each swap.

The easiest way to do this swap if you dont want to do it yourself is just remove the harness, weve done quite a few of them on the kitchen table for various people around the country

Ahh wow, i did not notice before your in fort myers, not to far away from my neck of the woods
Old 09-22-2007, 08:06 AM
DRIVER456
Melting Slicks

Location: NY- 2013 Corvette Challenge Champion-2013 Index Combo Champion 2015 CC/MM Champion
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I have a 97 C5 and thinking of doing this this winter and I have EFILive,Can I get a 99 pcm from Wait For Me Perf and would I have to buy a another license from EFILive to flash my vin to the 99pcm?Do you use the same connecters,But just put the wires in different spots?..............Paul

Last edited by DRIVER456; 09-22-2007 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:52 AM
0euro@EFIAlchemy.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DRIVER456
I have a 97 C5 and thinking of doing this this winter and I have EFILive,Can I get a 99 pcm from Wait For Me Perf and would I have to buy a another license from EFILive to flash my vin to the 99pcm?Do you use the same connecters,But just put the wires in different spots?..............Paul
Shoot me a PM paul, id be glad to send you my number so i can answer all your questions over the phone, much easier that way
Old 09-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ajg1915
No bash intended, but I think the cost would be , from my personnal experience with doing my small re-wiring job.

A better idea might be to sell a kit with all of the tags made up, detailed instructions and a pin removal tool.
All sound like viable options. Keep in mind though that even if a conversion harness costed $300, that is a steal compared to paying a solid mechanic to do it ($80-$100/hr doesn't get you very far...), a steal compared to spending hours of your own time doing it and miswiring the PCM and either (a) having to start over/troubleshoot or (b) killing the PCM or some of the components inside, a steal compared to swapping the actual harness, and some guys just want to plug and play.

FWIW from my experience with the RoadRunner real-time PCM emulators it seems there are only 3 different pin configurations out there. 97-98, 99-02, and 03+.

IMHO the real question is, are the harness male and female components readily available, what do they cost, and how much room is available underneath the PCM to insert a harness converter. It's been a few months since I've been in my PCM so I can't recall how tight it was in there.

I have no vested interest in making this happen at the moment, I am just lending some support to the OP who IMHO did a fantastic job making something like this happen. I am sure there are plenty of guys with older motor/PCM combos throwing in crazy setups that could benefit from a newer PCM, and when you start talking about the kind of cash required to build a TT car or even a big cube (427+) car, a $300-$400 conversion harness isn't a lot of money.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:47 PM
0euro@EFIAlchemy.com
Former Vendor

All sound like viable options. Keep in mind though that even if a conversion harness costed $300, that is a steal compared to paying a solid mechanic to do it ($80-$100/hr doesn't get you very far...), a steal compared to spending hours of your own time doing it and miswiring the PCM and either (a) having to start over/troubleshoot or (b) killing the PCM or some of the components inside, a steal compared to swapping the actual harness, and some guys just want to plug and play.

FWIW from my experience with the RoadRunner real-time PCM emulators it seems there are only 3 different pin configurations out there. 97-98, 99-02, and 03+.

IMHO the real question is, are the harness male and female components readily available, what do they cost, and how much room is available underneath the PCM to insert a harness converter. It's been a few months since I've been in my PCM so I can't recall how tight it was in there.

I have no vested interest in making this happen at the moment, I am just lending some support to the OP who IMHO did a fantastic job making something like this happen. I am sure there are plenty of guys with older motor/PCM combos throwing in crazy setups that could benefit from a newer PCM, and when you start talking about the kind of cash required to build a TT car or even a big cube (427+) car, a $300-$400 conversion harness isn't a lot of money.

We have researched the viability of doing something like this. The main problem that proves very cost ineffective is the male connectors, it seems the company who made them no longer produces them, so the only way to get them is to take them off of PCM's.

The best way to provide this service through the mail as i said is to just send the entire engine harness, its so easy for us to sit down at the table in the Air conditioning and do the swap comfortably

DIYnoob, thanks for all the kind words, doing this to my Vette was a very big leap for us, scary for certain to do the R&D and make it work, but we got it done and im thouroughly convinced this was the best mod i have done to my car by far
Old 09-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by eurospec1
DIYnoob, thanks for all the kind words, doing this to my Vette was a very big leap for us, scary for certain to do the R&D and make it work, but we got it done and im thouroughly convinced this was the best mod i have done to my car by far
No problem
Old 10-22-2007, 09:06 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I have a C5 which was born in March 2000. I have HPTuners, but noticed that my car's PCM did have RTT. I wanted to change out the PCM so Id have RTT, but unsure when the change over occured. A friend of mine has a 2000 and his has the RTT.

