C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air bag suspension for vettes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:35 PM
blu00rdstr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air bag suspension for vettes?

I noticed the Pratt & Miller C6RS suspension uses air & composite springs. http://www.prattmillerc6rs.com/features.htm

Anyone have more info on air bags for vettes?
Old 07-30-2008, 01:33 AM
usmc42
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blu00rdstr
I noticed the Pratt & Miller C6RS suspension uses air & composite springs. http://www.prattmillerc6rs.com/features.htm

Anyone have more info on air bags for vettes?
They went through a company called Arvin Meritor which specializes in driveline and suspension components for tansport trucks and government vehicles. I'm currently talking to somone about the Pratt Miller set up and whether or not it would bolt up or be a serious pain to install. I'll keep you posted on what I find out.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:29 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Try contacting Air Ride Technologies in Jasper, Indiana. They are the leader in aftermarket air suspension for all sorts of vehicles, old and new.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:47 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Here's the website for their chassis products ....

http://www.arvinmeritor.com/products...agesystems.asp

they offer product literature and information in the menu on the right side of the page.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:53 AM
blu00rdstr
Melting Slicks

Cool, thanks!

I stared at the Airride AIRoverLeaf product that works with leaf springs and there wasn't an obvious fit. http://www.ridetech.com/catalog/AIRoverLeaf-28-1.html

Articles about the Pratt & Miller leaf spring/air spring suspension talk about how smooth and solid it feels. I'm thinking it's also a good way to adjust the ride height for speed bumps and driveways, and for a floor jack.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:19 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I have a magazine with a custom rod tube chassis. It has some customized Air Ride Technology Shockwaves. The fronts are where the shocks are mounted and the rears are where the spring connects. The builder made some pieces to adapt the rears to the lower arms.

I'm sure if you really wanted to you could make them fit an actual Vette too. The rears would likely require some mounts be welded to the frame. If you really need a picture I could scan it IF I can find the mag again. It's nothing really special though, just first appears to be. And the pics really don't show the details too closely.

Peter
Old 08-05-2008, 07:06 PM
usmc42
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I found out about the C6RS suspension.. doesn't look like its a cheap option to say the least. I guess I know now that Pratt & Miller didn't cheap out on any components

"Good day and please allow me to say thank you for serving our country and upholding the freedom that I and my family enjoy each day.

To your email on the C6RS suspension, am I understanding that you would like to investigate being a distributor of this suspension system? This is not currently something that is set up with Pratt & Miller. It is feasible but would be costly (I'm guessing $10000 - $12000 per kit) and to your point, the install is not easy. In addition to our system (Air shock corner modules, compressor, wiring harness, reservoir, etc) the vehicle cross-car composite leaf springs have to be changed. I will contact P & R to see if they're interested and then get back to you.

Feel free to respond and let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks,"
Old 08-05-2008, 07:16 PM
blu00rdstr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by usmc42
This is what I found out about the C6RS suspension.. doesn't look like its a cheap option to say the least. I guess I know now that Pratt & Miller didn't cheap out on any components

"Good day and please allow me to say thank you for serving our country and upholding the freedom that I and my family enjoy each day.

To your email on the C6RS suspension, am I understanding that you would like to investigate being a distributor of this suspension system? This is not currently something that is set up with Pratt & Miller. It is feasible but would be costly (I'm guessing $10000 - $12000 per kit) and to your point, the install is not easy. In addition to our system (Air shock corner modules, compressor, wiring harness, reservoir, etc) the vehicle cross-car composite leaf springs have to be changed. I will contact P & R to see if they're interested and then get back to you.

Feel free to respond and let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks,"
Ooof, $10K-12K? Ditto on the thanks for serving.

I'll take a closer look at the AirRide air over leaf setup, since I have T1 bars with base springs.

Get notified of new replies

To Air bag suspension for vettes?

Quick Reply: Air bag suspension for vettes?