C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone educate me on the benefits of an X-Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 04:02 PM
renegad44
Safety Car

Location: This is not a Song, It's an Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues; Sixto Diaz Rodriguez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About to install MagnaFlow 3" Universal CATs, Bassani X-Pipe, and Z06 Ti exhaust. Will try to take some pictures when it’s done. My brother (SleeperC5) told me this was a good system and most everyone I've read on the forum says there's a small increase in HP, but more with headers. I was looking for a little more noise than my stock exhaust, but no Borlas, or anything that's gonna drone me out. I think he did good advising me on this set up.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:39 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
I honestly can't understand why it would help at all...sounds like pure marketing to me....if it did, then why wouldn't a true performance car NASCAR...run one....instead they all run H pipes. These cars are over 800HP and if an X pipe was better, Iam sure it would of been used.
The use of an H pipe in Nascar is not very common anymore. Most teams use a Y pipe or X pipe. They also use specially made headers that cross under the oil pan so that two tubes from the left bank of cylinders connect to the right side collector and vice versa. This helps to equalize the exhaust pulses.

Good read: http://www.drgas.com/articles/cot.pdf
Old 12-10-2007, 07:01 PM
LsJuan25
Burning Brakes

All I can say about the X-Pipe is that every little bit helps!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:57 PM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd like to see what american racing has to say about it. I have a set and it's obvious that they went to great lengths to get it as close to the collectors as possible; on other CF header threads I've heard it's worth something like 2-5hp due to scavenging benefits when placed in the right location (ARH and LG discussion), though I've yet to see a dyno. While I love the way mine sound, I'd give the sound up if putting the cats immediately after the collectors had no measurable performance effect (closer to collectors -> faster lightup). I imagine the x's placed almost at the mufflers offer little to no performance benefit.

Re: backpressure, I challenge anyone to provide me with a logical statement as to why it benefits the engine's power in any manner, at any RPM. I'm of the opinion it's an urban legend born of a misunderstanding of the scavenging effect of a longer/narrower tube.

Last edited by nitrojunky; 12-10-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:24 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 2000C-5
The use of an H pipe in Nascar is not very common anymore. Most teams use a Y pipe or X pipe. They also use specially made headers that cross under the oil pan so that two tubes from the left bank of cylinders connect to the right side collector and vice versa. This helps to equalize the exhaust pulses.

Good read: http://www.drgas.com/articles/cot.pdf

Many Nascar engines use 180* headers which are designed to give ultimate scavenging and there would be no need for an "X" pipe because the scavenging is done in the header configuration--Also if they are using conventional headers, they are typically $3500 a set and are fully tuned and scavenge well without an "H" or "X" pipe

PS: Worked on a Winston West pit crew for 12 years----
Old 12-11-2007, 01:42 AM
Showdown
Pro

Quick Reply: Can someone educate me on the benefits of an X-Pipe?