How do I know which PCM will have it, and how the color code works

Thanks
Phil
Old 10-22-2007, 11:04 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phils C5 vette
I have a C5 which was born in March 2000. I have HPTuners, but noticed that my car's PCM did have RTT. I wanted to change out the PCM so Id have RTT, but unsure when the change over occured. A friend of mine has a 2000 and his has the RTT.

Thanks
Phil
RTT is available for the 2000 model year. You could try a different OS for your PCM, as it is a lot easier than rewiring

What OS do you currently have?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:40 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I have OS 9381344 and I have the RTT option, but when opting for the RTT, it changes the OS to 1271005.

Last edited by 'VETTE PHASE; 10-22-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks
Phil
RTT ???? Please explain.

BC
Old 10-23-2007, 12:01 AM
FRCTony
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
RTT ???? Please explain.

BC
Real Time Tuning. It is a function available with many HPTuners custom OSes. At least thats what I think he was talking about.

http://www.thetuningdoctor.com/HPTun...stomsized.html
Old 10-23-2007, 06:11 AM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Correct. Real time tuning.

How can I get the operation system changed ? I was a bit surprised when I didnt have it. That's why I thought Id have to change the PCM.

The OS fix would be a lot easier
Old 10-23-2007, 11:59 AM
0euro@EFIAlchemy.com
Former Vendor

Correct. Real time tuning.

How can I get the operation system changed ? I was a bit surprised when I didnt have it. That's why I thought Id have to change the PCM.

The OS fix would be a lot easier
This is a tuning feature that you must purchase from HPtuners, think it costs 100$ in credits if im not mistaken (im an EFI Live user), you could search the scan and tune forum foff (Bill from HPtuners) just made a nice how-to an how to use the RTT
Old 12-17-2007, 09:42 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default An interesting point......

Originally Posted by voda1
There's two different PCM numbers available.
9354896 --- 99/00
12200411 ---- 01/03
Which one did you use?
Hey guys.... Good job on the conversion.... Everything I read was pretty much on target....

However, I wanted to step in with some information that will save some of you MAJOR heartache when attempting this mod.

I can try to spare you the grief I suffered on a similar conversion into a camaro.

One of the things I found wrong was a statement that ALL computers are the same. 97-98 are same and 04 corvette is by itself and is sometimes found in trucks up to 06 from what I have seen.

Corvettes from 99-03 are also the same, but ARE NOT NECESSARILY THE SAME as a CAMARO cause the Camaro pcm has a chip in it that controls the IDLE AIR CONTROL solenoid on the "non electronic throttle" of the camaro. When you look at the VETTE pcm and where it is installed, there is always a "THROTTLE ACTUATOR CONTROL" or little box that piggybacks the pcm in the fenderwell.

I've installed "corvette" pcm's in camaro's and the pcm flashed normally and started and ran, but the throttle controls would not work....Quite frustrating to say the least. I'm not 100% sure if the same problem can happen in reverse with the vette, but.....check your part numbers.

Do yourself a favor when buying an "ebay" computer for your project, call the dealer first and get a list of the "correct" part numbers available for the pcm in the vette with "ETC"....then work off of that....

I got some lumps on my head from that one.
Chuck CoW
Old 11-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Rconce01
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I am about to order a computer to do this...what is this guy talking about with fuel gauge / cluster issues.

It seems the only issue is the fuel pressure codes according to the author of this thread.

thanks

Originally Posted by voda1
IIR there is issue with fuel sender/cluster gauge. Did you ?

Some links on doing conversion:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4964
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=5066
http://gmtuning.info/wiki/index.php/98PCM

Get notified of new replies

To HOW TO 99-02 PCM into 97-98 Corvette

Old 02-09-2009, 06:45 PM
TimbrSS
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Can someone post the pinout drawings if they have them?
Old 02-10-2009, 02:13 AM
chriskaw7r
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by euro@EFIAlchemy.com
sure do, SH-60B
You Rotor Heads always taking things apart! Great write up! Maybe someday when I feel like it I might look at this! My question is, is it worth it? Does it run better? I have a procharged 97 and I tell yah it seems that the PCM cant keep up with AFR.

If the economy keeps up I might have to join the Navy!
They taking any A&P Mechs?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:26 PM
ZO6ED
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats funny i used to be there at LMCO as a marine on the MEWSS program in the 01 to 05 time frame

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It was good to me also. Spent the last 10 years of my career working on it and had a ball. The Navy people (both civilian and military) I worked with were great.

Bill

Quick Reply: HOW TO 99-02 PCM into 97-98 Corvette