C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake replacement upgrade C5Z: Wilwood or stock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 01:39 AM
GoKartMozart315
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake replacement upgrade C5Z: Wilwood or stock?

The front brake calipers on my C5Z are done, and it's time for a new pair. Always wanted a big brake kit, but they are not cheap. The car is mostly stock and I drive hard on the street, track not really a factor. Budget max $2,000.

Looking at the Wilwood Aero6 package which you see on the Spec Corvettes; a Wilwood setup like the SLC56 with their calipers and C6 rotors, maybe Hawk HPS pads; or just stock replacement calipers and the pads. SS lines and Motul RBF600 also. Thoughts?

Last edited by GoKartMozart315; 10-28-2021 at 01:40 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:06 AM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

On my daily driver C5Z, I went with C6 Z51 (Not C6Z) brakes. The rotors are larger, they are cross-drilled if that's what you're into, and the front calipers are slightly stiffer. Pads can be reused from your C5 front calipers, if desired. Rear calipers are supposedly different piston diameter but I just reused my C5 rear calipers with C6 rear brackets and the system works and feels great.
The following users liked this post:
GoKartMozart315 (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 06:13 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

If you want good brakes and not tracking you car, then go with a solid rotor or a slotted rotor and a great brake pad. For low dust options a Ceramic pad like the Carbotech Bearcats or if dust is not important a metallic one like Hawk Plus type pads.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gordy M:
gimp (11-01-2021), GoKartMozart315 (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 07:50 AM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

If you only street your car, then you don't have any use for a BBK. I used to use my car on track frequently (though I'm coming out of a couple years break now) and upgraded my brakes to C6 Z51 as VetteMed did above. The C6 Z51 brakes use the same pad but are a more rigid caliper design compared to the C5 ones that don't handle track use very well and they spread out over time. They also use a larger rotor as mentioned and require the matching bracket accordingly. I've been happy with the upgrade especially for what it cost me.
The following 3 users liked this post by oharal:
GoKartMozart315 (10-28-2021), heggsc5 (11-12-2021), Kubs (11-02-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 01:32 PM
OU812!
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I put Wilwood on my and love it. Be advised if you do the fronts it will eat at you to do the rears too.

The following 3 users liked this post by OU812!:
daflee (04-30-2023), GoKartMozart315 (11-01-2021), vinco (01-26-2022)
Old 10-30-2021, 10:25 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 659 Likes on 528 Posts

Many moons ago, a good friend pointed out to me that when faced with any question relative to cost of a desired item or upgrade, always pick the best, regardless of the cost difference. If you pick a lesser option, you will always regret it, but if you pick the best option you'll only regret the cost for a little bit, and then get on with enjoying the results of the decision.
That said, I'll stick with the stock calipers and try filling them with EBC Red Stuff pads first. Have had a mechanic ask me where I got them on a Ford when she (yes, she) couldn't believe how well a 3500 lb. car could stop.
Sam Handwich (01-26-2022)
Old 10-30-2021, 11:11 PM
BTTBSS
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Brakes for C5z

C6 Caliper with DBA 2-piece rotors in front DBA rototrs n rear with C6 calipers. Carbotech XP10 front XP 8 in rear. Works fine on the street and has survived many a track day with no fade or other brake issues.
GoKartMozart315 (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 10:57 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

I have C6z brakes all around.. obviously you can use stock c5 wheels.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:20 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by GoKartMozart315
The front brake calipers on my C5Z are done, and it's time for a new pair. Always wanted a big brake kit, but they are not cheap. The car is mostly stock and I drive hard on the street, track not really a factor. Budget max $2,000.

Looking at the Wilwood Aero6 package which you see on the Spec Corvettes; a Wilwood setup like the SLC56 with their calipers and C6 rotors, maybe Hawk HPS pads; or just stock replacement calipers and the pads. SS lines and Motul RBF600 also. Thoughts?

Few thoughts here based on what I think you're suggesting in Wilwood land:

1. The kit on the Spec Corvette is far beyond what you need for any sort of daily use. There are no benfits to the full floating hats, the thermlock pistons and 20mm pads. And I'll all but promise you'll need a wheel spacer if you plan on using stock wheels.

2. The SLC56 kits are based on the stock 12.88 front and 12.0" rear rotors only. They don't fit any C6 rotors- smallest base C5 parts only.

The above two thoughts are on the extreme opposite ends of the spectrum here. Both good products mind you but totally different buyer needs. One is a Caliper Kit for 17" wheels the other a competition kit for 18" wheels. While you can get the race kit to the door for under 2G (before the wheel spacers and longer studs...) and have a front only kit, you can get all four of the SLC56 calipers for well under that. But again; two totally different sized applications and markets.

