C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Intake - Dual Cone vs Others

Old 10-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
After market air intakes = placebo mod.

The C5 air intake/filters are not really restrictive.
The extra noise is cool though.
Actually they do give you performance gains when you are using a "cold air" intake. They have been dyno tested and shown difference in HP.

Intakes that relocate the MAf seem to outperform others. Honker for example are top notch, halltech etc
Old 10-12-2008, 09:14 PM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Fine believe what you want.

I know what my engine likes, I do take the heads off each winter. Clean, very clean with no carbon build ups

Oil filters come pre oiled. No need to reoil them for several years. That is why I say dont oil them, they dont need the EXTRA oil.
Hey Tom, cut that out - its not fair !!
Not only can't they read and understand your original post but the guys that are correcting you probibly don't know what heads are.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:21 AM
AFTRBRNR
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Callaway Honker

Sucks air from under the car (cold air flow)

Large single high flow filter

The unit is curved to better flow the air into your TB (replaces the air bridge)

Quality product with solid construction

I dropped .3 sec in the 1/4 mile with just swapping the stock unit for this. The exhaust was also a bit louder.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:47 AM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Hi Guys -

I have the twin-ram setup on the wife's 99 coupe, and I run a Halltech TRAP on my Z.

I sent out the twin-ram to a fellow on this forum a few years ago, and he flow-tested the system alongside a stock airbox and some other setups.

All of the aftermarket systems, including the twin-ram, flowed more air than the stock TB could handle - so that efficiency is the limit on a stock TB car.

After un-corking the airbox, all that is left is cooler air - and the twin-ram and others that seek air from under the front cross member should all get essentially the same temp air.

AU N EGL is spot on when he says most people use too much oil on the oiled-gauze filters.

When you clean them (and I only clean mine at 50k miles - that's all they need in most applications), I just lay a thin stripe of oil on the peak of each pleat - then let the oil absorb into the filter.

That is how K&N says to do it, and how I have been doing dirt bikes for years. No problems at all. You do have to follow instructions though.

In the end -a zip-tie mod will likely do as much good performance-wise for an otherwise stock engine, but it will not look cool.

best regards -

mqqn
Old 10-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Silnus
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vararam FTW...
Old 10-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Silnus
Vararam FTW...
and calloway honker will out perform any stock air intake. No argument.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by mqqn
Hi Guys -

AU N EGL is spot on when he says most people use too much oil on the oiled-gauze filters.

best regards -

mqqn
Actually what he said was "d dont even bother oiling those oil cloth filters. Most ppl put too much oil on. "

and later corrected him self saying not to oil a pre oiled filter. DUH

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Intake - Dual Cone vs Others