C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harmonic balancer replacement...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:19 AM
DonsC5
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default harmonic balancer replacement...HELP!!!

Ok guys... Let me preface this thread by saying i am in no way mechanically inclined... im having a local (well qualified) mechanic replacing my balancer. He has no problem taking care of moving the steering rack out of the way. He is alittle gun shy so to speak at using your average 3 jaw pulley puller. He noticed the shaft of the new (and stock oem replacement puller) is aluminum vs the rest of the pulley being steel, and is worried about separating the 2 halves while pulling on it.
Is there a special LS1 pulley puller needed for this task?.... my H.S. buddie who works at the local chevy dealer and owns an LS1 in his camaro said there isnt one and a regular puller is all that is neccessary. He also assured me that he's done a bunch of them and never had a problem...

Any idea how i should proceed?...my mechanic just doesnt want to skrew things up for obvious reasons... and i know i can get a pretty good response from you guys...Any info would be MUCH appreciated...

Don

Last edited by DonsC5; 04-03-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:48 AM
timemender
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Turn the jaws of the puller outward to pull on the inner hub and NOT the outer pulley section.

EDIT - Go to AutoZone OR Advance Auto and ask to rent the Chrysler balancer puller.

Last edited by timemender; 04-03-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:01 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DonsC5
Ok guys... Let me preface this thread by saying i am in no way mechanically inclined... im having a local (well qualified) mechanic replacing my balancer. He has no problem taking care of moving the steering rack out of the way. He is alittle gun shy so to speak at using your average 3 jaw pulley puller. He noticed the shaft of the new (and stock oem replacement puller) is aluminum vs the rest of the pulley being steel, and is worried about separating the 2 halves while pulling on it.
Is there a special LS1 pulley puller needed for this task?.... my H.S. buddie who works at the local chevy dealer and owns an LS1 in his camaro said there isnt one and a regular puller is all that is neccessary. He also assured me that he's done a bunch of them and never had a problem...

Any idea how i should proceed?...my mechanic just doesnt want to skrew things up for obvious reasons... and i know i can get a pretty good response from you guys...Any info would be MUCH appreciated...

Don
I've never heard of a "well qualified" mechanic soliciting a customer on the best way to repair their car...... Does he no have access to a service manual for a C5? If not, I would not be confident in letting him proceed.......
Old 04-03-2009, 12:09 PM
DonsC5
Instructor

he never asked me how to replace it...just let me know about his concern about it...
Old 04-03-2009, 12:17 PM
69dodgecharger
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

regular 3 prong puller works just fine. I have pulled many off. Pull from the inside of the pulley. Make sure he uses the correct tightening process for the new crank bolt or he'll be doing it again.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:17 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

You may also want to ensure he has the correct tools to install the new one. If using the GM bolt, an angle meter is required as well.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:20 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

he never asked me how to replace it...just let me know about his concern about it...
Sorry bro, this is his profession, and he is charged with having the necessary tools and manuals to perform the work. Like Vettenuts stated, you better check to see if he has the proper tools for this job, and the correct torque spec, etc.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:26 PM
DonsC5
Instructor

oh he already told me he has the chrysler puller and has done hundreds of them that have the same pressed aluminum shaft... i think he is just gun shy to work on a c5. i do live in maine...not many up here. and i just dont like being robbed by the local dealers...
Old 04-03-2009, 12:31 PM
DonsC5
Instructor

Originally Posted by 69dodgecharger
regular 3 prong puller works just fine. I have pulled many off. Pull from the inside of the pulley. Make sure he uses the correct tightening process for the new crank bolt or he'll be doing it again.
do you know where i can access the correct installation instructions?...just so i can have the right torque...? im sure he absolutely knows what hes doing by the wall of trophys he has...its just my baby...im a very very middle class guy who dreamed of owning this car for like 20 years...now that i have one i dont want to be working on it for the rest of the spring...
Old 04-03-2009, 12:37 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

do you know where i can access the correct installation instructions?...just so i can have the right torque...? im sure he absolutely knows what hes doing by the wall of trophys he has...its just my baby...im a very very middle class guy who dreamed of owning this car for like 20 years...now that i have one i dont want to be working on it for the rest of the spring...

Last edited by lucky131969; 04-03-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:40 PM
lucky99
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just pulled mine, used a 3 jaw puller. Pull from the inside of the balancer, there are three slots to place the puller jaws.Put a little tension on the balancer then put some heat on it, hand held torch works great. Mine came off no problem.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:41 PM
DonsC5
Instructor

thank you so much... i knew i could count on you guys...maybe ill make that 2000 mile road trip in 3 weeks afterall....

Get notified of new replies

To harmonic balancer replacement...HELP!!!

Quick Reply: harmonic balancer replacement...HELP!!!