C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powdercoating CCWs....questions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:33 PM
AntsSilverC5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Powdercoating CCWs....questions!

Whatsup all! I got a set of CCW sp16a's on my 2000 c5 corvette that I was thinking about powdercoating either satin black or wet black (haven't decided yet on color, but some form of black) Had and enjoyed the "bling" look of the polished aluminum, but tired of always polishing/wanted to change the look of my car. Plus I've taken a big interest lately in black CCWs.
Just wondering, can you remove the powdercoat later on if you wanted to return the rims to "stock"? Also, roughly how much would this cost to get done? Thanks
Old 03-23-2013, 12:58 AM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are wanting to return them to polished later on, just plasti-dip them. In fact, I would dip them so that you can see if you like the flat black look. If not, then maybe the gloss black powder will be your choice. Once they are powdered, pretty sure they are staying that way.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:40 PM
AntsSilverC5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I did some research on plasti dip method and it looks like it may be a great option when I'm ready to finally do this. Seems relatively easy. This car is not a strict show-car or anything like that, just a fun street machine. The plasti dip should do the trick for my purposes.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:16 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Isn't the Plasti-Dip coating pretty thick? if so, I would think that you'd have to be VERY careful to not get the stuff either in the bolt holes, or on the back side of the wheel center, where it sits against the barrel.

FWIW, I had a set of the CCW classics on my car for several years. I started off with the black anodized centers, and they were then gloss black powdercoated. I did this with the thought that in case any road debris scratched the powder coat, it would still be black.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Sideswipe505
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Once your wheels are powdercoated, they're staying that way (done correctly, a good coat of powder is extremely difficult to remove).

Get notified of new replies

To Powdercoating CCWs....questions!

Quick Reply: Powdercoating CCWs....questions!