C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC compressor oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 03:04 PM
ivor-bigen
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC compressor oil

Hi all
Does anyone know the type and amount of, AC compressor oil, the system uses?
Ivor
Old 03-15-2008, 06:04 AM
ivor-bigen
Heel & Toe

This is to fill an empty system, before re filling with the gas.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Plasticfan
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Total system PAG oil capacity is 9 oz in my 02 FSM. Are you sure the entire system is empty or are we just replacing the comp? Unless the entire system has been throughly flushed it is not empty.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:46 PM
ivor-bigen
Heel & Toe

HI i am only replaceing the AC comp, is there a way of knowing how much the system will need to refill?
thanks ivor
Old 03-15-2008, 02:29 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ivor-bigen
HI i am only replaceing the AC comp, is there a way of knowing how much the system will need to refill?
thanks ivor
My 2001 Service Manual says a compressor replacement requires two ounces of PolyAlkylene Glycol Synthetic Refrigerant Oil (PAG oil - should be GM Part number 88901445)

Also specifies the use of 525 viscosity mineral oil on threaded fittings and o-rings.

The refrigerant is R-134a, and the Service Manual specifies the use of a refrigerant charge/discharge system so that "old" refrigerant is not vented to the atmosphere, and that the newly assembled system is pumped down to a vacumn before adding fresh refrigerant (air is a contamint of R134a)

Old 03-15-2008, 05:14 PM
ivor-bigen
Heel & Toe

Many thanks thats the answer i was looking for.
Liveing in the Uk makes it quite hard to get the tech info on these cars.

Ivor
Old 03-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Tomulrich
Pro

make sure you fill the AC compressor "crankcase" with oil before installing. You also need to add oil to the refrigerant. The Vette compressors are different and require oil in two different areas ....and they do not mix. If you dont add oil to the crancase of the compressor prior to install the compressor will last 30 min. there is a fill/drain plug/bolt on the side of the compressor this is where you fill it with oil. You cannot get to it after the compressor is installed. Dont let anyone tell you that this is not needed and the oil added with the freon is sufficient. new compressors require this......I have a service manual...and I have done the change before..

tom

new copressors require this.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:40 AM
ivor-bigen
Heel & Toe

many thanks tom thats good to know, i have not yet removed the old unit, it looks like it will be a bit of a squeeze to get it out, i am guesing i will have to remove the exhaust manifold (header) to get it out of its location, is this correct? or is there another way?
ivor
Old 03-18-2008, 01:15 PM
ivor-bigen
Heel & Toe

somthing i am still unsure of is.
how much oil needs to be added to the refrigerant?
i understand i need to fill the AC pump to the level plug before installing.
but the guy that will re,gas the system for me is going to ask how much oil i want added to the refrigerant any ideas??
Ivor
Old 03-19-2008, 10:38 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ivor-bigen
somthing i am still unsure of is.
how much oil needs to be added to the refrigerant?
i understand i need to fill the AC pump to the level plug before installing.
but the guy that will re,gas the system for me is going to ask how much oil i want added to the refrigerant any ideas??
Ivor
OK, the Service Manual specifies that when you remove the old compressor you drain and MEASURE all of the PAG that comes out from the compressor. Oil will drain from both the suction and discharge ports, and after you remove the drain plug, the crankcase.

That is the total amount that you should install back into the system .... fill the crankcase of the new compressor .... and any additional oil to be added should be added with the refrigerant.

However, should the amount drained be less that 2 ozs. (60 ml) then 2 ozs. should be installed back into the system ....

So if 3 ozs comes out, put 3 ozs back in ..... but if 1 oz comes out, put 2 ozs. back in.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:28 PM
coanan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
OK, the Service Manual specifies that when you remove the old compressor you drain and MEASURE all of the PAG that comes out from the compressor. Oil will drain from both the suction and discharge ports, and after you remove the drain plug, the crankcase.

That is the total amount that you should install back into the system .... fill the crankcase of the new compressor .... and any additional oil to be added should be added with the refrigerant.

However, should the amount drained be less that 2 ozs. (60 ml) then 2 ozs. should be installed back into the system ....

So if 3 ozs comes out, put 3 ozs back in ..... but if 1 oz comes out, put 2 ozs. back in.

What oil and how much goes in the crankcase?
Old 03-19-2008, 01:58 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

The oil is listed in Post #5 above.

If I recall ... the crankcase holds about 2 ounces.

Get notified of new replies

To AC compressor oil

Quick Reply: AC compressor oil