C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing spark plug wires. A few questions if you don't mind?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:14 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Default changing spark plug wires. A few questions if you don't mind?

I am getting ready to change spark plug wires and was curious...

Do you guys do this?

Use your finger to spread the dielectric grease around the ceramic portion of the spark plug. This will help maintain a dry environment for the spark plug to wire connection. The grease will also make reinstallation of the plug wires easier.

and do you do this?

Next, apply a small amount of dielectric grease inside the spark plug wire. This will also help with proper fitment of the spark plug wire over the spark plug terminal during reinstallation.

The reason I want to change the wires is I believe my car is not running to full potiential. Sometimes ...I take off the wires and reinstall them and the car runs great...then about a week later I have to do this again..

I figure I need to burp the wires?

Any thoughts?

I figure new wires, with the appropriate dielectric grease and then burping the wires ..

Yes I have a good click on the plugs and double click on the coils and still have some sort of issue cropping up.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2007, 10:42 PM
jirasvet
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen where to much dielectric grease was used where somebody just packed the whole boot and it was causing wires to pop off even after you would hear them click. Created some kind of vacuum lock

Next, apply a small amount of dielectric grease inside the spark plug wire. This will also help with proper fitment of the spark plug wire over the spark plug terminal during reinstallation.
I just put a dab on the terminal plug end, and enough to close the opening on the boot end and pack a little in the boot opening. then squeeze the boot to help distibute the grease through boot. slider on

Your basically doing the same as me but I do not feel the need to put it on the porcelain. If you put it evenly on the boot it should still seal around the plug an wire.

You will find everyone has there way of doing something
Old 09-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Bullet
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might as well change the plugs while your at it. How many miles are on the existing? It may be a plug problem.
Oh, and I used the grease on my plug tips before putting the boots on.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:14 AM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Non conductive grease..........

JerriVette ,dielectric grease is a non conductive lubricant. Its neutral and forms an excellant O2 block. It is also used to conduct heat and dissipate that heat between two contact metal componets. Remeber it keeps out moisture and oxygen so the contact stays clean.

I will add grease to the boot with a Q tip and just a mear smear to the plug terminal. This will lube the plug boot, seal the boot and ensure a clean contact between the plug terminal and plug wire terminal connector.

JerriVette, are you using an anti seizing on your plug threads? If so use it sparingly for anumber of reasons. Anti seizing is typically made from conductive metals and if it comes in contact with the core could cause misfire. Also anti seizing can have torque multiplying effects.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I use a small thin tyewrap and insert it into the boot and then slide the boot on to the plug. Once its on, pull up slightly on the tyewrap and the trapped air will come out. Then just pull the tyewrap out.

Sounds like you have the dielectric grease procedure covered!
Old 09-26-2007, 12:09 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I use a small thin tyewrap and insert it into the boot and then slide the boot on to the plug. Once its on, pull up slightly on the tyewrap and the trapped air will come out. Then just pull the tyewrap out.

Sounds like you have the dielectric grease procedure covered!
Bill---great idea !! you always are in the know---When I was racing in nascar my crew would burp the fuel dump cans the same exact way with a tye wrap-turn the cans up-side-down then pull the wrap out to burp the air-otherwise the fuel would not flow out if it had an air bubble in the fill line--With the plug boots --I have MSD coils and they fit much tighter than stock-and want to pop off--I tried the tye wrap trick this AM and they snap right on without wanting to come-off-and then pull the wrap out and they are tighter than ever !!!THNKS---
Old 09-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Its EXCELLENT to be able to help you!

Bill
Old 10-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The silicone boots chemically BOND to the ceramic. The diletric grease reduces the tendacy for this to occur.

Get notified of new replies

To changing spark plug wires. A few questions if you don't mind?

Quick Reply: changing spark plug wires. A few questions if you don't mind?