C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts for LS6 Intake Swap on to a LS1 Block

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:20 PM
QuickKid
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts for LS6 Intake Swap on to a LS1 Block

I recently found a good price on a LS6 intake manifold. I would like to swap it onto my '98 LS1 engine. Are there any parts beside the manifold that I need for the swap?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I would carefully inspect the re-usable intake manifold gaskets and make sure they are in good shape. If not, get new intake port seals.

Other than that,,,your going to need to purchase a 2001 + coolant cross over block off plugs and a 2001+ front coolant cross over pipe.

If you want to retain the 97-98 style coolant crossover pipe, you will need to trim off some of the webbing on the BOTTOM of the intake to allow the small coolant pipe that runs from the front to the back of the engine under your old manifold to fit under the new one. I recommend trimming the manifold. Its prettu easy and doesnt hurt the manifold.

Put some white paint on the coolant pipe and press the LS6 manifold down firmly on to the engine. The white paint will transfer to the webbing and trim a 1/8" on either side of the paint mark.

BC
Old 05-12-2009, 05:20 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I would carefully inspect the re-usable intake manifold gaskets and make sure they are in good shape. If not, get new intake port seals.

Other than that,,,your going to need to purchase a 2001 + coolant cross over block off plugs and a 2001+ front coolant cross over pipe.

If you want to retain the 97-98 style coolant crossover pipe, you will need to trim off some of the webbing on the BOTTOM of the intake to allow the small coolant pipe that runs from the front to the back of the engine under your old manifold to fit under the new one. I recommend trimming the manifold. Its prettu easy and doesnt hurt the manifold.

Put some white paint on the coolant pipe and press the LS6 manifold down firmly on to the engine. The white paint will transfer to the webbing and trim a 1/8" on either side of the paint mark.

BC

I love your thorough Answers..!!!!
Old 05-12-2009, 05:54 PM
C5ZLind
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this swap and i would suggest go ahead and change the seals i picked some up for around 25$ for the seals and new foam pads..It would suck to have to remove the intake to replace seals.
Keith
Old 05-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Daddyrama31
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

replace your intake gaskets, you can get them at any auto parts store for about 25 bucks. I would remove the coolant pipe and replace with the new LS6 cross over tube. It's an easy switch. Leaving that tube underneath has been known to crack the intake. If you are going to do it, do it right. GM part# 1262544 54 bucks, and two plugs to plug off the rear GM Part# 12602540, 8 bucks each. You will not regret the switch!

Last edited by Daddyrama31; 05-12-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:47 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

BC
Use white shoe polish. Wipes right off after. Paint not so much.

Get notified of new replies

To Parts for LS6 Intake Swap on to a LS1 Block

Quick Reply: Parts for LS6 Intake Swap on to a LS1 Block