C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solution For Non Retracting Headlights After Hid Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:02 PM
joe3451
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default Solution For Non Retracting Headlights After Hid Install

I think I solved the DOOR WONT GO DOWN PROBLEM with the HID install, The problem is the computer wont drop the lights due to a difference in wattage from the stock lights to the new bulbs, stock lights are 55 watts and hid bulbs are 35 watts. The solution I found was to wire a blinker bulb and holder directly in to the harness that runs from the headlight harness to the balast, thats the one that unplugs from your original stock bulb so there is no confusion, the holder i purchased had 2 wires attached to it, i took one wire and connected it to the + wire of the harness that runs from the balast to the vehicles stock harness,(RED) and took the remaining wire and connected it to a grounding point in the pocket the headlight assembly drops into (I used the bolt that holds the hinge for the hood), make sure you put a bulb in the holder and when your headlights are on the bulb should be lit that how you will know that it is installed properly,the bulb i used was a 7 watt blinker bulb, you dont want to go too high or you will run into the same problem. I took plenty of pictures and i would be more than happy to help over the phone if you want to call. I hope this helps you out with this problem good luck !!! PM me if this solution works for you!!!JOE

Last edited by joe3451; 01-27-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Cliff99C5hardtop
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Very interested in this solution.....I'm all ears. Pics and part numbers would be awesome!!!
Old 01-06-2008, 10:42 PM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Good to hear. Mine's an 03 and I didn't have this issue with the fleabay kit I got. Thankfully.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:09 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 01-20-2008, 03:25 AM
IM28702
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

While this appears creative and a job well done (Here's your pat on the back ), I worry that this adds more potential for failure in the sense of what can go wrong will go wrong.

I have the same problem on my car of the lights not retracting, but if I switch on the high beams, they retract just fine. It's second nature at this point to push the blinker switch forward as I'm shutting off the lights.

I'm not beating you down at all, just the opposite. I think it's a neat solution. I'm just not sure of the rationale of adding confusion to the harness to avoid a finge stroke.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:01 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

It is easy to go to high beam and close them but leaving it that way makes the twilight feature a problem because you need to close the doors yourself. Good to just make it the way it should work.

Last edited by minitech; 01-20-2008 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-20-2008, 01:03 PM
joe3451
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default hid fix

I have it installed about two weeks now and it works great, i know that there is concerns about stuff can go wrong but all you are adding is a simple 8watt bulb, if you are content with flipping on you high beams so be it , I wasn't. that is why I spent hours in the garage and hours combing the forum to come up with this solution. I'm getting alot of PM's from CF members letting me know that this solved there problem. if you are confused in any way about how to do this simple install you can PM me and i will give you my # to call me and i can walk you through it! and if this works for you PM me to let me know Thanks and good luck!!! JOE
Old 01-20-2008, 01:17 PM
nextime
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job man you deseve it. yes a simple bulb will do the trick and it is a fine fix and a easy fix.

Remember there will always be a few complainers in the bunch. Dont let a few bad Apples ruin your day. Keep up the good work and I hope this doesnt keep you from making future Mod's or fixes.

Originally Posted by joe3451
I have it installed about two weeks now and it works great, i know that there is concerns about stuff can go wrong but all you are adding is a simple 8watt bulb, if you are content with flipping on you high beams so be it , I wasn't. that is why I spent hours in the garage and hours combing the forum to come up with this solution. I'm getting alot of PM's from CF members letting me know that this solved there problem. if you are confused in any way about how to do this simple install you can PM me and i will give you my # to call me and i can walk you through it! and if this works for you PM me to let me know Thanks and good luck!!! JOE
Old 02-08-2008, 02:19 AM
RoccoC5
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I just ordered some HIDs and will be installing them within the next week or so. Hopefully I don't run into this issue!

If I have this problem, I think I'll get a set of the harnesses made to work with HID conversion on CANBUS-equipped vehicles (BMW's, Audi's, etc). I think that all the harness is is an inline resistor. Thoughts? I'll report back.

Last edited by RoccoC5; 02-08-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:39 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

I've been Running HID headlights on my 99 C5 for about 2 months. with no issues with the headlights not going down when I turn them off. I am only now having an issue with the lights not turning down when switched. Frustrating!

I will take a closer look at the solution shown at the beginning of this thread. I will also try flashing the high beams as described.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:14 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Another fix is just to run 55 watt HIDs. What I have had in my car for 3 years now. Never been an issue.

Last edited by RedRiderZR1; 09-24-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:58 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRiderZR1
Another fix is just to run 55 watt HIDs. What I have had in my car for 3 years now. Never been an issue.
Same here.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:46 AM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

i have HID in my 2003 Corvette Z06 with ACA headlights and mine work like stock with zero issues what so ever

Get notified of new replies

To Solution For Non Retracting Headlights After Hid Install

Quick Reply: Solution For Non Retracting Headlights After Hid Install