C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch sticking to floor under hard acceleration????

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by chuckster
Why does it only happen at high RPM?
Five months later, this is the question that still goes unanswered (from any fluid power logic standpoint).

Go Figure.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:30 PM
YeloFevr
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

How about a clutch that sticks HALFWAY? Had that one happen to me the other night when I was shifting high.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:41 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
Five months later, this is the question that still goes unanswered (from any fluid power logic standpoint).

Go Figure.

It's been answerd, you just choose to ignore it. From a previous conversation you and I had on this subject:

Quote:
No doubt about the slave moving the same distance every time.

Now, what about the other moving component? Are you assuming the belleville spring fingers (in it's normal clamped state) remain in a static position regardless of RPM?

I don't assume anything when it comes to this condition, I studied the old pressure plate carefully when I removed it and I do not think that the over-center theory is plausible. I have not data or calucluations to support my claim, just my own sense of working on many things mechanical over the last 30 plus years. Based on my observation, I believe the clamping force on the LUK pressure plate increases with increased RPM, if I was designing the unit that is the way I would do it.

I think the problem is much simpler in my opinion, over time, the slave cylider concentric piston and or the cylider walls just wear out. Whether it's due to heat, scoring from contaminants (like mine), or because of the way the car is driven, there comes a point when the actuating force on the slave cylinder can no longer overcome the opposing force of the diapragm spring under a high load because the fluid ends up leaking by the piston and cylinder wall.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:53 PM
ncvettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Chuckster.

Way to tell it like it is.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by ipuig
It's been answerd, you just choose to ignore it. From a previous conversation you and I had on this subject:
I didn't ignore it, I dismissed it because it's not a plausible theory, and it explains nothing.

If the scored walls of your slave were the cause of a missed actuation, what exactly has happened to come to that conclusion?

Did the pressurized fluid escape through the bad seal, or did the non-pressurized clutch dust somehow overcome the fluid pressure behind that seal? And even if it did, how did it prevent the actuation?

Basic physics, really. If you have a bad rod seal on your floor jack cylinder, guess what, it doesn't lift your car, it just squirts fluid all over the floor. The slave is much the same....if it can "go weak" it can only do so by relieving fluid pressure, and/or reducing the fluid surface area..

So...did you notice a lot of fluid loss when your clutch was problematic?
If you did, would you expect that fluid to soak the clutch and present slippage issues even in low speed driving too?

You've got a LOT more explaining to do to convince us how C5 clutches somehow overcome the basic laws of physics....but only at high RPM.

Last edited by Y2Kvert4me; 09-23-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:26 PM
ipuig
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

I didn't ignore it, I dismissed it because it's not a plausible theory, and it explains nothing.

If the scored walls of your slave were the cause of a missed actuation, what exactly has happened to come to that conclusion?

Did the pressurized fluid escape through the bad seal, or did the non-pressurized clutch dust somehow overcome the fluid pressure behind that seal? And even if it did, how did it prevent the actuation?

Basic physics, really. If you have a bad rod seal on your floor jack cylinder, guess what, it doesn't lift your car, it just squirts fluid all over the floor. The slave is much the same....if it can "go weak" it can only do so by relieving fluid pressure, and/or reducing the fluid surface area..

So...did you notice a lot of fluid loss when your clutch was problematic?
If you did, would you expect that fluid to soak the clutch and present slippage issues even in low speed driving too?

You've got a LOT more explaining to do to convince us how C5 clutches somehow overcome the basic laws of physics....but only at high RPM.

There is nothing to explain, hydraulic fluid can leak-by past the concentric piston without leaking from the slave cylinder actuator assembly. The seal that keeps the fluid within the actuator housing is on the release bearing housing.

I believed your buddy posted these pictures.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...cs-inside.html

Last edited by ipuig; 09-23-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

There is nothing to explain, hydraulic fluid can leak-by past the concentric piston without leaking from the slave cylinder actuator assembly. The seal that keeps the fluid within the actuator housing is on the release bearing housing.
Actually, the O-ring itself is the piston that moves back and forth on the main shaft of the actuator and propels forward the throw-out bearing.

