C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking rear brakes

Old 05-23-2011, 02:44 PM
c5-ch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking rear brakes

Dear all

I own a C5 corvette from the year 1998 and it was in the garage for 6 months. Before I put the car into the garage I changed all my four rotors (mounted GM corvette rotors) and now 6 months later I have a strange noise at the rear brakes.

Whenever I push down the brake pedal, independent of whether the engine is on or not, it makes a strange creaking noise at the rear brakes. This creaking noise is reproducable and occurs when I push the pedal and when I release it as well. And the noise is only at the rear brakes.

The brakes and also the handbrake work well when driving and they don't overheat. It also doesn't go away when driving for a while - just no change. It sounds as a old rusty spring would be pushed together and released.

I already checked the caliper and it works fine, similarly I checked the cylinder in the brakes, i.e. pushed it back and forth (by pushing the brake pedal). Since I couldn't solve this problem I went to see a dealer and he was completely clueless.

I would be very grateful for any help and advice so that I can solve this problem. Thanks a lot for your kind support.

Best regards,
C5 fan from Switzerland
Old 05-29-2011, 06:42 PM
c5-ch
Intermediate

Dear all

Doesn't anybody have an idea what the reasons for the creaking noise could be?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
C5-CH
Old 05-30-2011, 09:52 AM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lubricate the pins and that should allow the calipers to move more freely. While you have the calipers off have a look at the condition of the other parts.

The creaking is most likely the pins aren't lubricated properly so they are slow to press in and slow to release.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:32 PM
c5-ch
Intermediate

Hi

Thanks for your hint. I did lubricate the pins with cupper grease and now they move freely. Unfortunately this didn't make any change - exactly the same as before.

I checked the caliper and that's definitely not the problem, i.e. I took off the caliper and put a wood between the calipers in order to check whether the noise comes from the brake piston.

One idea that came to my mind was whether it could be that the pads are not totally flat and thus exert a side pressure on the rotors generating this noise. Could this be possible or not?

Thanks for your feedback and your ideas.

Cheers,
C5-ch

Get notified of new replies

To Creaking rear brakes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Creaking rear brakes