C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch sticking to floor under hard acceleration????

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:30 PM
260B4U
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
I don't think anyone desires the pressure plate in particular to be the "problem component", but in modified applications, it sure does seem to be the common denominator. So much so, the link between the two becomes strikingly obvious to those open to consideration of anything outside of fluid color.

As for aftermarket clutches...do keep in mind many continue to employ the use of the LuK pressure plate. Not surprising to me the problem usually tags along with.

is their a list of clutches that dont use the luk pressure plate ???
Old 09-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 260B4U
is their a list of clutches that dont use the luk pressure plate ???
I've made 700+ passes at the drag strip running LUK clutches without pedal issues. We have more than 100 Corvettes in our club running stock LUK clutches without any incidence of pedal issues for the past five years or so. All of us do routine maintenance on the clutch fluid. Club members with big HP have properly sized clutches. They too do fluid maint and have no pedal issues.

Moral is have a clutch that's properly sized to your power level and keep the fluid clean.

Ranger
Old 09-25-2009, 10:03 PM
YeloFevr
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

So, I'll be replacing my stock clutch before next year. I've been experiencing sticky pedal even with crystal clear fluid. Do I need to replace the master cylinder or actuator while we're changing the clutch??
Old 09-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by YeloFevr
So, I'll be replacing my stock clutch before next year. I've been experiencing sticky pedal even with crystal clear fluid. Do I need to replace the master cylinder or actuator while we're changing the clutch??
12.00 in an LS1 with minor mods indicates you are driving the car well and aggressively.

If you decide to replace the clutch, you want to start fresh with all new clutch and hydraulic parts.

Until that's done, so long as you're having pedal issue, suggest avoiding high-rpm shifts so as to prevent tranny consequences.

Ranger
Old 09-26-2009, 11:08 AM
96mogt
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow this post is still going? LOL Ive since long ago put in a new Spec clutch and slave cylinder and no worries at all!!
Old 10-21-2018, 08:10 AM
Matthew Conroy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!!

Originally Posted by 96mogt
Hey everyone. I was driving the car yesterday and under hard acceleration from 3rd to 4th my clutch pedal stuck. It was still able to disengaged but i had to put my foot underneath the pedal and it literally poped back up. Has anyone ever come across this before?? Any helpful info would be great. I poped it back out and it worked fine. Just under hard accelerations would it do this. Thanks. Jay

i have ave the exact same problem with my STI. What was the problem and the fix.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:02 AM
Old School
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Conroy

i have ave the exact same problem with my STI. What was the problem and the fix.
He answers that in the post directly above yours.
I have a question - Why do people join this forum and then dig up threads from 9 years ago? It seems like a thing. And you don't even have a Corvette
Old 10-23-2018, 12:26 AM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
If your clutch fluid is clean and those symptoms are present, your master cylinder likely has an internal leak. Suggest you replace it with most current part for your VIN. Since you do your own wrenching, the cost is likely about $150 and two hours labor, maybe less.
I had clean fluid - just a tiny wisp of black when I modified-Ranger-methoded the clutch master cylinder. I cycled a bottle of Motul 600 through the master and the hydraulic line by stuffing a thin plastic tune through it to change as much of the fluid as possible. Made no difference, still had the pedal sticking to the floor.

Now with a new clutch (RPS carbon twin), and new slave, and the same master cylinder, the pedal no longer sticks to the floor.

Seems like for every theory there's someone who has a counterexample, so I assume it's got to be a combination of factors, where if two or three things go wrong, you have the problem, and fixing one of them is often enough to make the problem go away - depending on what the other contributing factors were in each specific case.

I tried to catalog all of the suspects, and experiences that run counter to a variety of theories:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...the-floor.html

All I know for sure is that it's complicated.

Quick Reply: Clutch sticking to floor under hard acceleration????