C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Corvette is limited to 80 mph, why?...

Old 11-16-2008, 11:38 PM
estelius
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Corvette is limited to 80 mph, why?...

Have you guys had this problem before?, every time i turn my corvette i get on the screen that the max speed is limited to 80 mph and sure enough every time i get to the 80 mph mark i get stop by the computer, why is this happening?, i don't have any check engine light to guide me by and every guy i take it to are clueless, please please help and advise, thanks in advance guys.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:06 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by estelius
Have you guys had this problem before?, every time i turn my corvette i get on the screen that the max speed is limited to 80 mph and sure enough every time i get to the 80 mph mark i get stop by the computer, why is this happening?, i don't have any check engine light to guide me by and every guy i take it to are clueless, please please help and advise, thanks in advance guys.
Ok, first of all, your sig says you have a C6...not a C5.
My guess is you have the F55 option(RTD shocks).....yes?
Old 11-17-2008, 12:14 AM
estelius
Racer

Is a 98 convertible and yes i have the RTD shocks, btw it also shows that shock are inoperable.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:20 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Is a 98 convertible and yes i have the RTD shocks, btw it also shows that shock are inoperable.
Ok, F45 then. That's why the speed is limited, because of the problem with the RTD system. See, everyone isn't "clueless".....
Old 11-17-2008, 12:25 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Is your EBTCM mounted in the front or underneath(rear) of the car?

EDIT: If you get a "Shocks inoperative" message, it has to be in conjunction with a DTC code. You need to check your codes.

PM sent.

Last edited by lucky131969; 11-17-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:58 AM
estelius
Racer

You think a programmer will get rid of this? or whats the best way to do so?, i know that the suspension was changed to a regular.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:27 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

You think a programmer will get rid of this? or whats the best way to do so?, i know that the suspension was changed to a regular.
Well, lets see. You removed components from a computer controlled suspension and didn't expect some sort of repercussions? The car thinks your suspension is screwed up and is trying to keep you from going fast enough to hurt youself.

OK, off the soapbox! Programmers work on the PCM (engine computer.) The F45 option is setup in the BCM, so no, a programmer is useless for this. You will need to get a dealer to perform the following procedure using their Tech II computer.

http://www.stopforce.com/RPO.html
Old 11-17-2008, 03:45 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
Well, lets see. You removed components from a computer controlled suspension and didn't expect some sort of repercussions? The car thinks your suspension is screwed up and is trying to keep you from going fast enough to hurt youself.

OK, off the soapbox! Programmers work on the PCM (engine computer.) The F45 option is setup in the BCM, so no, a programmer is useless for this. You will need to get a dealer to perform the following procedure using their Tech II computer.

http://www.stopforce.com/RPO.html

To the OP: Dude, you've got to tell the whole story if you want help. First you just had a message concerning max speed limit, then you say there is an additional message " shock inoperative", and finally you reveal that the F45 shocks have been removed.

All of that information is necessary to help you troubleshoot. It sucks when you have to pry info out of someone who is soliciting the forum for help.

Good luck with your issue.........
Old 11-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 11-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

A check engine light only applies to the engine. Most local mechanics are over their heads when it comes to working on late model cars, especially the Corvette. However, with the C5 you do not need to take it to anybody. You can access the appropriate codes through the DIC. To do this push and hold the options button. While holding the options button push the fuel button 4 times and the car will enter its onboard diagnostics mode. All codes in each of the car's 12 subsystems will be displayed on the DIC. Codes are in the format of X0000 X X. The X's stand for an alpha character and the 0's stand for a numeric character. You will see a bunch of them in the RTD subsystem.

Bill
Old 11-18-2008, 12:47 AM
estelius
Racer

I got this Vette at an auction, moron that had it before did a lot of custom work including swapping the auto transmission to a 6 speed, also the suspension was changed, is a big mess but i narrow it down to the 80 mph problem and that shows that the suspension is inoperable everything else has being taken care of, thanks for all the help guys.

Get notified of new replies

To My Corvette is limited to 80 mph, why?...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Corvette is limited to 80 mph, why?...