C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Cross Pipes vs Tru-X Cross Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:15 AM
VIPERBLUELX
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
If you believe that x-pipes quite your car down thats fine.
If you swap your stock H-pipe for an X-pipe it make the car QUIETER and more mellow. Made a huge difference on my Z06, it was loud as heck and popped and cracked on deceleration and I put the X-pipe on and now it's smooth and mellow with no popping.

Same thing on every single Mustang I've seen, H-pipe gives it that loud muscle car sound and the X-pipe gives it the smooth more exotic sound and is always quieter.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:29 PM
nuck
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
If you swap your stock H-pipe for an X-pipe it make the car QUIETER and more mellow. Made a huge difference on my Z06, it was loud as heck and popped and cracked on deceleration and I put the X-pipe on and now it's smooth and mellow with no popping.

Same thing on every single Mustang I've seen, H-pipe gives it that loud muscle car sound and the X-pipe gives it the smooth more exotic sound and is always quieter.

Interesting. My car pops and burbles like crazy now, which I can't blame solely on the cats. Was your Z stock? The Z catback is much more quiet than the Stingers I have. Supposedly at the extreme quiet end of all low restriction options.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:51 PM
VIPERBLUELX
Drifting

Originally Posted by nuck
Interesting. My car pops and burbles like crazy now, which I can't blame solely on the cats. Was your Z stock? The Z catback is much more quiet than the Stingers I have. Supposedly at the extreme quiet end of all low restriction options.
I had longtubes, no cats, stock H-pipe, and Corsa Pacecars and it popped and cracked like crazy, swapped a Borla X-pipe in place of the stock H-pipe and 75% of the popping and cracking disappeared. I traded the Corsa for a Borla Stinger so now it's longtubes, catless, X-pipe and Stingers and I absolutely love it and get compliments on the sound all the time.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
If you believe that x-pipes quite your car down thats fine. Not our experience. No matter what muffler system one uses. The sound will not be outrageous, but will be louder with stock headers.
Well I know for a fact they will produce a more mellow sound.

I have corsa indy exhaust that screamed at wot and after adding the corsa x-pipe
it no longer screams.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Anyone know of a website that has recorded sound of the different exhaust systems? It would be great to have a few examples to hear.

What would be the results of no H or X pipe? Years back we use to have side pipes on the Vettes with no connection from bank to bank.

Eric D
Old 06-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Eric D
Anyone know of a website that has recorded sound of the different exhaust systems? It would be great to have a few examples to hear.

What would be the results of no H or X pipe? Years back we use to have side pipes on the Vettes with no connection from bank to bank.

Eric D
yes

www.youtube.com

the h-pipe is not really connected. It has a large support pipe with a hole between them the size of a dime. So i would consider an h pipe as two straight pipes to the mufflers.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:30 PM
nuck
Burning Brakes

http://www.ls1sounds.com/
Old 06-09-2008, 04:39 PM
nuck
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=VIPERBLUELX;1565822746]I had longtubes, no cats, stock H-pipe, and Corsa Pacecars and it popped and cracked like crazy, swapped a Borla X-pipe in place of the stock H-pipe and 75% of the popping and cracking disappeared. I traded the Corsa for a Borla Stinger so now it's longtubes, catless, X-pipe and Stingers and I absolutely love it and get compliments on the sound all the time.[/QUOTE

I definitely am not into the same level of sound that you are. I hate my Borlas but they were on when I got her. Would much rather have the Corsas or stock Z ti. I had an 03Z and I thought the stock tire and exhaust were annoying because of the lack of sound deadening. Of course I took both the Z and my current vert on long distance road trips so the throatiness gets a bit old after a while. Must be the old guy thing. I don't crank the music up as much either
It appears that, tastes aside, mixing and matching components will result in different levels of burbling, drone, popping, or resonance with each combination. Since adding the x pipe it does have a fuller sound at low rpms, but as soon as I get into any boost I am getting it coming right up through the floor.

