C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum flywheels..Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:03 PM
gunrunr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Aluminum flywheels..Yes or No

Do any of you guys run an aluminum flywheel? I read that it gives you back about 25 HP that you lose to the original flywheel. Are there any drawbacks?
Old 10-13-2008, 09:15 PM
blk04z
Racer

I run an aluminum and I like. Car will rev up a little faster.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Depends on the application.

Lighter/smaller rotating clutch/flywheel assembly will make the engine rev faster, also make it drop in rpm faster when shifting, coating or braking. Any imbalance issues will be more easily felt.
In typical street driving, you will have to apply more throttle while easing off the clutch to keep from bogging/stalling. A light setup is streetable, sure, but it will take some getting used to.

Heavier flywheel = more forgiving, helps retain engine rotation momentum, holds rpms better while shifting, and helps to dampen any vibrations caused by imbalances in the rotating assembly.

Road racers typically want a light setup, because slowing down the quickest is the key to perfecting the road course...you don't want a slow-decelerating engine pushing you harder into a corner, you want it to aid in slowing you down, and also make rev-matching during a braking downshift more controllable.
Drag racers want a heavy package that carries momentum, because upshifting is the only concern of the race. You get that engine rpm and momentum spooled up at the launch, and want to keep it there...having the engine rpm's drop during shifts is the enemy.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:25 PM
gunrunr
Instructor

Default nice

WOW, thanks "blk04z" and "Y2Kvert4me". This is just what I was looking for.

Y2Kvert4me.....you sure know your stuff and thats all I need to hear. I will not go with the aluminum after all. With my cam I already have to play the gas to keep it idling and I do not want to slow any when I shift. I can see though why autocross guys would like them.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:18 AM
9secondflat
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do a search, there was extensive reasons listed by spindoctor last week.

Get notified of new replies

To Aluminum flywheels..Yes or No

Quick Reply: Aluminum flywheels..Yes or No