C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Titanium vs Aftermarket Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 08:48 PM
Vettepartz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z06 Titanium vs Aftermarket Exhaust

Here goes my first post on this forum. I have a set of newly acquired 2002 Zo6 titanium exhaust mufflers. I was going to install them on my '99 with a Magnaflow x-pipe. I was wondering if I would be better off selling them and getting an aftermarket set instead. I have heard GREAT things about the Magnaflows. I want a sound louder than stock (But reasonable) and would like a horsepower gain. Has anybody got a comparison between the factory titaniums and an aftermarket system? Thanks :yesnod: John :yesnod:
Old 11-27-2001, 02:05 AM
Nate@CorvetteGarage
Supporting Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
St. Jude Contributor '04

Default Re: Z06 Titanium vs Aftermarket Exhaust (Vettepartz)

Vettepartz- there is a hp gain with the aftermarket exhausts but they are minimal. Usually 6-9hp. Most people buy an aftermarket because of sound and looks. The trade off is, your Z06 system weighs very little and most aftermarkets weigh much more than your Z06 system. So, I think it comes down to what you want most. Any hp gained with an aftermarket will be offset by the weight gained. If you are doing it for the looks and sound alone, then go for an aftermarket exhaust. Give us a call if we can help you further. We carry and have installed all exhaust systems available for the C5/Z06. We can help you in your decision when and if you decide to buy. Thanks!

Nate
Old 11-27-2001, 03:11 AM
YLWFVR75
Le Mans Master

Received 183 Likes on 89 Posts
SE Michigan Coordinator
CI 3, 4, 5, 6, 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11,-'13-'14-'15
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: Z06 Titanium vs Aftermarket Exhaust (Nate@xtreme)

Also, isnt the Z06 a 3 inch system, versus an aftermarket being 2 1/2 inch???
Old 11-27-2001, 08:56 AM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Doesn't corsa have a new titanium system out now??? So you can save weight and have the sound at the same time. I thought I read on the forum someone installed them?

Old 11-27-2001, 09:03 AM
MYY2KVET
Instructor

Corsa's Titanium Exhaust is out but it's pricey... Street is still probably $1800-1900. I picked up a Z06 Exhaust for around $700. I know I was not willing to spend the extra $1000+ for a little deeper tone. The Z06 exhaust is extremely light, compared to the stock exhaust and it does have a slighter better tone under trottle but I'm pretty sure it is well short of some of the aftermarket systems. As mentioned I would not purchase a system purely on performance because the gains are small. Sound and looks are really the game here. If you already have the exhaust, install it a try it out first, you may like it and it might save you a few $.
Old 11-27-2001, 09:05 AM
jandj
Advanced

Default Re: Z06 Titanium vs Aftermarket Exhaust (Bluewasp)

I believe that you are thinking of the Borla Titanium system, though corsa might
Old 11-27-2001, 09:17 AM
levrac68
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Z06 Titanium vs Aftermarket Exhaust (jandj)

Both Borla and Corsa now have a Ti exhaust.
Old 11-27-2001, 09:30 AM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: Z06 Titanium vs Aftermarket Exhaust (MYY2KVET)

WOW!!! Almost 2k, add shipping, for an cat back Exhaust, and there isn't really and performance gains... :eek: :eek:

If I had 2k to spend and a z06. I would by the 700-800 dollar indys with pro tips and spend the other 1200 on something else. :yesnod:
Old 11-27-2001, 10:15 AM
darkmercury
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

That MagnaFlow system looks sharp... it was a recent post describing the install of this system.
Old 11-27-2001, 02:00 PM
Nate@CorvetteGarage
Supporting Vendor

Cruise-In I Veteran
St. Jude Contributor '04

Default Re: Z06 Titanium vs Aftermarket Exhaust (y2k02c5)

The stock Z06 system is 2 1/2 like all other systems available. The difference is the weight and price. Aftermarket systems will result in a 6-9hp gain but they weigh more. Its a trade off unless you want looks and sound over the stock Ti.

The best of all worlds would be an aftermarket Ti system. I believe Corsa has a system in the works but Borla has released theirs. We have three of them in stock and one is to be tested on our C5 soon. The downside to the aftermarket Ti systems is they are expensive, but they are lighter than the stock Ti systems, look good, sound good and offer hp over the stock Ti system.

Nate
Old 11-27-2001, 02:25 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06

Guys,

I just don't agree on the aftermarket Ti systems. There is no justification in the cost factor versus weight and performance gains.

Spending almost $2200.00-$2500.00 for an exhaust system is just ridiculous when you can get headers, x-pipe and an exhaust system and you still have money left over. You also get a much bigger advantage and that is you get more HP and TQ over an aftermarket Ti system.

Out of all the aftermarket C5 exhaust systems we have seen and tested, the Magnaflow x-pipe and muffler system combo provides the most HP and TQ. We haven't seen the Borla Ti or the Corsa Ti system as of yet, but the price tag is very steep for the weight savings and the performance gains you will feel. So far, the Magnaflow system is the only one that comes fully polished and the only one that you actually can feel the SOTP difference.

There are a lot of C5 owners that have installed the Magnaflow system and x-pipe and are very happy with the quality, fit and finish as well as performance gains.

You can read my review of Magnaflow's exhaust system and see still pics of it here:
http://thelapd.com/magnaflow.html

You can see live streaming video and hear Magnaflow's exhaust in real world conditions as well as on the dyno here:
http://thelapd.com/magnaflowmovies.html

You can see the system and order it here:
http://www.stores.yahoo.com/corvette...gc5catsys.html

Thanks!