What you may want to consider here, assuming you plan on 18s, is the street version Aero6 and FNSL4 rear caliper kits for stock C6 rotors. More rotor mass, no need for spacers (normally) and all the braking performance you'll ever need really but for those extreme track day weekends when race pads are in order- the ones you don't plan on attending anyhow. That'll set you back about 2G also but you'll need to source some C6 rotor on top of that. It is however then a very nice 4 wheel application.
GoKartMozart315 (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 12:42 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

What makes you think your calipers are done? Leaking? Damaged? Get some new or rebuilt C5 calipers and call it a day. I still track the car on the stock brakes. They have more than enough force with good pads. There is no need for a $2-3K BBK just for looks.

KNS house brand rotors $250/set
Hawk Performance Ceramic pads - low dust, low noise, good bite $176/front $145/rear
Hawk HP Plus - higher torque and fade resistance, more dust, more noise $187/front $148/rear

You're looking at $571-585 for new pads and rotors plus maybe $100 for some good used calipers, or $40 for a rebuild kit for your current calipers. Thats all you need to spend for the car to feel fantastic on the street.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kubs:
ArmchairArchitect (01-27-2022), GoKartMozart315 (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 12:46 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VetteMed
On my daily driver C5Z, I went with C6 Z51 (Not C6Z) brakes. The rotors are larger, they are cross-drilled if that's what you're into, and the front calipers are slightly stiffer. Pads can be reused from your C5 front calipers, if desired. Rear calipers are supposedly different piston diameter but I just reused my C5 rear calipers with C6 rear brackets and the system works and feels great.
The C6 Z51 front brakes are only 0.5" larger is diameter than the C5. The caliper is marginally better. Not worth the effort to upgrade.

The C6 Z51 rear brakes are 1.0" larger in diameter and the caliper has a smaller piston since the increase in rotor size was more than the front.

Unless you find a killer deal on used C6 Z51 caliper brackets, its not worth the effort to upgrade. C6 Z51 rotor sizes tend to be harder to find since its not as popular.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:07 PM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
The C6 Z51 front brakes are only 0.5" larger is diameter than the C5. The caliper is marginally better. Not worth the effort to upgrade.

The C6 Z51 rear brakes are 1.0" larger in diameter and the caliper has a smaller piston since the increase in rotor size was more than the front.

Unless you find a killer deal on used C6 Z51 caliper brackets, its not worth the effort to upgrade. C6 Z51 rotor sizes tend to be harder to find since its not as popular.
I don't disagree. I did get a killer deal, would not have done the swap otherwise. For my purposes (100% street driven) it was an unnecessary mod.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:08 PM
GoKartMozart315
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Todd TCE
Few thoughts here based on what I think you're suggesting in Wilwood land:

1. The kit on the Spec Corvette is far beyond what you need for any sort of daily use. There are no benfits to the full floating hats, the thermlock pistons and 20mm pads. And I'll all but promise you'll need a wheel spacer if you plan on using stock wheels.

2. The SLC56 kits are based on the stock 12.88 front and 12.0" rear rotors only. They don't fit any C6 rotors- smallest base C5 parts only.

The above two thoughts are on the extreme opposite ends of the spectrum here. Both good products mind you but totally different buyer needs. One is a Caliper Kit for 17" wheels the other a competition kit for 18" wheels. While you can get the race kit to the door for under 2G (before the wheel spacers and longer studs...) and have a front only kit, you can get all four of the SLC56 calipers for well under that. But again; two totally different sized applications and markets.

What you may want to consider here, assuming you plan on 18s, is the street version Aero6 and FNSL4 rear caliper kits for stock C6 rotors. More rotor mass, no need for spacers (normally) and all the braking performance you'll ever need really but for those extreme track day weekends when race pads are in order- the ones you don't plan on attending anyhow. That'll set you back about 2G also but you'll need to source some C6 rotor on top of that. It is however then a very nice 4 wheel application.

Thanks a lot, I believe the Aero 6 setup I'm considering is what you're describing: the street kit caliper, separate C6-spec rotors. I have the stock 18in rear wheels all around, and not planning to replace the rear calipers, just upgrade pad/line/rotor. This may work well.

Do you think I'll experience shorter stopping distance, and significantly-improved braking feel, over just a stock replacement caliper? Or is the real advantage only in track endurance?
Old 11-02-2021, 05:13 PM
GoKartMozart315
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Kubs
What makes you think your calipers are done? Leaking? Damaged? Get some new or rebuilt C5 calipers and call it a day. I still track the car on the stock brakes. They have more than enough force with good pads. There is no need for a $2-3K BBK just for looks.

KNS house brand rotors $250/set
Hawk Performance Ceramic pads - low dust, low noise, good bite $176/front $145/rear
Hawk HP Plus - higher torque and fade resistance, more dust, more noise $187/front $148/rear

You're looking at $571-585 for new pads and rotors plus maybe $100 for some good used calipers, or $40 for a rebuild kit for your current calipers. Thats all you need to spend for the car to feel fantastic on the street.
FAST tried rebuilding them already, they're damaged and stretched out. I may not track but I live pretty hard on the street apparently.

I can get the Wilwood setup discussed above for $1,500 and end up with 6-piston in front. Surprised you track that hard with stock, will the feel not improve on the street? I had awful NAPA pads in the car before and the braking distance just wasn't short enough; would the big brakes improve that or not really?

