C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Callaway Honker vs Vararam for C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 04:06 PM
karpetcm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Callaway Honker vs Vararam for C5 Z06

lately ive been reading many posts that vararam intakes hardly ever fit right and takes a while for the install. Ofcourse there are a few that have had no issues with the vararam and wether theyve had issues or not they all love it. Ive also been reading up people pull good numbers as well with the callaway honker which do you guys prefer hp, install and price. I know they have a sale goin on with free shipping with the vararam intakes which makes it much cheaper then the Callaway but id like to get your opinions on both. Thanks in advance for any tip
Old 05-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Jettech
Advanced

I have the Honker on my 2000 coupe and the fit and finish is great. I cannot speak about the vararam, as I have know experience with it. I replaced a blackwing, but have not had it on the dyno since. Good luck on your decision.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:36 PM
karpetcm
Instructor

Jettech, did you notice any power gains after installing your intake meaning was it noticable ? just curious i know people for the most part will say Vararam was definitly noticable.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:46 PM
PewtVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Honker as well. I agree that fit and finish is very good. I wouldn't call the install easy but it was straight forward. You will notice a difference but let's be real, it's not a camshaft.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:18 PM
legman
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put the Honker on my 2000 cpe also. I replaced a modified air box that was great for ingesting all the under hood heat. I also have LT's, free-flows, x-pipe into a set of TI's. The transformation from what it was to how it runs now is more than just noticable and the Honker was the last piece added. Traction happens now at high end of 2nd gear.
I just read too many fitment issues with the Vararam so I went with Callaway. I'm very satisfied.....
Old 05-16-2008, 06:30 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I put a VaraRam on my '02 Z06 and hated it. Spent two nights playing with different washers, spacers, nuts, bolts, etc and never got the thing to line up the way I expect a $300 intake to fit. Noticed a bit of a difference from stock, but nothing fantastic. Fit and finish looked like crap and it permenantly bowed my radiator shrowd, it never sealed around the filter the way I expected it should either.

Ripped that thing off and went to a Honker and couldn't be happier. The honker install was more involved, but in the end was easier and faster - and was perfectly straight forward. I noticed a difference with this one, both in SOTP dyno, throttle response and smoothness in the higher RPM's. Fit and finish is fantastic, but that quality is reflected in the price - so be prepared.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:49 PM
karpetcm
Instructor

Price is not too much of a concern i had a 2001 m3 and just getting a decent flowing intake, exhuast and tune on those cars is up there as well. I think after your opinion and experience im pretty much set on purchasing the Callaway, i think with that headers and tune i should be close to 380 rwhp atleast i hope.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:25 PM
KamiLos
Instructor

Originally Posted by karpetcm
Price is not too much of a concern i had a 2001 m3 and just getting a decent flowing intake, exhuast and tune on those cars is up there as well. I think after your opinion and experience im pretty much set on purchasing the Callaway, i think with that headers and tune i should be close to 380 rwhp atleast i hope.
im at 380whp with the vararam b2, arh w/ catted X, and tune on a dyno dynamics dyno.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:54 PM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a lot of reading before purchasing my Honker. It appears the Vararam gives great results and most folks swear they get that seat of the pants performance feeling after the install. My biggest concern was the quality of the piece and fitment issues I continuously read about here. I just coughed up the extra $100 and bought the Callaway. The install is a bit involved but very doable for the back yard mechanic. The quality and fit of the piece is first rate. If it were my money, I would go with the Honker.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:12 PM
motogib1
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Either one will work just fine. Vararam, cheaper and a bit of a pain to install. Callaway Honker, looks better than OEm but costs a bit more. A matter of personal choice. I prun a vararam and it has performaed well for me. If $$ were not a factor, I'd have the Honker.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:07 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

honker here, great product, high quality.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 130 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Honker, i had both.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:54 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I dont have any experience with the Honker,,,but a buddy and I installed a Vararm a few weeks ago on my car only took about 2 hours.., and I could not be happier. As far as fit and finishe goes... people get too carried away with this sht. Every mod I have ever purchased required some extra tweaking, adjusting etc... and Ive got heads;/cam, headers, etc.... For the price the vararam is great. Whenever you deal with aftermarket mods you are always going to run into a hitch here and there.

Good luck.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:32 AM
NotRiceAnymore
Pro

i dont have any experience with the honker, but i'm about to pick up my 3rd vararam, had one in my c5 auto, definitely made a difference, 1 in my c6 auto, from stock to vararam, on the 1 to 2 shift it spun the tires after install. callaway makes a nice part, but on my 427 car im going back to vararam, with a proper professional install there aren't any issues.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:41 AM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honker
Old 05-17-2008, 02:53 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by FrankTank
I dont have any experience with the Honker,,,but a buddy and I installed a Vararm a few weeks ago on my car only took about 2 hours.., and I could not be happier. As far as fit and finishe goes... people get too carried away with this sht. Every mod I have ever purchased required some extra tweaking, adjusting etc... and Ive got heads;/cam, headers, etc.... For the price the vararam is great. Whenever you deal with aftermarket mods you are always going to run into a hitch here and there.

Good luck.
Very well said and if your looking for proven performance on the track and the street the last several years, the Vararam is still King of the Hill!
Old 05-17-2008, 03:02 AM
Speed Trap
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone experience better or worse gas mileage with the Honker installed?

Get notified of new replies

To Callaway Honker vs Vararam for C5 Z06

Old 05-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Speed Trap
Anyone experience better or worse gas mileage with the Honker installed?
THe only gas mileage issues you will have is that you will be tempted to put your foot harder down on the throttle with more regularity and that is the case with a lot of go fast mods!

I don't see any reason why case mileage would otherwise be affected by just adding a cold air intake systems to one's vette but then again I am no expert on the subject! I am an expert on the subject about getting less gas mileage if your doing more spirited driving than normal as pointed out in paragraph one above.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:14 PM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Had a Vararam on my 00. When I got my 01, I decided to go with the Honker. Im glad I did. About the same performance, but the honker is a solid unit, not a flimsy 3 part barely held together circus.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:39 PM
vettvipper
Pro

Default used vararamm 4 sale

I have a used one that i removed from a wrecked rear impact total loss vett you can have it for $150 plus shipping it also comes with the driving light brackets so you wont have to cut yours ( incase you decide to go back to stock also) I had that same setup on my stock Z06 and loved it ....Call me if you are interested 800 667 5538

Thanks Tom and good luck

Quick Reply: Callaway Honker vs Vararam for C5 Z06