C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran out of gas… due to fuel transfer system failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by joevet
My 98 vet has same problems, 7/8 to 15/16 reading when I fill tank(s). 40-60 miles down the road gauge goes to zero. Continue to drive another 150+ plus miles without stopping,gauge still reads zero. If I shut car off rebotting occurs and gauge is fine. Never happens when tanks are only 1/2 or less full. also sometimes if I make a very hard turn gauge will start working. Dealer printed a GM bulletin ID:788111 #01-06-04-022 (mar16,2001) for 1997-2000 vets. It refers to a julian date code label found on the right and left sender assembly covers. If the RH date is less than '01301' replace the complete assembly with a new fuel sender kit. If the LH date is less the '32791' replace the existing fuel sender sensor and stainer. 32791 is not a julian date so I am lost. What will labor and material cost to do this at a dealer??
Run a can of seafoam with about 6-7 gallons of gas and if it does not work do it one more time. Mine was like yours but its starting to act up again....
Old 05-14-2009, 05:48 AM
1badf350
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guage crapped out last night after 100 miles of driving after filling up at Shell station. I have been having the issue where the gauge only goes to 7/8ths full, now all of a sudden it just slammed to zero.

So how much fuel can I expect to spill?

Last edited by 1badf350; 05-14-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:22 PM
WHITEY97
Instructor

Well this post has been extremely informative for me. My car had just shown the low fuel light on my way to work, which usually means I have 70 miles to go. 5 or so miles later my car just dies on the eway. After $185 towing bill and clueless to what it was i had my good friend and fellow CF member (Jorday) bring his hp tuner over to check it out. Everything looks good so he suggest adding fuel just in case. We did and it fired right up, so i figured just a computer glitch and I won't let it get that low again.

Well today it happened again! This time at over a 1/4 of a tank left, and I had the fuel gage going nuts, showing the correct level, then to empty, then back to the right level. I am going to run a can of seafoam and to see if this corrects the problem, or I may just pull the siphon jet and clean the orifice.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:25 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by WHITEY97
Well this post has been extremely informative for me. My car had just shown the low fuel light on my way to work, which usually means I have 70 miles to go. 5 or so miles later my car just dies on the eway. After $185 towing bill and clueless to what it was i had my good friend and fellow CF member (Jorday) bring his hp tuner over to check it out. Everything looks good so he suggest adding fuel just in case. We did and it fired right up, so i figured just a computer glitch and I won't let it get that low again.

Well today it happened again! This time at over a 1/4 of a tank left, and I had the fuel gage going nuts, showing the correct level, then to empty, then back to the right level. I am going to run a can of seafoam and to see if this corrects the problem, or I may just pull the siphon jet and clean the orifice.
techron
Old 09-10-2009, 02:06 PM
WHITEY97
Instructor

Originally Posted by lucky131969
techron

Ok, I'll look for techron instead of seafoam then. So how much time is roughly involved with taking about the jet siphon pump and cleaning the orifice yourself?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:14 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, I'll look for techron instead of seafoam then. So how much time is roughly involved with taking about the jet siphon pump and cleaning the orifice yourself?
Make sure it's Techron Concentrated PLUS!!!! Get the "20gal" size bottle.

Good luck....
Old 09-12-2009, 04:51 AM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Not counting the time spent draining the fuel I think you should be able to remove, repair, and reinstall the sending unit within a couple of hours.

Once the sending unit assembly is removed from the gas tank be sure that you remove the fuel hose from both ends of the jet/siphon pump prior to pushing a wire through the orifice. Position the jet/siphon pump over a paper plate prior to pushing a wire through to clear the obstruction. Hopefully this will help you to actually see the tiny culprit (debris) and know that you did some good.
If you only disconnect the hose from one end of the jet/orifice pump and run a wire through it the small piece of debris may end up clogging the orifice again.

The worst part of the job is getting most of the fuel out of the right side tank before pulling the sending unit assembly. It can be a messy job.
I had the car on my 4-post lift and used gravity to drain the fuel. With the tank being nearly full of fuel it took a while to drain.
Using an inexpensive in-line electric fuel pump connected to a section of fuel hose could work well to speed up the draining process.

I reused the small bolts and rubber gasket when reinstalling the sending unit in the tank (twice). No problems with leaks.

