C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing a non memory drivers door mirror with a memory option mirror assy

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 12:22 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Received 4,127 Likes on 1,930 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Default Replacing a non memory drivers door mirror with a memory option mirror assy

I can't seem to find a clear answer on this.

I understand the memory mirrors have two connectors on them. The main motor power and directional control connector and then a second connector for memory function.

Obviously the non memory mirror only has one connector on it that if I understand correctly is the same connector as the main connector on a memory mirror.

Is it possible to plug the main connector of a memory mirror into a non memory cars single connector and will it function as a non memory mirror should?

I hope so or I just wasted 80 dollars.

Also to add clarity. I am not trying to convert my car to memory.

I just need a good clean mirror assembly as someone replaced the drivers mirror on this car prior to my ownership with a factory Red mirror and whoever did the black paint work sucked.

Bought a factory black mirror to put on the car that just needs a fresh coat of clear.
Old 12-23-2021, 07:22 AM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

It should work. The memory connector is for the position sensors in the memory mirror motor assembly. The +/- wires for the 2 motors are all in the main connector.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Black (12-23-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 11:30 AM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Thank you VetteMed. That is encouraging.

I don't have any wiring diagrams or manuals for this car so I can only go off of any common sense I have left and what very little info there is out there online.
Old 12-24-2021, 06:19 AM
oelarse
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Here is the schematic of your 97 LH mirror control

The following users liked this post:
Mr. Black (12-24-2021)
Old 01-27-2022, 08:47 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Just to follow up on this thread so it's not a dead ender. You can in fact install a memory capable door mirror onto a non memory C5. As a matter of fact doors appear to be wired for memory regardless as there's an empty connector in the door for the other small connector.

All hooked up and verified controls work properly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr. Black:
C5MSG2004Vert (01-28-2022), oelarse (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 10:40 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Black
Just to follow up on this thread so it's not a dead ender. You can in fact install a memory capable door mirror onto a non memory C5. As a matter of fact doors appear to be wired for memory regardless as there's an empty connector in the door for the other small connector.

All hooked up and verified controls work properly.
That's great, Mr. Black. I thought it would work, but was concerned it might throw a code.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:19 AM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by grinder11
That's great, Mr. Black. I thought it would work, but was concerned it might throw a code.
While I confess I certainly don't know everything about these cars, I can only surmise that going from a non memory mirror to a memory mirror in a non memory car the car won't care as there is wiring to nowhere that it's not looking for.

Now if you plug in the only plug from a non memory mirror into a memory capable car and leave the one plug missing I'd say it's going to get mad and say something is missing if that makes sense.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:59 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Black
While I confess I certainly don't know everything about these cars, I can only surmise that going from a non memory mirror to a memory mirror in a non memory car the car won't care as there is wiring to nowhere that it's not looking for.

Now if you plug in the only plug from a non memory mirror into a memory capable car and leave the one plug missing I'd say it's going to get mad and say something is missing if that makes sense.
I'm not sure if even GM knows everything electronically about these cars. So, we're in good company....

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing a non memory drivers door mirror with a memory option mirror assy

Quick Reply: Replacing a non memory drivers door mirror with a memory option mirror assy