C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any HP left on the table with intake or injectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:21 PM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

Location: If your not the lead dog the view never changes Boise, Id
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Any HP left on the table with intake or injectors

Before I start putting back the stock intake on my base 04 with just a cold air intake and cat back, is there any performance gains with an aftermarket intake or fuel injectors on a stock engine or did the General match it all up for the most part?
Old 07-28-2016, 11:28 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyL32
Before I start putting back the stock intake on my base 04 with just a cold air intake and cat back, is there any performance gains with an aftermarket intake or fuel injectors on a stock engine or did the General match it all up for the most part?
No gains to be had there. The aftermarket intakes and larger injectors are for modified engines. Your 04 came with the LS6 intake and the stock injectors are plenty big enough.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:04 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by BigGun
No gains to be had there. The aftermarket intakes and larger injectors are for modified engines. Your 04 came with the LS6 intake and the stock injectors are plenty big enough.
100% on the mark!!!! ZERO GAINS until you go much bigger heads, higher compression and a LOT more breathing mods.

BC
Old 07-30-2016, 11:52 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have personal experience with this and Bill told me to post up what happened in my particular case. I had personal experience with this exact swap on my bolt on 2000 Camaro SS A4. My car did have headers already but I picked up from a baseline of 308 RWHP to 333 RWHP on my car going from an LS6 intake to a Tony Mamo ported FAST 90 and 90mm throttle body. Jeff Creech @ Carolina Auto Masters did it for me. Before blasting how low my numbers were consider I had an A4, PT4000 converter, 12 bolt rear and slicks when on the dyno, all of which cost me HP there. He also told me he did not expect to see any gains and honestly couldn't believe what he saw as the engine didn't need any more airflow on the intake side according to him. I did have stock injectors however. Jeff had previously tuned the car for the headers a couple of months earlier so the gain was real and not some other tuner's "magic". Just letting you know what hapened with my car. The downside was the cost of just the parts for this gain. Intake was 800 dollars. Porting was 600. Throttle body was 400. Add in installation if you don't do it yourself and then a retune to make sure it's perfect and you're looking at well over 2000 for 25 horsepower. Then there was the shipping and the wait time on getting the ported intake back from Tony was around a month when I did it. I'm sure it's less now but that's what it was. A non-Mamo ported intake would not have offered anywhere near these gains I'm sure. These are real world numbers and I'm sure anyone can duplicate my exact gain following this recipe. Another upside is that when I went with cam/heads because of how well I had prepared for it, I gained 150 to the tires with ported LS6 heads and cam from Vengeance racing. No way I would have gained that with the LS6 intake still. It's all about getting the right combo of parts to make power. What I did was waaaaay overkill for a stock motor but it did work. And quite well. Take this for what it's worth.
The following users liked this post:
RockyL32 (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 07:27 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by smokinstorm
I have personal experience with this and Bill told me to post up what happened in my particular case. I had personal experience with this exact swap on my bolt on 2000 Camaro SS A4. My car did have headers already but I picked up from a baseline of 308 RWHP to 333 RWHP on my car going from an LS6 intake to a Tony Mamo ported FAST 90 and 90mm throttle body. Jeff Creech @ Carolina Auto Masters did it for me. Before blasting how low my numbers were consider I had an A4, PT4000 converter, 12 bolt rear and slicks when on the dyno, all of which cost me HP there. He also told me he did not expect to see any gains and honestly couldn't believe what he saw as the engine didn't need any more airflow on the intake side according to him. I did have stock injectors however. Jeff had previously tuned the car for the headers a couple of months earlier so the gain was real and not some other tuner's "magic". Just letting you know what hapened with my car. The downside was the cost of just the parts for this gain. Intake was 800 dollars. Porting was 600. Throttle body was 400. Add in installation if you don't do it yourself and then a retune to make sure it's perfect and you're looking at well over 2000 for 25 horsepower. Then there was the shipping and the wait time on getting the ported intake back from Tony was around a month when I did it. I'm sure it's less now but that's what it was. A non-Mamo ported intake would not have offered anywhere near these gains I'm sure. These are real world numbers and I'm sure anyone can duplicate my exact gain following this recipe. Another upside is that when I went with cam/heads because of how well I had prepared for it, I gained 150 to the tires with ported LS6 heads and cam from Vengeance racing. No way I would have gained that with the LS6 intake still. It's all about getting the right combo of parts to make power. What I did was waaaaay overkill for a stock motor but it did work. And quite well. Take this for what it's worth.

DAMN Brother! Man,,, That's SMOKEN! Great job on milking out all the power!

I also have a heads, cam, fast combo and I ported my own FAST and LS2 TB. YES,, To some, the cost of having all that done is very extreme..

Bill
Old 07-31-2016, 03:14 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
DAMN Brother! Man,,, That's SMOKEN! Great job on milking out all the power!

I also have a heads, cam, fast combo and I ported my own FAST and LS2 TB. YES,, To some, the cost of having all that done is very extreme..

Bill
Thanks, Bill. I took a slightly different path to get to the end results because most won't (probably shouldn't) spend all that on an intake before going heads/cam. Jeff Creech actually was trying to talk me out of it way back then but said it would be "interesting" to see the results. He was thinking maybe 10-12 at the most from all of that on a stock engine. I was the guinea pig for the project so now we know. The only thing I don't know is what an out of the box intake would have done. Maybe the OP can let us know on that one if he pulls the trigger here. I know over at LS1Tech.com there used to be quite a following of bolt-on only guys so I'm sure this has been tried in the past other than by me. I'm not over there much any more but there used to be stock LS1 engine guys running 10's or at least scaring it to death way back in the day.

Get notified of new replies

To Any HP left on the table with intake or injectors

Quick Reply: Any HP left on the table with intake or injectors