C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow Cats and X-Pipe with Z06 Ti?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:30 PM
kettemr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Magnaflow Cats and X-Pipe with Z06 Ti?

2001 M6 with Z06 Titanium axle back exhaust. Confirmed today that the factory cats have gone bad.... They rattle nasty.

Replacing with OEM (I'm out of 8 year warranty) is $1,600. Not an option IMO.

Will the Magnaflow cats (93988) plus x-pipe (15437) bolt on and allow me to keep my titanium Z06 from the axle back? Does everything line up with the stock manifold up front and the Titanium Z06 by the rear axle? Cost is reasonable (under $700 includes shipping).

I think I'm OK but want assurance - Anyone else running this set-up?

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:50 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

U r so close to buffalo, NY so buy my stock exhaust from my 01 Z06 excellent condition, everthing except catback. Only thing is i gutted pre cats which have nothing to do with emmissions or visual inspection, i even include exhaust manifold gasket which is D shape.

for a small fee i can even install for ya at your place, Pm me if u r interested.

otherwise magnaflow X pipe and cats will fit just perfect with no modification.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:07 AM
kettemr
Instructor

Thanks for the reply and offer... I think I'm sold on the Magnaflow system but just wanted to be certain that it would all fit, especially that the bolt holes would line up at the back of the x-pipe to the Z06 titanium part. In researching this, I was amazed to see that the Magnaflow axle back portion is so heavy. I noticed the difference when I went from stock to titanium.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:06 AM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

No a problem bud, i install Corsa pace car mufflers last weekend, i already have corsa X pipe, fit and finish no problem, only thing they are so heavy i had to use a small jack to support X-pipe and mid pipe. GL i think u should be happy.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:14 PM
GT2BHPPY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a set of AR long tube headers w/ high flow cats, keep the TIs to prevent the reasonance at cruise, while enjoying the sound under acceleration. And the extra HP doesn't hurt!
Old 06-06-2009, 08:51 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Rob came to my home today, and unfortunately his magnaflow catback and their cats did not fit well, so we install stock Oem middle section that includes h pipe and cats, fit very well and he is a happy camper.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:04 PM
kettemr
Instructor

Thanks Sami. You are a solid guy. I appreciate your help.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:08 PM
JCOB2
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 69 Posts

I am about to attempt something similar. I have the Magnaflow 'Stinger' exhaust system (X-pipe into straight pipes with inline resonators basically). Too much noise with a new motor I just put in, so I'm picking up a Z06 titanium exhaust this weekend.

Can you describe to me in detail what it was that didn't work about keeping the Manaflow x-pipe with the Ti rear section? Did the flanges not line up? Was it close or way off?
Old 08-28-2009, 01:37 AM
nuck
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's interesting. I thought they all swapped freely. I had Borla Stingers and oan therwise stock exhaust and went to Z06 Ti with Random cats and X pipe and they bolted up cleanly.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:45 PM
JCOB2
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Follow-up for future peeps

Just want to follow up with the results of the fitment. The Ti mufflers bolted up well, not perfect, but well. The alignment of the flanges on the exhaust pipes and the X-over pipe is dead-on perfect in terms of frontwards/backwards, which is the most important spec since otherwise you would have to weld in extensions and the project would get really messy and require professional shop/welding work. So, in that area, things line up just fine. Simply drop out the old exhaust, put in the Ti mufflers, and bolt the flanges together.

One minor hiccup was that the Magnaflow exhaust that I had on the car used 3/8" diameter bolts/nuts to join the 2 flanges. The diameter of the holes on the flanges for the Magnaflow X-pipe are 3/8" so the bolts slip through easily, but the diameter of the holes on the Ti exhaust flanges are slightly smaller at 5/16", so I had to make a run to the hardware store and pickup four (4) 5/16" x 1.5" bolts and nuts. It was a good excuse to swap in some stainless steel bolts and prevent future headaches if I ever have to remove the exhuast.

Once I had the right bolts, I put everything together, and ran into one last problem. On the drivers side, the tips hang too low. This appears to be a rotational alignment problem with how the Ti-exhaust flange mates up with the Magnaflow X-over pipe flanges. The bolt holes are a few degrees off angularly, and as a result, the muffler is rotated a few degress, and the tips appear out of alignment.

I did a forum search using keywords like "Ti tip align" and such, and found an abundance of similar reported problems when swapping in a Ti exhaust to any intermediate pipe, be it the H-pipe of a non-Ti factory exhaust, or an aftermarket X-pipe such as I have. There appears to be something unique about the Ti exhaust and the rotational angle at which that flange was welded on being different from a stock non-Ti exhaust. Curiously, in every thread, it is always just a problem with the drivers side, as was in my case as well.

Some people said they "fixed" it by "massaging" the exhaust outlet pipes. Some took the "BFH" approach, while others were gentler and used a jack with a piece of wood to bend the exhaust pipes. In my opinion (and others as well in many threads), this puts the exhaust pipes at risk for cracking at the weld points during the "massaging" which could lead to a pricey titanium welding repair bill, and it's really just not the right way to correct the angular misalignment problem.

The best fix I found was somone suggested elongating (ovaling) the bolt holes on either one of the flanges so that there is some rotation potential allowed in mating the two flanges together. I would choose to widen the holes on the X-pipe since mild steel is easier to cut than Titanium! I have yet to do this, but I think a stone grinding bit or Rotozip with metal cutting bit may do the trick. Once you have some angular play in the mating flanges, the tips could be aligned quite easily I would think.

Last edited by JCOB2; 09-08-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:10 AM
dldaniil7
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey i saw ur comment u install exhausts for a low price? im buying a magnaflow with a x pipe crossover i live in fort lee nj 2000 vette ..hw much will u charge me?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:39 AM
JonLT4CE
Racer

I just installed the cat section. I don't recommend it. I had to cut the brace in order get the flanges to mount to the manifold. They also hang lower than tha factory setup. The xpipe is probaby ok.

Jon

Originally Posted by kettemr
2001 M6 with Z06 Titanium axle back exhaust. Confirmed today that the factory cats have gone bad.... They rattle nasty.

Replacing with OEM (I'm out of 8 year warranty) is $1,600. Not an option IMO.

Will the Magnaflow cats (93988) plus x-pipe (15437) bolt on and allow me to keep my titanium Z06 from the axle back? Does everything line up with the stock manifold up front and the Titanium Z06 by the rear axle? Cost is reasonable (under $700 includes shipping).

I think I'm OK but want assurance - Anyone else running this set-up?

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:42 AM
JonLT4CE
Racer

Doing this from my phone. I just noticed how old this thread is...doh!!

[
QUOTE=JonLT4CE;1580210238]I just installed the cat section. I don't recommend it. I had to cut the brace in order get the flanges to mount to the manifold. They also hang lower than tha factory setup. The xpipe is probaby ok.

Jon[/QUOTE]
Old 03-07-2012, 02:33 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Any pics of the magnaflow cat section?
Old 03-07-2012, 02:43 PM
tonyh2000
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Past the 45 day rule for old threads.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnaflow Cats and X-Pipe with Z06 Ti?

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Cats and X-Pipe with Z06 Ti?