C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a LuK Pro Gold Clutch w/ aluminum flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 12:57 AM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Anyone have a LuK Pro Gold Clutch w/ aluminum flywheel?

Anyone have this setup with the aluminum flywheel? If so, how has it been performing for you and how do you like it?

I just had this setup installed in my stock 97 and it feels good right now but curious as to how it will hold up. My last clutch was stock and lasted 40k with only 1 auto-x on it and a few spirited runs and burnouts.

Anyway, after spending wayyyy to much money for this clutch and install, Im going to drive this thing like an old woman.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

IMHO, I had this setup and the LUK clutches (OEM) for the LS1/LS6 are junk and the OEM LS7 clutch isn't much better if you plan to push it hard on the track. If your car is stock then it may last longer. There are much better options out there. If you're primarily concern is price then check out the Centerforce Dual Friction 12" clutch #DF395010 at JEGS. Mike
Old 03-01-2008, 08:10 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I think Cobra4B has this setup, might check with him.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:01 AM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My buddy BLACKTOP2000 has this setup. We did the install ourselves and there is one gotcha. You have to adjust the spring after it's installed or it will slip with about 100ft/lbs of torque. It's easy to do but you have to be aware of it. We weren't and had to put it back on the lift, take the headers down, pull the inspection cover and tweak it...

Impressions of it. Stock feel and engagement. It's a pleasure to drive after I drive my SPEC 3. He s running 434rwhp/404rwtq and no slippage in almost 2 yrs and about 20k miles. He is also known to give it a blast now and then.

The only problem he has with it, and this is common with the stock clutches, is it sticks if he takes it over 6700rpm's. He has done the turkey baster fluid change numerous times with limited success. He is now contemplating changing to a different clutch.

If you are mostly stock and have a stock rev limit, or keep it to ~6500rpm's you should be ok, IMHO. Just break it in easy.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:35 AM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 218 Likes on 145 Posts

I went with the Luk Pro Gold and Fidanza aluminum flywheel after my heads/cam setup killed my stock clutch (3 years ago). I'm running the same clutch on my 402 with no problems. I have used it for open road racing, the Texas Mile, and ran it down the 1/4 mile a couple of times. I've been very happy with it.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:33 PM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Well it sounds like I will be good to go then. I don't drag race so thats not a concern. The engagement feels nice and easy. Hopefully I can squeeze more than 40k out if this one.

What is the proper break in for a new clutch?
Old 03-03-2008, 03:16 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
IMHO, I had this setup and the LUK clutches (OEM) for the LS1/LS6 are junk and the OEM LS7 clutch isn't much better if you plan to push it hard on the track. If your car is stock then it may last longer. There are much better options out there. If you're primarily concern is price then check out the Centerforce Dual Friction 12" clutch #DF395010 at JEGS. Mike

do you use this clutch? know anyone else that has used this clutch too?

good for road racing?

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have a LuK Pro Gold Clutch w/ aluminum flywheel?

Quick Reply: Anyone have a LuK Pro Gold Clutch w/ aluminum flywheel?