C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Sensors and HRE Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Nelson V.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TPMS Sensors and HRE Wheels

I just scored some HRE 540 wheels.

They came with sensors attached with a band wrapped around the wheel.
Seller told me these came off a 2001 C5.
Mine is a 1998.

I think I need to use my sensors, right?

The sensors on the wheels appear to have the valve stems hacked off. Do I need to do this to the sensors off my 1998 before mounting them to the new wheels?
Anything special I need to know?
If I do hack the valve stems off my sensors, do I need to seal that hole or anything?

Thanks in advance.
NelsonV
Old 06-06-2011, 01:13 PM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

The '01 sensors won't communicate with your '98 receiver so yep you have to change. Not necessary to cut the stems but you can..........
Old 06-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Bills03Coupe
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mrm1149
The '01 sensors won't communicate with your '98 receiver so yep you have to change. Not necessary to cut the stems but you can..........
But I wouldn't cut the stems off. What if you need to re-mount them in other wheels at some point?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:58 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I have i-Forged wheels and put my sensors on with bands. I didn't cut off my stems.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:23 AM
Nelson V.
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bills03Coupe
But I wouldn't cut the stems off. What if you need to re-mount them in other wheels at some point?
Originally Posted by jrose7004
I have i-Forged wheels and put my sensors on with bands. I didn't cut off my stems.
Cool. So what do I do? Just point the valve stems inward away from the way (err, outward from the center of the wheel radius)?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Bills03Coupe
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelson V.
Cool. So what do I do? Just point the valve stems inward away from the way (err, outward from the center of the wheel radius)?
I believe the valves are centered on the wheel when banded, so the direction you mount them shouldn't matter. I would remove the valve stem caps to prevent them from possibly working loose and bouncing around inside your wheel!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

Another option is to send your wheels to HRE and have them drilled to mount the sensors in the valve stem location.

I had this done to my 545R wheels and the sensors bolt right up like on a stock wheel.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I can get you a fully rebuilt set of sensors with the stems cut off so you can mount them into your wheels for $50 (thats what I have in them) plus your old 98 sensors, I have no use for these, a few have screwed up threads so they would be perfect for straps and you wont be putting old sensors into your wheels, PM me if you want them. Just make sure that either way you do it with the bands to train them to the correct spots BEOFRE installing the tires!
Old 06-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Nelson V.
Drifting

Originally Posted by Corvette Don
I can get you a fully rebuilt set of sensors with the stems cut off so you can mount them into your wheels for $50 (thats what I have in them) plus your old 98 sensors, I have no use for these, a few have screwed up threads so they would be perfect for straps and you wont be putting old sensors into your wheels, PM me if you want them. Just make sure that either way you do it with the bands to train them to the correct spots BEOFRE installing the tires!
I'll just re-use me old sensors, as is. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok, hopefully you wont have to tear back into them anytime soon to replace them.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:16 PM
M_T_0
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol went thru that, I programmed the sensors off of the car put each sensor into a ziplock bag with the specific wheel indicated on the bag and the tire tech still installed them wrong, lucky for me I had him install all of them in line with the valve stems so I knew where they were. I got a heavy crow bar and a BAM (Big A$$ Maginet) put the end of the crow bar on the spot where the sensor was located and the BAM on the crowbar work just fine. only problem was the tech did not know what he was doing and installed the sensors on the sloped section of the rim and they all came off withing 100 miles. I took them back did it again this time with duct tape and the bands (still on the sloped section of the tire and 150 miles later they were all comming off. they have to be placed in the non-sloped section of the tire the closest to the rotational center of the wheel.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:13 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

My stems are pointed to the center. They attach on a metal mounting piece that the bands go through. No one told me about the epoxy so mine click at low speeds.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Nelson V.
Drifting

Ok, hopefully you wont have to tear back into them anytime soon to replace them.
Hopefully.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS Sensors and HRE Wheels

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensors and HRE Wheels