It is squeegee action by the O-ring seal that moves the clutch dust from the ID and OD of the main shaft back into the fluid without any fluid leaking out. It is proven. Clutch dust fouls the main shaft on every launch and high-rpm up-shift and down-shift. You can seen the clutch dust in the picture below.

The clutch dust causes stiction by the seals in the master cylinder and can also adversely impact the action of the O-ring seal of the actuator.

Those are causative factors in failure to achieve nominal hydraulic pressure.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 09-23-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

I believed your buddy posted these pictures.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...cs-inside.html
Ahh, great thread.

That's the one Ranger put me on his ignore list because he couldn't answer simple questions that weren't conductive to his protocol.

I give you credit though, you wear bigger panties that don't bunch up quite as easily as his.

Ok, anyways, so now you surmise that the pressurized fluid isn't leaking externally, just traveling around, circulating within the slave, kind of acting as it's own bypass or pressure relief. Correct?

So again that leads us to how internal slave pressures differ at 6000 RPM vs 1000 engine RPM? Did the hydraulic pressure applied to the slave change, and if so, how?

Hint; if you say the pressure plate, you might only agree with what I've been saying all along.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:03 PM
260B4U
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so lets me throw this in the mix... i bought my z06 about 6months ago and looked at the forum threads and then looked at my clutch fluid reservoir it was black!! i changed out the fluid several times till i could drive it with out it being black. now i change it every month and the fluid is never black when i go to change it. and lately (since the weather change)when my car is cold and i start it up i put in first and the pedal goes right to the floor and i'm stuck in first until the car stalls out. i pump the pedal and pull it back out a few times and its fine once the car is warmed up so this is a "low rpm" situation my fluid is not low so i assume that im not leaking from my master or slave cylinder
any thoughts ???
Old 09-23-2009, 10:12 PM
ipuig
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Ranger
It is squeegee action by the O-ring seal that moves the clutch dust into the fluid without any fluid leaking out. It is proven.

The clutch dust causes stiction by the seals in the master cylinder and can also adversely impact the action of the main seal on the actuator.

Those are causative factors in failure to achieve nominal hydraulic pressure.

Ranger
I did not have mine analized when I took it apart, but there was definetly sediment within the slave cylinder and scoring of the cylinder walls. Quite frankly, from what I saw I believe my slave cylinder failed because of heat damage from me beating on it like a read headed step child.
The sediment & debris looked like rubber pieces parts to me, but like I said I did not have it analyzed so I cannot state that definitively. I believe the sediment and scoring is what was allowing the fluid leak-by around the concentric piston under high loads.
I think LUK clutches are very good when used within their design specifications. I would have left the slave cylinder outside of the bell-housing but that is a topic for another discussion.
For those of you that want to buy GUCCI clutches, I say go for it it's your money!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 260B4U
so lets me throw this in the mix... i bought my z06 about 6months ago and looked at the forum threads and then looked at my clutch fluid reservoir it was black!! i changed out the fluid several times till i could drive it with out it being black. now i change it every month and the fluid is never black when i go to change it. and lately (since the weather change)when my car is cold and i start it up i put in first and the pedal goes right to the floor and i'm stuck in first until the car stalls out. i pump the pedal and pull it back out a few times and its fine once the car is warmed up so this is a "low rpm" situation my fluid is not low so i assume that im not leaking from my master or slave cylinder
any thoughts ???
Your master cylinder is toast. 30K-40K miles by the original owners without routine clutch fluid maintenance will kill the master. Suggest you swap to the latest PN for your VIN. I'd suggest not doing any spirited driving with a failing master. The missed shift hazard can trash the tranny.

Your power level (profile) looks to be about 380 rwhp now and more to come. So you are marginal with the stock LS6 clutch clamping power. If more power is in your future, you will want to start researching clutches.

Ranger
Old 09-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I did not have mine analized when I took it apart, but there was definetly sediment within the slave cylinder and scoring of the cylinder walls. Quite frankly, from what I saw I believe my slave cylinder failed because of heat damage from me beating on it like a read headed step child.
The sediment & debris looked like rubber pieces parts to me, but like I said I did not have it analyzed so I cannot state that definitively. I believe the sediment and scoring is what was allowing the fluid leak-by around the concentric piston under high loads.
I think LUK clutches are very good when used within their design specifications. I would have left the slave cylinder outside of the bell-housing but that is a topic for another discussion.
For those of you that want to buy GUCCI clutches, I say go for it it's your money!
The black stuff is clutch dust (see my pic above). I have had it analyzed and published the lab report on the forum. The tests are conclusive.