Shawn

Old 11-27-2001, 02:28 PM
Reeves
Pro

Default Re: Z06 Titanium vs Aftermarket Exhaust (L.A.P.D.)

I totally agree with Shawn on this. Ti exhaust is all about weight savings, the goal being to increase your power to weight ratio by reducing the weight. With a Ti exhaust you may cut 40lbs off your car, so if that's all you do, it isn't going to do much. You need to combine the Ti exhaust with lighter wheels, removing interior components, etc. IMHO, unless you buy a used Z06 Ti setup, it isn't worth the $$.

Reeves

(edit - um, that should be increase the power to weight ratio :crazy: )

[Modified by Reeves, 10:30 AM 11/27/2001]
Old 11-27-2001, 02:41 PM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

The stock Z06 system is 2 1/2 like all other systems available. The difference is the weight and price. Aftermarket systems will result in a 6-9hp gain but they weigh more. Its a trade off unless you want looks and sound over the stock Ti.

The best of all worlds would be an aftermarket Ti system. I believe Corsa has a system in the works but Borla has released theirs. We have three of them in stock and one is to be tested on our C5 soon. The downside to the aftermarket Ti systems is they are expensive, but they are lighter than the stock Ti systems, look good, sound good and offer hp over the stock Ti system.

Nate
Not entirely correct:

From GM:

The exhaust weighs 13 pounds on each side.

"From a performance standpoint, the stock C5 exhaust was already pretty good. Most C5ers buy aftermarket systems to change the sound and the look of the tailpipes. The Z06’s Arvin/TIMET exhaust not only weighs 41% less than the stainless system on other Corvettes, but to accommodate the LS6s increased exhaust flow, larger pipe sizes are used, the mufflers were changed to enhance flow and sound and the tips are different."

Also as a note: the B&B stainless steel aftermarket PRT Exhaust with thier pipes and resonance chambers also only weigh 13 pounds each side per B&B Exhaust Systems.

Exhuasts should be bought for sound first, and any HP increase on a stock motor will be a pleasant suprise.

[Modified by kewlbrz, 12:42 PM 11/27/2001]
Old 11-27-2001, 05:05 PM
Nate@CorvetteGarage
Supporting Vendor

Cruise-In I Veteran
St. Jude Contributor '04

Default Re: Z06 Titanium vs Aftermarket Exhaust (kewlbrz)

Kewlbrz, heres a quote from what I posted earlier in the thread...
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vettepartz- there is a hp gain with the aftermarket exhausts but they are minimal. Usually 6-9hp. Most people buy an aftermarket because of sound and looks. The trade off is, your Z06 system weighs very little and most aftermarkets weigh much more than your Z06 system. So, I think it comes down to what you want most. Any hp gained with an aftermarket will be offset by the weight gained. If you are doing it for the looks and sound alone, then go for an aftermarket exhaust. Give us a call if we can help you further. We carry and have installed all exhaust systems available for the C5/Z06. We can help you in your decision when and if you decide to buy. Thanks!
Nate
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
end quote.

If you read it over, you will see my final thoughts to him are to buy the exhaust if looks and sound are his main objective.

Hmm, I weighed one side of the B&B PRT system and it weighs 19 lbs, not 13 lbs., per me.

By the way, the factory air box works pretty good from the
factory as well... :rolleyes:

Nate
Old 11-27-2001, 05:22 PM
Nate@CorvetteGarage
Supporting Vendor

Cruise-In I Veteran
St. Jude Contributor '04

Default Re: Z06 Titanium vs Aftermarket Exhaust (L.A.P.D.)

Shawn, I guess you like Magnaflows huh? I couldnt tell by your reply...
21 lbs of torque with the system? Thats laughable!!! :lol:
We will test everything under the sun once our dyno is in place so everyone can have a good laugh!!!

Nate

Old 11-27-2001, 05:47 PM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Kewlbrz, heres a quote from what I posted earlier in the thread...
quote:
Nate
end quote.

If you read it over, you will see my final thoughts to him are to buy the exhaust if looks and sound are his main objective.

Hmm, I weighed one side of the B&B PRT system and it weighs 19 lbs, not 13 lbs., per me.

By the way, the factory air box works pretty good from the
factory as well... :rolleyes:

Nate
While you were weighing the PRTs did you weigh the stock Z06 titaniums to see if GM's claim of 13 pounds was true?

Old 11-27-2001, 09:46 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I installed a Z06 Titanium Exhaust on my 01 Coupe. I wanted the look and little more sound. I like it! I will hopefully again very soon and post the delta over my previous pulls.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Titanium vs Aftermarket Exhaust

Old 11-28-2001, 08:15 AM
Vettepartz
Pro

ttt
Old 11-28-2001, 09:44 AM
Joecooool
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jax Events Coordinator
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Default Re: Z06 Titanium vs Aftermarket Exhaust

I took off my titanium pipes and went with a Magna Flow X pipe and Corsa Indies. The stock Z06 sound is just too mild. I love the way the car sounds now and I'm happy I made the switch.

PS - Anyone wo spends $2500 for a set of titanium mufflers has a lot more dollars than sense! What a screw job!
Old 11-28-2001, 06:21 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Z06 Titanium vs Aftermarket Exhaust (joecooool)

I got disqualified at Lime Rock for noise running straight pipes & tips. I had to block off one side of my exhaust to continue running. Everything had then to exit one side through the X pipe. As far as I could tell I lost nothing in speed or time at the track. I am very scepitcal about gains with all things exhaust over stock. Twenty one foot pounds of torque is a real tall story to me.

Quick Reply: Z06 Titanium vs Aftermarket Exhaust