C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking noise - engine won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 06:00 PM
2GVETTE
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clicking noise - engine won't turn over

Hi All,

Have a 2000 C5. Drove all day yesterday with no problems starting, running etc. Go out this morning to start and got "click, click, click, etc.." Not a sign of turn over. There was power on the dash, headlights, etc. but I did get a "low voltage" message on the DIC - was showing about 9.5 volts. I charged the battery for 20 minutes, voltage on charger and on the DIC was showing, 14.5 volts. Tried to start again and got click, click, click. Help, what could this be...battery, starter, alternator...how do I approach this?

Old 09-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Bruceatlam
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a new battery ---------
Old 09-04-2007, 06:19 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

While your battery may be charged to 14.5 volts, your battery connections/cables might not be up to par.
Check both the positive and negative cables (14.5 volts, so be careful!) to make sure they're tight. Don't be surprised if they're loose and/or corroded. Don't be surprised if one or the other doesn't snap off due to corrosion. If that happens, check for corrosion damage beneath the battery at the PCM.
If you do find corrosion at the connections, chances are that the cables also have a green tinge to them, indicating corrosion has worked its way up the cables from the battery. You might need to replace the cables if they're corroded. If the battery took a charge, it might be ok, depending on its service date.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:23 PM
2GVETTE
Advanced

So this doesn't sound like a starter or alternator problem? If it was, how would you know?
The following users liked this post:
BWilcox (09-19-2021)
Old 09-04-2007, 06:27 PM
04BlueGoose
Racer

If this is a 2000 with the original battery you are overdue for this "problem". A lot of us have been caught just like this.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:27 PM
2GVETTE
Advanced

This is the second battery...first one was toast along time ago. Can anyone chime in on diagnosis of if it may be a starter or alternator. I will try the install of a new battery first.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Bad battery, has dead cells. May charge to 14.5 volts but you can still have dead cells and get that reading. When you try and start it is when you'll see the drop as your battery doesn't have the amperage needed to engage the starter or start the engine. What's your voltage while running?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:40 PM
2GVETTE
Advanced

Won't start now, but I think it was around 13 while running
Old 09-04-2007, 07:48 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

A lot of people jump on "battery" first on any problems with charge systems, starting, odd problems. Before you change anything, try this. Reach down beside the battery compartment, near the exhaust manifold and take hold of the large red wire going to the starter. Wiggle it and watch the starter end. If you see any movement, one of two things has happened. One, the nut is loose. Two (and by far the most likely) is that the bakelite connector in the starter has fried and is making poor contact. If you disconnect the battery and try to tighten the bolt on the starter, the post will pull out of the starter. I've seen it personally on two C5's now and read about more. The last one was this past month on an 03 Z06 with 12k on it. If you have headers, it's even more likely due to the heat so close to the connection.
Either way, do this easy test first. The Z06 owner had the alternator and battery changed and each time thought the problem was fixed. I asked him a couple of times to check the starter connection, but he didn't until the car was doing the exact same thing as your's is doing now. By this time the post was burned so badly it fell out and the car had to be flat bedded to the dealer for a starter. Just check it and post back what you find.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:54 PM
2GVETTE
Advanced

Thanks for the tip, I will try route that and see what comes up...I'll let you know
Old 09-04-2007, 08:16 PM
2GVETTE
Advanced

65GGvert you were right on it!!!!!!!!! I wiggled it and it seemed loose. Was able to tighten it slightly and the car just started right up. All systems go!

I had some horrific money thoughts about what was going to happen if I had to take this thing to the stealership. I love this forum and all the knowledge from shared past experiences.

Thanks Again!
Old 09-04-2007, 08:25 PM
B.Mears
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2GVETTE
65GGvert you were right on it!!!!!!!!! I wiggled it and it seemed loose. Was able to tighten it slightly and the car just started right up. All systems go!

I had some horrific money thoughts about what was going to happen if I had to take this thing to the stealership. I love this forum and all the knowledge from shared past experiences.

Thanks Again!
This is why i love this forum there is always someone here willing to help you out when your freaking out AND 99% OF THE TIME PROBLEM SOLVED

B.Mears
Old 09-04-2007, 09:38 PM
VLVETTE
Melting Slicks

Thanks Again!
:
This why I dig this forum. It has bailed me out more than a few times
Old 09-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Autobot
Racer

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
A lot of people jump on "battery" first on any problems with charge systems, starting, odd problems. Before you change anything, try this. Reach down beside the battery compartment, near the exhaust manifold and take hold of the large red wire going to the starter. Wiggle it and watch the starter end. If you see any movement, one of two things has happened. One, the nut is loose. Two (and by far the most likely) is that the bakelite connector in the starter has fried and is making poor contact. If you disconnect the battery and try to tighten the bolt on the starter, the post will pull out of the starter. I've seen it personally on two C5's now and read about more. The last one was this past month on an 03 Z06 with 12k on it. If you have headers, it's even more likely due to the heat so close to the connection.
Either way, do this easy test first. The Z06 owner had the alternator and battery changed and each time thought the problem was fixed. I asked him a couple of times to check the starter connection, but he didn't until the car was doing the exact same thing as your's is doing now. By this time the post was burned so badly it fell out and the car had to be flat bedded to the dealer for a starter. Just check it and post back what you find.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:35 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Thanks Again!
Glad it helped. Keep an eye on it. If the post mount is burned, it'll probably work loose again. If so, new starter time. The post itself will get loose and rock if it's burned. Maybe the screw just vibrated loose and you'll be ok.

Get notified of new replies

To Clicking noise - engine won't turn over

Quick Reply: Clicking noise - engine won't turn over