C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice about tranny / rear end fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Carlos Arredondo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice about tranny / rear end fluid change

I have a 04 A4 with 2.73 rear end with 38,000 miles. I'v been taking all my cars to th Valvoline Innstant oil change for all my serving for years. The dealer is priced high so that's why. My concern is missing any thing the dealer would do or only be able to do. Have never had a problem with Valvoline & have great confedence in them. Had the do my last oil change and I know the Manager personally. The last time I was in with the truck he ordered the book for my vette to get all the specks for all the servicing. I want to learn about the tranny & differental from all of you more wiser vette owners. All opions are welcome, please don't hold back.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:45 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They will do a good job, nothing special about it. Its pretty much the same for all automatics, they need to be warmed up and the engine running to do it. What is usually done is after replacing the filter (which should be done IMO) they will drain the remaining fluid out at the cooler, and pump the new fluid in the cooler return line. This will allow the fluid in the cooler, lines and torque converter to be replaced. Its a pretty standard way of working on autos.

Get the filter replaced and use the highest dextron rated fluid. All Dextron fluid is backward compatible. The Vette came with Dextron III, but there is a IV and a V out now. There is some question of using the higher rated fluids in early year C5's, but I'm not sure its a valid concern and yours is not a early C5.

The service interval is 100k miles, so no hurry to do it.

Quick Reply: Advice about tranny / rear end fluid change