Good luck with the repair. Be sure to let us know how it goes and post up any tips and tricks you learn along the way.

Mike
Old 09-12-2009, 09:02 PM
ONE BMF
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fixvet
Make sure it's Techron Concentrated PLUS!!!! Get the "20gal" size bottle.

Good luck....
I think he meant " 20 oz " size !!
Old 09-12-2009, 09:47 PM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKER

The worst part of the job is getting most of the fuel out of the right side tank before pulling the sending unit assembly. It can be a messy job.
I had the car on my 4-post lift and used gravity to drain the fuel. With the tank being nearly full of fuel it took a while to drain.
Using an inexpensive in-line electric fuel pump connected to a section of fuel hose could work well to speed up the draining process.

I used the method described in the link below; pull the fuel line from the engine bay (right near intake manifold) and jump the relay on the fuel pump. Actually was kinda cool and you can reuse the fuel as you pump it right into an auxiliary tank...

http://www.aacorvette.com/pdf/aa_fue...structions.pdf

Old 09-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by ONE BMF
I think he meant " 20 oz " size !!
I believe it comes in "treats 12 gall" and "treats 20 gall" sizes. That's what he was referring to.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:08 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been following this thread because I've had gas gauge problems but I think mine is a little different. I bought an '03z in July. Pretty soon after the gauge went to E. Called a dealer who told me to drive it almost empty and bring it in. At 1/2 full, the gauge starting reading correctly. Brought it in almost empty (so I did get a full tank's worth of mileage out of it) and he changed out the right side sending unit. Do not know yet if that also included the jet siphon assembly. This was done under warranty because I transferred a GMPP plan (which has since expired).

Got the car back, topped it off and the gauge was working correctly. Drove one full tank, topped it off, drove 10 miles and the gauge went to E again. Called him and he said bring it in

what do you guys think?
Old 09-16-2009, 11:47 AM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
I've been following this thread because I've had gas gauge problems but I think mine is a little different. I bought an '03z in July. Pretty soon after the gauge went to E. Called a dealer who told me to drive it almost empty and bring it in. At 1/2 full, the gauge starting reading correctly. Brought it in almost empty (so I did get a full tank's worth of mileage out of it) and he changed out the right side sending unit. Do not know yet if that also included the jet siphon assembly. This was done under warranty because I transferred a GMPP plan (which has since expired).

Got the car back, topped it off and the gauge was working correctly. Drove one full tank, topped it off, drove 10 miles and the gauge went to E again. Called him and he said bring it in

what do you guys think?
The jet siphon is in the right side sending unit. Post 14 in this thread has a picture of it. Do an advanced search with "gas gauge" in C5 tech; I recall there are a few threads on it.

Does you work order show how much the charge for parts and labor would have been for the repair???
Old 09-16-2009, 12:02 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes I saw that picture ... looks like either part could be replaced independently so I'm not sure what they did. Certainly I can call and ask. The work order states what they did .. not sure if it states whether that jet siphon part was replaced or what the retail charge would have been if not for the GMPP ... I do recall he verbally told me something like $500 for the parts and several hours of labor. So likely would have been over $700. I'd rather live with it as is than pay that .. of course the check gauges light would eventually burn out

I'm trying to piece together parts of these threads to come up with DIY instructions on dropping the tank(s) and R&R'ing this myself for future reference. That level of work might be beyond me.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:33 PM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
yes I saw that picture ... looks like either part could be replaced independently so I'm not sure what they did. Certainly I can call and ask. The work order states what they did .. not sure if it states whether that jet siphon part was replaced or what the retail charge would have been if not for the GMPP ... I do recall he verbally told me something like $500 for the parts and several hours of labor. So likely would have been over $700. I'd rather live with it as is than pay that .. of course the check gauges light would eventually burn out

I'm trying to piece together parts of these threads to come up with DIY instructions on dropping the tank(s) and R&R'ing this myself for future reference. That level of work might be beyond me.
The dealer will not "rebuild" or service the part, so you got a whole new part, the floater, siphon, and all. Yep, the right side senders are a $500 part from the dealer, I got mine urgent status at Napa for $371, they are on Ebay for 289. You have no worries in that regard because you have a new one now. My brother and I did my right side sender, just basic tools and skills. I "rebuilt" my ignition switch the day after, now that got a little tricky...
Old 01-19-2010, 09:59 PM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had a similar issue in my '09 C6 Z06. I was curious about how common a problem it was, and this thread in CF C5 Tech was one of the (relatively) few references I found on the interweb.

my thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...0-miles-2.html
Old 01-19-2010, 10:17 PM
maroman88
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after reading thses threads yesterday and today, i went and bought a few cans of B-12 CHEMTOOL... guna see if it fixes my no all the way full problem lol
Old 01-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Bill Morgan
Intermediate

Default Gas tank problems. How to guide!

Great info in these posts. And while our Vettes do have some problems, a Porsche 928 (German Corvette) is much much worse. One of the guys on this post suggested a DIY pictorial guide, which sounds like a great idea. If one of you more experienced guys could help us out it would be a very valuable thing to have on the forum.

I am a newbe and also need a guide on how to safely jackup my 2003 c5. Do I need to buy some assesories or what?

After reading and experiencing gas tank/gage problems it is obvious I am going to have to clean out the jet/venturi pump on the right tank. I am concerned about getting the gas out safely and a pictorial step by step would be great. We have this type of content on the rennlist for the 928 on about anything you want to do.

HELP!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Ran out of gas… due to fuel transfer system failure

Old 01-20-2010, 01:49 PM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Morgan
[...]
I am a newbe and also need a guide on how to safely jackup my 2003 c5. Do I need to buy some assesories or what?
[...]
HELP!!!!

the first things i bought when i got my C5 were:
GM service manual set
rhino ramps
low profile jack

those three things, and spending time browsing and searching through posts on this site, got me a long way.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by molon labe
the first things i bought when i got my C5 were:
GM service manual set
rhino ramps
low profile jack

those three things, and spending time browsing and searching through posts on this site, got me a long way.

100% On the mark!

If your going to own the car, you might as well get to know it and save some cash.

I have a SEARS low profile jack and it works fantastic.

I really have THREE jacks (two are LOW PROFILE) which makes jacking a C5/C6 a snap:

I have jacked my Vettes higher than this BUT,,,,,,It takes ***** and talent. Get your self a set of manuals from Gene Culley ( www.gmpartshouse.com ) a jack and a set of jack stands and some basic tools and you wont regret it.

I do ALL my own work. If your a NO TALENT NON MECHANIC, I'm very sure that there are people in your area who will be ready willing and ready to assist you. Post a need help post in your EVENTS/Regional section for your area. Hell Pizza and BEER will bring in DROVES of C5/C6 owners and plenty of mechanical talent.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Bill Morgan
Intermediate

Default Lets get GM to FIX THEIR PROBLEM!

Well it happened again and I am getting fed up!!!!!!

I had the same problem Friday (second time in 4 months). Gas gage was at 1/4 tank and my Vette ran out of gas stranding me on a cold rainy night during rush hour traffic. When I did get gas and got to a gas station I could only get about 12.5 gallons in the tank (including what I had put in with a gas can).

The problem is obviously that the right tank jet venturi pump is not pumping gas to the left tank (as per the GM Mickey Mouse design) and although I had about 5 gallons in the right tank, the left tank was empty. Now I have used Techron, Sea Foam and anything else recommended until I am blue in the face.

It is time we got the National Transportation Safety Board on GM,s butt to get this fixed. This is clearly a safety recall item that needs to get fixed by GM.

It is dangerous to run out of gas unexpectedly. You could easily be putting yourself and others in harms way. As for repairs, opening a gas tank that still has gas in it and spilling it on yourself and on the floor around you is about as dangerous an operation that one can perform on an automobile. VERY DANGEROUS!!!

Who on the forum is interested in forming a group to bring this very serious safety problem to the attention of the manufacturer and the government.

The Corvette is a fabulous car, but GM does not apparently give a R_ts _ss about their reputation. Thats their problem, they have no pride in the ultimate quality of what they make.

We need to help them understand why they are the incredible shrinking car company.

Lets get together and get GM off of their duff!!!

PS: I am NOT paying GM $1300.00 to correct this problem.

Quick Reply: Ran out of gas… due to fuel transfer system failure