Ranger
Old 09-23-2009, 11:23 PM
ipuig
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

The black stuff is clutch dust (see my pic above). I have had it analyzed and published the lab report on the forum. The tests are conclusive.

Ranger
I'll take your word on the analysis, like I said I did not have mine tested. I'm still having a hard time picturing how it's getting into the slave cylinder.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:28 PM
ipuig
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Ahh, great thread.

That's the one Ranger put me on his ignore list because he couldn't answer simple questions that weren't conductive to his protocol.

I give you credit though, you wear bigger panties that don't bunch up quite as easily as his.

Ok, anyways, so now you surmise that the pressurized fluid isn't leaking externally, just traveling around, circulating within the slave, kind of acting as it's own bypass or pressure relief. Correct?

So again that leads us to how internal slave pressures differ at 6000 RPM vs 1000 engine RPM? Did the hydraulic pressure applied to the slave change, and if so, how?

Hint; if you say the pressure plate, you might only agree with what I've been saying all along.
I don't wear panties, I wear a size 64 thong, look at my picture. As far as the clutch is concerned, I told you several months ago that I thought the increased clamping force at the higher RPM ranges is what pushes the slave cylinder actuator back when it gets weak due to leak-by at the concentric piston.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:02 AM
ipuig
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

----------------------------------------
How the Clutch Hydraulics Work
----------------------------------------
It’s always a good idea to go to the source document for a definitive description of the operation of the clutch hydraulics. In this case the Corvette Service Manual 2006, Volume 3, page 7-360, and I quote:

The clutch hydraulic system consists of a master cylinder and an actuator cylinder.

When pressure is applied to the clutch pedal (pedal depressed), the pushrod contacts the plunger and pushes it down the bore of the master cylinder.

In the first 0.8 mm (0.031 in) of movement, the recuperation seal closes the port to the fluid reservoir tank, and as the plunger continues to move down the bore of the cylinder, the fluid is forced through the outlet line to the actuator cylinder mounted to the driveline support assembly.

As fluid is pushed down the pipe from the master cylinder, this in turn forces the piston in the actuator cylinder outward.

As the actuator cylinder moves forward, it forces the release bearing to disengage the clutch pressure plate from the clutch disc.

On the return stroke (pedal released), the plunger moves back as a result of the return pressure of the clutch.

Fluid returns to the master cylinder and the final movement of the plunger opens the port to the fluid reservoir, allowing an unrestricted flow between system and reservoir….

Close Quote. There you have if from the source.

Summary: Clutch fluid circulates between the master and actuator (slave).

Note: The volume of fluid in the entire system is a very few ounces. One ounce is in the C6 (two ounces in the C5) master cylinder reservoir until diminished as you depress the pedal and create the flow described above.

Ranger
I don't need a lecture from you on source documents or technical data, it's what I do for a living, and it's not related to inconsequential car hobby stuff. I have a corvette service manual also and am perfectly capable of reading it without direction from your or any other forum member.

I've read your opinions, but I'm having a hard time picturing it, I also know how the freaking clutch works. I'm trying to be respectful because you have expended an enormous amount of energy on diagnosing this problem. I suggest you do the same and not patronize me with coments like that. I'm not the average lazy SOB that takes his CORVETTE down to the incompetent bufoons at the local oil and lube for routine maintenace a 10 year old boy could do with some tools, motivation and a clue.

If you want to be the supreme allied commander of the corvette clutch, go ahead, I won't challenge you for the honor.

Last edited by ipuig; 09-24-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:15 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't need a lecture from you on source documents or technical data, it's what I do for a living, and it's not related to inconsequential car hobby stuff.