Last edited by nuck; 06-09-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:03 PM
VIPERBLUELX
Drifting

[QUOTE=nuck;1565824458]
Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
I had longtubes, no cats, stock H-pipe, and Corsa Pacecars and it popped and cracked like crazy, swapped a Borla X-pipe in place of the stock H-pipe and 75% of the popping and cracking disappeared. I traded the Corsa for a Borla Stinger so now it's longtubes, catless, X-pipe and Stingers and I absolutely love it and get compliments on the sound all the time.[/QUOTE

I defintely am not into the same level of sound that you are. I hate my Borlas but they were on when I got her. Would much rather have the Corsas or stock Z ti. I had an 03Z and I thought the stock tire and exhaust were annoying because of the lack of sound deadening. Of course I took both the Z and my current vert on long distance road trips so the throatiness gets a bit old after a while. Must be the old guy thing. I don't crank the music up as much either
My Corsa Pacecar exhaust was as loud as my Borla Stingers, so you if you happen to swap you better get the Corsa Touring.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Nuck,

Thanks for the link, however none of the files will play with my Windows Media Player.

Eric D
Old 06-09-2008, 10:38 PM
nuck
Burning Brakes

Sorry Eric. Not sure what is up with that as the Windows Media 11 I am running plays them fine. Maybe you need to go to their update site.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Nuck,

I tried the files on my work computer today and they work fine. Must have something to do with my home computer and Vista???

Thanks again,

Eric D

Sorry Eric. Not sure what is up with that as the Windows Media 11 I am running plays them fine. Maybe you need to go to their update site.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

According to Roush Racing the closer the X pipe is to the headers the more hp it makes. Several years ago Rusty Wallace won 3 of 5 races in a row and was in the top five in the other two. Unfortunately he was in a terrific accident the next race and flipped over. Thats when all the competitors found his X pipe was right after the headers and all of NASCAR soon followed.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:09 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordy M
According to Roush Racing the closer the X pipe is to the headers the more hp it makes. Several years ago Rusty Wallace won 3 of 5 races in a row and was in the top five in the other two. Unfortunately he was in a terrific accident the next race and flipped over. Thats when all the competitors found his X pipe was right after the headers and all of NASCAR soon followed.
Correct and the farther back the x-pipe the more torque the engine made.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Gordy M

Different style of x pipe known as a 2x2
Old 06-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

IBUID40,

What does a 2x2 X pipe look like? I tried finding a picture of one without any luck.

Thanks,

Eric D
Old 06-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

IBUID40,

What does a 2x2 X pipe look like? I tried finding a picture of one without any luck.

Thanks,

Eric D

ones with the merge style collectors (also known as 2x2) , nascar style

http://www.corvettegarage.com/produc...-corvette.html

Some people will even put an x-pipe right after the headers to replace the cats and have another x cross pipe at the rear.

Last edited by Got uid0; 06-10-2008 at 05:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Cross Pipes vs Tru-X Cross Pipes?

Old 06-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

IBUID40,

Thanks,

Eric D

2x2 xpipes are used right at the collectors to replace your cats.
http://www.yourperformancesource.com...ROD&ProdID=736

Call em whatever you want they are all still x pipes but when you talk about replacing your cats or your h-pipe i think what we are sold 2 different kind of x pipes.

Confused yet?
http://www.motorsporttech.com/images/c5/xpipe01.jpg

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/x-pipes.html

Last edited by Got uid0; 06-10-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by IBUID40
Just a tad confused.......well, ok - maybe a little more then a tad but I find it very interesting.

The "allpar" website calls it "black magic" but I would like to believe that someone out there understands the reasons why it helps or not. Maybe someone into fluid dynamics.

Anyway, thanks everyone for explaining the 2x2 x pipe. One more thing to add to my brain

Eric D
Old 06-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Just a tad confused.......well, ok - maybe a little more then a tad but I find it very interesting.

The "allpar" website calls it "black magic" but I would like to believe that someone out there understands the reasons why it helps or not. Maybe someone into fluid dynamics.

Anyway, thanks everyone for explaining the 2x2 x pipe. One more thing to add to my brain

Eric D
The reason an X-Pipe crossover works better than an H-pipe crossover isn't more flow because of volume, but more effective use of exhaust gas velocity. Exhaust gas (or air) has surface tension, and flows much like liquid would through the same pipe system.

http://www.drgas.com/articles/art_paulhaney.php

Last edited by Got uid0; 06-10-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Cross Pipes vs Tru-X Cross Pipes?