C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active handling goes nutz!! Almost causes accident...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 03:16 AM
sikpuppy
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ZO Fast
this seems very strange, because i have 315/30 18 on the back and 275/40 17 on the front and the rears i believe are smaller, but i have never had this problem
Actually they are the same size diameter (25.7") if your rears wear faster than the fronts (don't they always!), you MAY have the issue arise somewhere down the line.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 AM
deadbeatrec
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u guys got me scared to drive the car now.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:05 AM
YeloFevr
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
u guys got me scared to drive the car now.
If nothing else, make sure you have at least ONE hand with a strong grip on the steering wheel. You'll need it if your YRS or SWPS goes caddywompus.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:02 AM
gsx750r93
Instructor

I was having the same problem too..

Went away when i swapped my wheels out with Z06 wheels with good tires. My tires before in the rear where VERY bald. But i also at the same time put coilovers on and when i did i unlplugged and plugged the wheel sensor in many times. For me though whenever i decide to do a 3rd gear pull or such on the freeway i turn it off T/C and hold on.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Could the OP's problem simply be "trammeling"?

-
Old 02-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
Could the OP's problem simply be "trammeling"?

-

Doubt it...At least it wouldn't explain these OP comments.

The DIC is flashing Active Handling at me as I attempt to get control of the vehicle
Ok so here's the code it's throwing...

C1282 Yaw Rate Sensor Bias Circuit Malfunction
Old 02-17-2009, 07:24 AM
deadbeatrec
Racer

so by turning off TC and Active handling there is nothing to worry about correct?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:24 AM
YeloFevr
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

so by turning off TC and Active handling there is nothing to worry about correct?
Right. As long as you don't lose control of the car yourself.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:01 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

hope is doesn't rain
Old 02-18-2009, 07:26 AM
deadbeatrec
Racer

well im not saying that im going to daily drive around with it off, im saying that when i know im going on a long highway trip i will turn it off. i mostly drive with it on or in comp mode. i did a standing launch the other day with all 3 modes and comp def makes a huge difference.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

There are people who learn to drive cars with AH and TC. They dont know how to react in sitations that need AH and or AH if it fails.

Yes, you will be fine in manual mode "IF" you know how you car handles manually.

Other wise, you will be most likley in a ditch looking for ways out.

BC
Old 02-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Ralphyboy
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Wow, this is ALOT to think about. I've never had any issues, although I've had the AH kick in at times when the car bounces while at WOT, or when going over real rough pavement. I guess i should turn it off, and spend some time getting used to how the car handles without it. Try to remember to hit the AH button if something like this happens.

I had an issue with my DD Ford Explorer too. When in cruise control at 40 mph to be "safe" in local speed zone areas, it would start showing all the idiot lights on the dash, and then the truck would stall while in gear. I had no power steering, and no power brakes. Luckily, it occured to me to shift into neutral, and then restart it. It happened several times,but only at low speeds like that. The dealer flashed the computer, and fixed it.The point is that if we are not aware of these issues, we're not prepared for them. Thanks to the OP for bringing this up.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:37 AM
nitrouscharlie
Racer

Im having the same issues on my 00 Vette and Im wondering if:

first-- When running through the codeson my dash, letter will these codes be under.?

second-- Would any of these issues you guys are discussing be related to me getting the "Active handling Warming up" message Im getting. I live in 95 degree Texas, nothing here needs to warm up except for my ex-wife's heart...
Old 02-21-2009, 01:51 AM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I had this happen to me in summer 2008. I was driving down a 5 lane highway at about 70-75mph, in the middle lane, when all of a sudden the car jerks hard to the left. The "ACTIVE HANDLING" message was flashing on the DIC. I thank God for 2 things...1) I had my hand firmly on the steering wheel, and 2) I was in the middle lane. Had I been in the left lane, I would have smacked the center divider.

I checked for codes when I finally pulled off the highway, and none were to be found. At that point I came to the realization that I can do without some of these electronics. Now when I get in car....off goes the TC/AH.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:12 AM
deadbeatrec
Racer

2 things i would like to bring up.

1. y doesnt chevy do anything about this? is there no proof that this is happening?

2. for the people that constantly say that "u better know how to drive if u plan on turning the TC/AH off", i ask why? is the car going to start doing tailspins for no reason while driving down the road? and im not being ignorant because i know what u mean, but come on guys. these cars are powerfull and can get out of hand and i understand that but most of us i would assume have a good head on our shoulders and can understand that these cars are not toys and should be treated with respect.

although im a little mad about all this because i love comp mode.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:03 AM
LS7 C5
Pro

Originally Posted by Ralphyboy
Wow, this is ALOT to think about. I've never had any issues, although I've had the AH kick in at times when the car bounces while at WOT, or when going over real rough pavement. I guess i should turn it off, and spend some time getting used to how the car handles without it. Try to remember to hit the AH button if something like this happens.

I had an issue with my DD Ford Explorer too. When in cruise control at 40 mph to be "safe" in local speed zone areas, it would start showing all the idiot lights on the dash, and then the truck would stall while in gear. I had no power steering, and no power brakes. Luckily, it occured to me to shift into neutral, and then restart it. It happened several times,but only at low speeds like that. The dealer flashed the computer, and fixed it.The point is that if we are not aware of these issues, we're not prepared for them. Thanks to the OP for bringing this up.
I had this happen to me recently, I live on a ranch and drive a two lane road with little traffic 35 miles back and forth to work. Every once in a while when nobody is on this road I gas it, take it up to 130 mph and then back off the gas and go back to 70 mph (this happens very quickly with 500 rwhp).
This one day I punched it and at 110 mph the rearend of the car went to the left and put me at a 45 degree angle to the road the service active handling DIC came on and the car straightened out but in the oncoming lane! No fishtailing, no other loss of control, the active handling had instantly shut its self off. This happened in less than two seconds.
I went on to work and the DIC service active handling light remained on. When I got off work the light was no longer on the DIC and everything seemed normal. Later on the way home I decided to try and see if what had happened earlier was a fluke. At about the same speed the same exact thing happened (exactly). I got home ran the codes (there were a few) but the one that I believe was the problem was
C1282 Yaw control bias system failure.
I haven't driven the car since and it will be going in the shop soon. I can see where this could cause a fatal accident even at posted highway speeds. This was in a 2000 C5.
I'm still cleaning $hit out of my shorts!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LS7 C5
.. at 110 mph the rearend of the car went to the left and put me at a 45 degree angle to the road the service active handling DIC came on and the car straightened out but in the oncoming lane! No fishtailing, no other loss of control, the active handling had instantly shut its self off. This happened in less than two seconds.
.... on the way home I decided to try and see if what had happened earlier was a fluke. At about the same speed the same exact thing happened (exactly).......
I'm still cleaning $hit out of my shorts!

Man, this is a very scary story. Makes me afraid to drive my car.

-
Old 03-15-2009, 11:37 AM
LS7 C5
Pro

Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
Man, this is a very scary story. Makes me afraid to drive my car.

-
In searching other posts about C1282 Yaw control bias circuit malfuntion (old posts) I found one that mentioned part # 10409133, it is a "pencil like bracket" that prevents bounce of yaw rate sensor.
If I have this correct not all C5s came with them and the contact of the sensor in its circut can come loose, this would make since to me since I drive on country roads that arn't always smooth.
I believe Cheverolet mentioned this....Subject: unwanted active handling actiuation DTC C1282- keywords ABS active brake ebtcm stabiltrak #PIC3844 1-12-2006 1998-2004 C5
I got this from an old post I found last night.

Quick Reply: Active handling goes nutz!! Almost causes accident...