C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to fix your hazard flasher/turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HD_Honey
Front bulb is an led & only half of it is working--so replacing that bulb--however, the rear bulbs are standard bulbs & still good. So in the end, still don't have rear pass blinkers--got brake lights & flashers--
If all the bulbs are good, it's starting to sound like the turn signal switch.

Member Lionelhutz is good with issues such as this. I would PM him. He would probably be able to nail it down for you.

When we bought our '02, the signals only worked part time, big pain and safety hazard.
This Permanent and easy Fix costs $9.00 and about 45 min. time to complete.

Hope you can get the signals working.

Bob

Last edited by Rebel 1; 10-21-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:38 AM
Dr. Pham
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had this happen to me and was able to fix it with the help of this thread! Thank you to Lionelhutz for the directions and write up!

As others had experienced, my turn signals stop working at times and worked fine other times. When they stopped working, pushing on the hazard switch would get them going again, but sometimes that would only last for a few miles then they would go out again.

I decided to just bypass the hazard switch completely for the left and right turn signal. Hazard button still works the same. I specifically sought out the Tridon EL12 Flasher at Autozone since it is electro-magnetic based as opposed to thermal based. It will last 10X longer! The thermal based flashers are usually square cubes or cylinder shaped. They are also cheaper for a reason $3.99 vs $8.99. On the Tridon EL12 you can see the electro-magnetism working as it clicks on and off since the housing is transparent.

Lionelhutz's write up was pretty clear and easy to follow. Everything works just fine and now no worries of the turn signal going out.

Thank you!
Old 08-07-2011, 05:18 PM
WichitaZ06
1st Gear

Originally Posted by RSchleder
I recommend you buy a flasher assembly from a supporting vendor, Corvette Enhancements. They sell the small flasher/cable assembly that takes 15 minutes to install and bi-passes the OEM flasher which is prone to go bad again. The assembly sold by Corvette enhancements sells for about $50 and is a terrific product/upgrade.
Thanks, The dealer wants $189 to fix hazard switch and I can't see myself taking my dash apart and even taking my radio out. The bypass price went up to $68 but it sounds like a simple fix. It says all you do is remove 4 screws on the steering column, unplug one connection and fit in the bypass box and put the column cover back on and it is fixed in 15 minutes. Sounds easy enough I am going to attempt it.

Last edited by WichitaZ06; 08-07-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:09 AM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by FL_Dave
A friend from this forum stopped by today with the intermittent turn signal problem. A few years back I posted that one could drill a small hole and squirt electrical cleaner inside. We tried this trick and, so far, so good. The whole process takes 10 minutes - much easier than a switch replacement.

This is what the flasher looks like when taken apart.

Here are the best drill locations.

Just pop off the flasher button and use a dremel and small drill bit to create a hole large enough to accept the straw from the electrical cleaner. (Practice the hole on a scrap first. The bit is smaller than I first thought.) I only drilled one hole. Put the straw in and hooked up the spray can. A quick squirt, work the flasher, a few more squirts, then work the flasher again.
\
Holy tape player
Old 08-08-2011, 12:09 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by ZZ06
\
Holy tape player

Hey now that's my dash. lol

That's how I used to get my Xm radio to work.

I need to find my Bee Gees cassette since I dont use my Xm anymore.

Last week I installed the flasher bypass with hopes of fixing the problem. I dont use the car enough to worry about it. Im also getting LED tail lights today to justify the bypass lol.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:59 AM
MSUVette
Advanced

After detailing my, new to me, '02 last night I drove it around the block and my turn signals would not work! After a few trys, my left signal blinked 2 or 3 times and then nothing. I checked my hazards and they work fine Since I've been around Vettes all of my life I know that they are quirky so I didn't freak out, I just got up this morning and checked the forum and it seems there is a fix I'll try the "cycling hazard switch" fix first to see if it helps. If it does I'll go ahead and do the bypass since I will be driving this car often. Thanks for the write-up guys!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:08 PM
bdog
Instructor

Subscribed!!!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 02:42 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by HD_Honey
Front bulb is an led & only half of it is working--so replacing that bulb--however, the rear bulbs are standard bulbs & still good. So in the end, still don't have rear pass blinkers--got brake lights & flashers--
If all the other lights work right then it's likely the turn signal switch.

And when I say all other lights, I mean try all combinations of turn, tail, brake etc and ensure all other lights work as they should except the rear right turn.

Peter
Old 08-09-2011, 09:08 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

I fixed mine at the same time I did my ipod adapter install since the radio had to come out anyway. It took longer to get to the switch than it did to actually change out the switch. Taking off the knee bolster under the steering wheel helped a lot.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:31 PM
nauticalguyct
5th Gear

Default Thank You

I just changed my switch on my 2000. Your diagram helped immensely.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:36 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel 1
Easy fix for this problem. Takes about 45 minutes and $9.00. I used Tridon flasher #EL12 from Autozone.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1569256474-post50.html
What is the other product he has in that picture? It has the corvette logo on it. My turn signals are giving me major problems now. Figured the bypass would be better since my hazards still work. Just need to know what exactly I'll need to do it.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:02 AM
docohm
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06
What is the other product he has in that picture? It has the corvette logo on it. My turn signals are giving me major problems now. Figured the bypass would be better since my hazards still work. Just need to know what exactly I'll need to do it.
The package on the left? That is the pigtail used to plug the flasher in to. You only need a 2-wire type but all he could find at the shop was the 3-wire type so you just use 2 of the 3 wires.

I would suggest getting the better all electronic flasher as described in one of the earlier posts. They will last longer.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:08 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by docohm
The package on the left? That is the pigtail used to plug the flasher in to. You only need a 2-wire type but all he could find at the shop was the 3-wire type so you just use 2 of the 3 wires.

I would suggest getting the better all electronic flasher as described in one of the earlier posts. They will last longer.
Can I purchase all this from Autozone/Orielly? If so what are the exact part numbers?
Old 10-24-2011, 12:09 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Can I purchase all this from Autozone/Orielly? If so what are the exact part numbers?
Order one of these and call it a day

http://www.shop.jwmotoring.com/produ...2&categoryId=4

Easy swap
Old 10-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Are you speaking about the wire pigtail? No need to buy if you have 2 wires(about 8 inches long) and put female terminals on them. The only item you need is the $9.00 flasher to connect your 2 wires to it. That's it.

Bob
Old 10-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

I bought mine from Autozone. Pretty sure others have it as well. It is the Tridon EL12 electronic flasher. High quality item.

Bob
Old 12-02-2011, 04:25 PM
mtdoragary
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reckon I'll buy an EL12 tonight.

Get notified of new replies

To How to fix your hazard flasher/turn signal problem

Old 12-23-2011, 07:28 PM
KY Brian
Advanced

I got the EL12 flasher and a similiar plug(pigtail) to that in the picture at autozone and I installed it like mentioned in this thread in about 45 minutes. This thread made it so easy to do. My only problem was I snapped a piece of the sensor clip off when I was tring to unplug it but thats no big deal because it still went back in like it was originally.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Iwant1c5z
Advanced

Ok so just bought this car on jan 21st. The right rear outer led tail light (not a euro or halo) is having issues. The light works when the running lights are on. It also works when the ignition is on acc but doesnt work at all when the engine is on. No brakes, turn signal, flashers yada yada. So if it was a fuse or short or something along those lines why would the inside passenger tail light work in all instances but the outer doesnt?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Iwant1c5z
Advanced

Any thoughts? Think I should change the flasher assembly?

Quick Reply: How to fix your hazard flasher/turn signal problem