C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, crank pulley loose!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 12:11 AM
mlm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help, crank pulley loose!

The bolt that holds the crank pulley came loose. Pulley wobbling very badly. How much damage could I have done? What do I need to do to fix this? I expect to have to drop the steering rack. Any info, even if I don't want to hear it, will be helpful. Thanks Mike
Old 07-21-2007, 12:29 AM
mvvette97
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

yep, drop the rack and get a new balancer. Oh, get a new bolt for sure
Old 07-21-2007, 01:07 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by mlm
The bolt that holds the crank pulley came loose. Pulley wobbling very badly.
Was the crank pulley/damper ever worked on? Don't think it's common for that bolt to loosen by itself since its torque is almost 250 ft-lbs.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:21 AM
0euro@EFIAlchemy.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Was the crank pulley/damper ever worked on? Don't think it's common for that bolt to loosen by itself since its torque is almost 250 ft-lbs.
Actually its a pretty common problem for our cars, get a new pulley and i highly suggest you get the ARP pulley bolt, that sucker will never back off again
Old 07-21-2007, 02:02 AM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eurospec1
Actually its a pretty common problem for our cars, get a new pulley and i highly suggest you get the ARP pulley bolt, that sucker will never back off again
also install a under drive pulley while you have it off..
Old 07-21-2007, 02:03 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by eurospec1
Should the damper bolt torque be checked periodically? I've never heard of anyone having a problem with the damper bolt coming loose from the factory if it wasn't messed with.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:47 AM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

My friend bought a 99 from a guy who drove it real mellow. After 2 weeks of raping on it, we were driving and shredded half of the belt. Sure enough, the pulley walked and the bolt was loose.
He had GMPP and took it in. Those freakin butt burglar stealership guys said they had to put a new crank in it. I took a look at the car while it was on the rack with the pulley off and inspected it. Both the crank and pulley were fine, it just needed a new bolt. They insisted on saying they needed a crank and charged GM the warranty work. I know for a fact they didnt replace anything other than the Pulley and bolt.........I checked the car after supposed crank replacement.
Midway Chevrolet

Being a former dealership tech myself, I was a little pissed off, but it wasnt my car.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:16 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Should the damper bolt torque be checked periodically? I've never heard of anyone having a problem with the damper bolt coming loose from the factory if it wasn't messed with.
Actually, there is no torque value on this bolt, only a rotation. You can mark it and keep an eye on the marks. If you use a torque wrench to install, it isn't correctly preloaded and it can back out as a result.

If the original bolt backed out, it may very well be the harmonic damper is starting to go and needs replacement. I would get a new damper, seal and bolt. Personally, I would also pin the crank and get a damper with a key to engage the pin.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:36 PM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gpracer1
My friend bought a 99 from a guy who drove it real mellow. After 2 weeks of raping on it, we were driving and shredded half of the belt. Sure enough, the pulley walked and the bolt was loose.
He had GMPP and took it in. Those freakin butt burglar stealership guys said they had to put a new crank in it. I took a look at the car while it was on the rack with the pulley off and inspected it. Both the crank and pulley were fine, it just needed a new bolt. They insisted on saying they needed a crank and charged GM the warranty work. I know for a fact they didnt replace anything other than the Pulley and bolt.........I checked the car after supposed crank replacement.
Midway Chevrolet

Being a former dealership tech myself, I was a little pissed off, but it wasnt my car.
wow, sounds like a local dealer here called Green chevrolet....very unprofessional
Old 07-21-2007, 12:38 PM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know alot of the guys say get aftermarket this, aftermarket that...but this is one piece that if you are going to replace, get a better one. the stock one is garbage and wobbles. If and when I take mine apart again, I will switch to a aftermarket better quality piece. But def get a new bolt, you HAVE to. Also, vettenuts really knows his stuff with this pulley, talk to him about what tool to use to put the pulley back on
Old 07-21-2007, 10:59 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

This is probably a moot point - but are you sure the bolt is loose?

The Crank Pulley can wobble without the bolt being loose since it has a rubber dampener that can start to seperate.

If its just barely wobbling, it may not be as big of a deal as you think, but probably still needs to be changed.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:07 PM
mlm
Racer

Default No question about it.

It is completely loose. The only reason that all of it is not laying on the "tail of the dragon" is because there was not enough room for it to fall out. The "dragon" is a local stretch of road with alot of curves. I am trying to decide on which parts to put back on. I am willing to spend the extra money to make it right, so that I don't have to do this again. I think whoever tightened the bolt last time did not change the bolt. The car is low milage with heads, cam, underdrive pulley etc. Anyway, if you have any suggestions as to which company makes the best stuff, let me know. Thanks Mike
Old 07-23-2007, 05:16 AM
mlm
Racer

Default bump for parts info

Anybody have good results with certain seals, bolts or balancer?
Old 07-23-2007, 06:00 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Seal: Get the GM part
Balancer: I am running the ATI which is a good unit, but it is also more than others. It comes with a keyway for pinning the crank and is fully rebuildable. It is 10% underdrive
Bolt: You can go stock or ARP, I pinned the crank and used the ARP bolt installed per the ARP instructions which differ from the stock bolt.

Get/make an installation tool. Don't try to use a longer bolt, a lot of guys have damaged their crank threads using this method. In my opinion it is very high risk. This is the tools I made for under $20 to re-install the pulley (harmonic damper).

Old 07-23-2007, 07:02 AM
mlm
Racer

Default awesome

Thanks, I may have a few more questions once I get it taken apart.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:44 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mlm
It is completely loose. ..... I think whoever tightened the bolt last time did not change the bolt. .... underdrive pulley.
So someone was messing around with the crank pulley.

It's still hard for me to believe some guys have had the factory installed bolt back out or come out. The only thing I could imagine is if that the factory bolt wasn't torque it right by GM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help, crank pulley loose!

Quick Reply: Help, crank pulley loose!