C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making My own SLP LoudMouths.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 03:09 PM
Hoonigan628
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making My own SLP LoudMouths.

Been giving this some thought, Thinking about making my own loudmouth exhaust, because honestly, I'm not shelling out 900 dollars for a couple of mandrel bent pipes with tips welded on, seem wildly over priced. Has anyone else done this? I found the tips online, 5" long, 2.5" inlets with 4" outlet. Just basically gotta get some pipes bent and its done from what i can tell looking at the SLP ones. Still just dont understand how they get $900 for those. Stainless or not, that's insane.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:38 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

No experience... but why not just buy a used base set of mufflers. Less than $100 unless you get ripped. Cut'em up for your pipes.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:53 PM
jdwtx85
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey buddy I did this to my last car
$60 base mufflers, $35 eBay 4" tips, $60 muffler shop.
I do SERIOUSLY recommnd buying a $40 eBay 2.5" xpipe. The stock hpipe is literally a .5" hole. It will make the exhaust sound 100% better!!!!!!

Old 08-20-2018, 06:59 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Spend money on headers and fabricate the rest and save a lot of money. Like you said it's simple mandrel bends. I believe SLP LM1's are a hollow cavity "muffler" anyways. Literally NOTHING inside of them. LM2's have SOME packing and a perforated core.

Last edited by smitty2919; 08-20-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:21 PM
Hoonigan628
Cruising

Yea I already dropped the cats out and put straight through resonators in places, dropped mufflers and put in Race bullits, I did the Dual tips out the back, but I like the 4 tips dead center in the back, was hoping maybe someone knew what the degree on bends where on the SLP Loudmouths so I can copy them, would save me a lot of bend-test-bend action and make fab and fitment easier.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:43 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

I remember wanting to buy SLP loudmouth in about 2004 ish, I thought they seemed overpriced back then at $500.00, now 900.00 wow!
Old 08-23-2018, 09:29 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Cutting up a cheap stock exhaust is a great way to make inexpensive straight pipes. I have a set on my LS3 C5, love how loud they are.

Pretty ugly but they work. I think they'll look a ton better once I get a nice coat of paint on them.

Last edited by nsogiba; 08-23-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:35 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,194 Posts

I’m beginning the C5z search...and therefore pricing out exhaust and suspension. Coming from a 4th gen camaro...Corvette stuff is REDICULOUSLY priced.

$900 for a axle back? Get bent! Total of 6ft worth of pipe hell no. I’d pay that for corsa due to their no drone technology mufflers but for a genral borla/magnaflow/slp system with basic straight through perforated core mufflers...no.

I see myself fabricating an all aluminum system...just because LOL. Spend money on SW or KOOKS headers and make the rest.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:49 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Most name branded axle backs are in the $900 - $1,400 and honestly that's incredibly ridiculous considering all axle backs do is make noises. Your power gains are going to be in the headers and crossover. This whole "buy name brand" mentality just because it's going on a Corvette is so incredibly ridiculous.

The only concerns with straight pipes other than the massive noise generated is watch heat generated around the sway bar and leaf spring. Some people who run dumps see excessive heat in that area and have had leaf springs crack. Obviously you won't see the same with the tips going out back but if the mandrel bends are too close to the rear sub frame and components you could melt something back there.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:01 PM
Hoonigan628
Cruising

Good point on the heat. I may put a little heat wrap in place in critical areas. I pulled the trigger on my exhaust tips. I looked up specs on the SLPs. All they have is 2.5" in/4" out tips, ran to 2 Y pipes for collectors. Those f**kers at SLP are cracked outta of there some. I'll have their same axleback exhaust system fabbed up for $150. I'll post pics when I'm done. Gotta wait for the exhaust pieces in the mail. I'm not wasting time on mandrel bends, it's all straight flow and this is the last 4ft of exhaust pipe it qont make a difference. That crap only matters in the headers.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:35 PM
jdwtx85
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonigan628
Good point on the heat. I may put a little heat wrap in place in critical areas. I pulled the trigger on my exhaust tips. I looked up specs on the SLPs. All they have is 2.5" in/4" out tips, ran to 2 Y pipes for collectors. Those f**kers at SLP are cracked outta of there some. I'll have their same axleback exhaust system fabbed up for $150. I'll post pics when I'm done. Gotta wait for the exhaust pieces in the mail. I'm not wasting time on mandrel bends, it's all straight flow and this is the last 4ft of exhaust pipe it qont make a difference. That crap only matters in the headers.
hey buddy you can' get so mad at slp. It's capitalizim, thats what makes this country thrive. They make a quality product and charge x amount of dollars, you can pay or not pay. If you haven't noticed yet most corvette owners drop tons of money into there cars and some pay for those fancy parts others do. I for one like you seen few post up made my own cause i would not pay $500 for borla straights. On the other had I could piece together a meth kit for my turbo build but I decided to buy the best kit because thats what I feel is the best thing.
but I still won't pay for a oil change LOL
good luck with your exhaust build, can't wait to see the pics.
Jason

Get notified of new replies

To Making My own SLP LoudMouths.

Quick Reply: Making My own SLP LoudMouths.