I've read your opinions, but having a hard time picturing it. I also know how the freaking clutch works. I'm trying to be respectful because you have expended an enormous amount of energy on diagnosing this problem. I suggest you do the same and not patronize me with coments like that. I'm not the average lazy SOB that takes his CORVETTE down to the incompetent bufoons at the local oil and lube for routine maintenace a 10 year old boy could do with some tools, motivation and a clue.

If you want to be the supreme allied commander of the corvette clutch, go ahead, I won't challenge you for the honor.
That explanation I deleted was part on my clutch care sticky. It was already prepared. I meant no offense.

A lot has been learned and documented about the origins for clutch issues over the past 12 months. Not everyone is receptive to the research findings. Fortunately, thousands of CF members are receptive and are doing routine maintenance to their clutch fluid and running clutches properly sized to their FWTQ.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 09-24-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:31 AM
ipuig
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

That explanation I deleted was part on my clutch care sticky. It was already prepared. I meant no offense.

A lot has been learned and documented about the origins for clutch issues over the past 12 months. Not everyone is receptive to the research findings. Fortunately, thousands of CF members are receptive and are doing routine maintenance to their clutch fluid and running clutches properly sized to their FWTQ.

Ranger

No offense taken, thanks for the clarification.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch sticking to floor under hard acceleration????

Old 09-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

As far as the clutch is concerned, I told you several months ago that I thought the increased clamping force at the higher RPM ranges is what pushes the slave cylinder actuator back when it gets weak due to leak-by at the concentric piston.
So then most people who bolt in a stouter clutch should experience the problem even worse?

I mean, if the slave (or any hydraulic seal in the system) is the culprit due to internal fluid bypassing, and can't even actuate the weaksauce stock pressure plate, it becomes quite difficult to envision how it can perform flawlessly with a 2500, 2700, or 2900# aftermarket pressure plate. (which, not surprising to me, successful results are most often reported by users who upgraded the pressure plate).

Of course, one will say 99% of folks who upgraded their clutches also put in a fresh slave at the same time, thus leaving no definitive answer as to root cause.
But then there are the many folks like Chuckster who upgraded EVERYTHING hydraulic, found absolutely no relief, then changed only the clutch, and problem solved.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:15 PM
ipuig
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

So then most people who bolt in a stouter clutch should experience the problem even worse?

I mean, if the slave (or any hydraulic seal in the system) is the culprit due to internal fluid bypassing, and can't even actuate the weaksauce stock pressure plate, it becomes quite difficult to envision how it can perform flawlessly with a 2500, 2700, or 2900# aftermarket pressure plate. (which, not surprising to me, successful results are most often reported by users who upgraded the pressure plate).

Of course, one will say 99% of folks who upgraded their clutches also put in a fresh slave at the same time, thus leaving no definitive answer as to root cause.
But then there are the many folks like Chuckster who upgraded EVERYTHING hydraulic, found absolutely no relief, then changed only the clutch, and problem solved.

I was able to diagnose the problem with my clutch and repair it with stock parts and quite frankly that is all that interest me. The power level before and after the clutch was replaced is essentially the same (within 15 RWHP) and it never exceeded the design limitations of the clutch. There was no slippage, lack of clamping force or any other problem other that the pedal hanging up during high RPM shifts.

There are far too many varibles to diagnose this problem to a common denominator over such a wide variety of failures, driving styles, mechanical aptitudes, and plain old honesty in posting what actually happened in my opinion.

I understand the desire to make the LUK pressure plate the fall guy when and individual just spent a lot of money on an aftermanket GUCCI clutch. I'd also like to point out that there are many individuals on this forum with aftermarket clutches experiencing the same problems.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

I understand the desire to make the LUK pressure plate the fall guy when and individual just spent a lot of money on an aftermanket GUCCI clutch. I'd also like to point out that there are many individuals on this forum with aftermarket clutches experiencing the same problems.
I don't think anyone desires the pressure plate in particular to be the "problem component", but in modified applications, it sure does seem to be the common denominator. So much so, the link between the two becomes strikingly obvious to those open to consideration of anything outside of fluid color.

As for aftermarket clutches...do keep in mind many continue to employ the use of the LuK pressure plate. Not surprising to me the problem usually tags along with.

Quick Reply: Clutch sticking to floor under hard acceleration????