Love the sticker btw, where'd you get that particular one? That's my name and could use a matching shirt.

Last edited by GoKartMozart315; 01-28-2022 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:22 PM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

There is no chance in hell you're hard enough on brakes in street use to justify needing anything more than stock brakes.
If you want reduced stopping distance and nothing in the brakes is literally failing, AND you're able to activate ABS on dry pavement, the ONLY way to reduce stopping distance is getting stickier tires. Your tire friction is the limiting factor in this case.
if you CAN'T get into ABS, almost for sure something is broken. Otherwise a higher friction pad will help if youre already running 100 or 200 treadwear tires. The size of the brakes has very little to do with actual stopping distance and everything to do with effectively turning speed into heat and getting that heat away into the atmosphere. Big brakes vent heat into the atmosphere more effectively and have greater thermal mass (and physical mass, that's bad!) So they can have more energy at the same temperature.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:05 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks a lot, I believe the Aero 6 setup I'm considering is what you're describing: the street kit caliper, separate C6-spec rotors. I have the stock 18in rear wheels all around, and not planning to replace the rear calipers, just upgrade pad/line/rotor. This may work well.

Do you think I'll experience shorter stopping distance, and significantly-improved braking feel, over just a stock replacement caliper? Or is the real advantage only in track endurance?

Got it. Yes the Comp Race kit is way past your needs.

As discussed above the overall stopping distance is unlikely to change much. By physics you'll be "tire limited" but that said responsiveness and pedal feel/feedback will be improved. And if you go to the larger 14" C6 Z06 you'll get a more efficient formula for applying that brake torque with a great heat sink should you choose to push it harder.

As for "why" you do this: that's your call. If you do it for looks and it makes you happy....it's really none of their damn business is it. We could spend weeks picking apart the reasons for buying items for a car...

Last edited by Todd TCE; 11-02-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:47 PM
GoKartMozart315
Heel & Toe

Got it. Yes the Comp Race kit is way past your needs.

As discussed above the overall stopping distance is unlikely to change much. By physics you'll be "tire limited" but that said responsiveness and pedal feel/feedback will be improved. And if you go to the larger 14" C6 Z06 you'll get a more efficient formula for applying that brake torque with a great heat sink should you choose to push it harder.

As for "why" you do this: that's your call. If you do it for looks and it makes you happy....it's really none of their damn business is it. We could spend weeks picking apart the reasons for buying items for a car...
Appreciated and makes a lot of sense. Really my only goal is to have a car that stops shorter and provides more confidence, while I want a BBK it's not a toy I'll buy if it doesn't achieve my goals. This is tricky.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake replacement upgrade C5Z: Wilwood or stock?

Old 11-03-2021, 08:22 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

FAST tried rebuilding them already, they're damaged and stretched out. I may not track but I live pretty hard on the street apparently.

I can get the Wilwood setup discussed above for $1,500 and end up with 6-piston in front. Surprised you track that hard with stock, will the feel not improve on the street? I had awful NAPA pads in the car before and the breaking distance just wasn't short enough; would the big brakes improve that or not really?

Love the sticker btw, where'd you get that particular one? That's my name and could use a matching shirt.
If the calipers are damaged and cannot be rebuilt then I would look for nice used ones and rebuild those.

The actual clamping force and torque applied to the system are the same with stock and any aftermarket. What you get with a nice BBK caliper is more consistent feel and longevity out of the pads. The stock setup with GOOD PADS is more than enough braking force. The stock calipers flex and twist causing the pad to wear uneven, and the pads knock the pistons back in the bore so you have to tap the pedal before a big brake zone to make sure the pedal is solid before braking. Those issues go away with aftermarket calipers but it doesnt stop any faster. The stock pad shape is also much larger in total area than most Wilwood, Brembo, or some AP calipers.

Those NAPA pads were probably just garbage. Good pads like Hawk will transform the feel, even on the street.

The sticker I got from a friend who ordered a bunch of Etsy I think. He got a bunch and just gave me one.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:25 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

I agree with this statement. If a BBK is what you really want for looks or cool factor or anything thats great. I was trying to be realistic that the feel might not be all that different on the street and would hate to have you spend all that money and be disappointed in the outcome.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:16 PM
GoKartMozart315
Heel & Toe

Thanks for all the great advice and debate in here. I went with the Wilwood Aero 6 street kit calipers and lines with the BP-20 pads, Stoptech sport slotted for C6Z fitment, and stock replacement rotors, Goodridge lines, and Hawk HPS pads in the rear. Car feels GREAT and at least to me, the braking distance feels significantly shorter. It's exactly what I hoped it would be, and my debate and work saved a significant amount.

If anybody wants to buy my stock front calipers and rebuild, let me know! Will go up for sale on forum soon.

Last edited by GoKartMozart315; 01-26-2022 at 06:04 PM.
ArmchairArchitect (01-27-2022)

Quick Reply: Brake replacement upgrade C5Z: Wilwood or stock?