C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Brake Switch Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 05:33 PM
cleo299
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cruise Control Brake Switch Adjustment

99 convertible M6 - I am having what seems to be a relatively common problem - i.e. my CC is occasionally (actually rarely) turning off on its own when cruising. Irritating.... After searching this site, I tried the approach of holding the brake and clutch pedal up with the top of my foot and it seems to be related to the switch on the brake pedal. If I lightly touch the brake pedal, the CC turns off.

I have removed the panel under the dash and now have access to the switches on the brake pedal - and there are two.

Question 1 - Which switch is the CC cutoff?

The forum says the switch is adjusted by manually screwing it in/out. But the two switches are so close together that there does not appear to be enough clearance to spin either switch more than ~90 degrees in either direction.

Question 2 - How do I adjust the switch?

Looking at the switch installation, that would make me think that the switch should be moved closer to the brake pedal arm - delaying the actuation. However, when I look at the switch, the threaded portion appears to already be literally against the pedal arm with the brake at rest. So, if adjust this switch further forward, I am concerned that when the brake arm returns it will impact the switch - not just the spring actuator, but the actual switch body. I imagine this will quickly break the plastic switch body.

Question 3 - If the threaded switch body is already essentially touching the brake arm at rest, how will adjusting the switch body help this condition - i.e. delaying the switch actuation. And, won't this damage the switch anyway?

Thanks - any input would be much appreciated.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:49 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

This is what the manual says about it:

Stop Lamp Switch Adjustment

With the brake pedal depressed, insert the stoplamp/cruise control switch into the retainer until the switch body seats in the retainer.
Note that CLICKS can be heard as the threaded portion of the switch is pushed through the retainer.

Slowly pull the brake pedal fully rearward against the stop until the CLICK sound can no longer be heard. The switch will be moved in the retainer providing proper adjustment.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Slightly different from the Service Manual:
Cruise Release Switch Adjustment

1. Remove the LH I/P lower insulator panel. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Lower in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
  2. Ensure that the cruise control release switch is fully seated to the cruise control release switch bracket. Push the switch down toward the switch bracket; audible clicks will be heard while pushing the switch.
  3. Adjust the cruise control release switch. Grasp the clutch pedal and pull fully rearward against the pedal stop; audible clicks may be heard as the switch moves into the adjusted position.
  4. Install the LH I/P lower insulator panel. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Lower in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
Bill
Old 02-01-2009, 08:12 PM
cleo299
Advanced

Thanks for the quick response.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:13 PM
cleo299
Advanced

Thanks. It seems pretty straight forward.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Blendr
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insulator panel removal

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Slightly different from the Service Manual:
Cruise Release Switch Adjustment

1. Remove the LH I/P lower insulator panel. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Lower in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
  2. Ensure that the cruise control release switch is fully seated to the cruise control release switch bracket. Push the switch down toward the switch bracket; audible clicks will be heard while pushing the switch.
  3. Adjust the cruise control release switch. Grasp the clutch pedal and pull fully rearward against the pedal stop; audible clicks may be heard as the switch moves into the adjusted position.
  4. Install the LH I/P lower insulator panel. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Lower in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
Bill
know this is old, but looking for instructions on removing the insulator panel (the link in the forum does not appear to be active) thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Cruise Control Brake Switch Adjustment

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Brake Switch Adjustment