C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle body is least expensive HP gainer

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Speedvanish
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle body is least expensive HP gainer

It appears that a throttle body addition is the cheapest way to add HP to a corvette. I was advised by Anti Venom garage in Florida that a cool air intake will do very little and they are expensive compared to a Vmax modified throttle body. Add LT headers and x-pipe and exhaust, and you have a package that could approach 400 Hp or there abouts.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:27 PM
LightFighter_GXP
Pro

I don't think you're going to see that much... with just a TB..
Old 06-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Speedvanish
Instructor

Originally Posted by LightFighter_GXP
I don't think you're going to see that much... with just a TB..
The TB coupled with the headers, H pipe and indy exhaust would increase the hp substatially, I think.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

If you do a search on here I think you'll find most agree throttle body modifications are worth little to no hp gains, but do improve throttle response appreciably. Cat back exhausts are done for sound and also show little to no hp gain. Headers, high flow cats and X pipe would probably be worth 20 to 30 hp. A good CAI would be a good addition to headers (more air in, more air out, more power), but exact gains are hard to quantify on a dyno because they are so dependent on driving conditions.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

HOLY CRAP! Your gullable!

If TB porting made a much of a difference,,,,dont you think GM would have incorporated it into the the C5???

Lets look at the STOCK HP of a regular C5 coupe or Vert. There have been thousands of dynos of totaly STOCK C5 and they avarage around 320-330 RWHP. Some a little more some a little less.

The C5 ZO6 STOCK, gets around 350-360 RWHP.

I added the following MODS to my stock 02 ZO6 and had a PROFESSIONAL TUNE done:

VARARAM VB2
Ported TB
Stainless Works LT SS system. 1 3/4" primary LT headers, Random Tech high flow CATS, 3" mid pipe, 3" X pipe, 3" muffler system

Actual Dyno Result = 387 RWHP @ 375 RWTQ

Nominal HP gains for these componets on a ZO6: =

LT Headers and exhaust system = 15-20 HP
Ported TB = 5 HP with better Throttle Response
Tune = 10-12 HP

If you added the Vmax modified throttle body. LT headers and x-pipe and exhaust, " TO A STOCK C5 " and you have a package that could approach

320-330 RWHP
+ 15-25 HP
-------------------
335 350 RWHP ,,,,,,,,,,on a GOOD DAY,,,,if your stock tune doesnt go to hell

So,,,that shop sells that VMAX TB ,,,,RIGHT?????

Please dont fall for the bolt on hype fed to you by the people who sell the stuff. All of this bolt on MOD HP result stuff is VERY WELL documented on this forum.

I just spent megga-dollars and installed heads, cam and a ported FAST 90/ported 90mm TB and a professional tune and managed to get to 450 RWHP I did all the works my self plus the porting so, there wasnt any labor cost involved. All that only netted 63 more HP.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

wont see much if any on a TB. Start with a good airbox and a set of headers and a tune and you will see a gain of 35-40 hp.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:37 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedvanish
The TB coupled with the headers, H pipe and indy exhaust would increase the hp substatially, I think.
plus the biggest part is the DYNO TUNE to get it all to work together.

The dyno tune is the SINGLE biggest HP increaser. Not as sexy as Long Tube Headers and or other parts.

the DYNO tune is the KEY to performance
Old 06-09-2009, 03:43 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
plus the biggest part is the DYNO TUNE to get it all to work together.

The dyno tune is the SINGLE biggest HP increaser. Not as sexy as Long Tube Headers and or other parts.

the DYNO tune is the KEY to performance
Old 06-09-2009, 03:55 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Darn, I just ordered a "Turbinator" from that same shop...
Old 06-09-2009, 04:11 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Thee best power adder hands down on a pure stock motor is a:

SuperCharger! gains are well worth the money spent, look @ A&A for a complete smog legal set-up and you'll see 450-480 RWHP on a stock motor, and that includes stock exhaust manifolds and cats w/ aftermarket cat back mufflers -

Add headers, Hi-Flow Cats, x-pipe coupled to a good catback exhaust you'll see 500 RWHP - I just seen a member with a stock (everything stock) bolt on Andy's kit and he layed down 510 RWHP with a 3.6" Pulley on a MN6 '01 Coupe!

Don't waste your money on the claims of the TB, but be assured it will be a heck of alot crisper in throttle response and also remember you will need to have the AIR DEMAND recalibrated for start up so it doesn't rev real high and then come down to regular idle! Ask the shop about this

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-09-2009, 07:18 PM
1998whitecoupe-a4
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madmatt9471

SuperCharger! gains are well worth the money spent, look @ A&A for a complete smog legal set-up and you'll see 450-480 RWHP on a stock motor, and that includes stock exhaust manifolds and cats w/ aftermarket cat back mufflers -

Add headers, Hi-Flow Cats, x-pipe coupled to a good catback exhaust you'll see 500 RWHP - I just seen a member with a stock (everything stock) bolt on Andy's kit and he layed down 510 RWHP with a 3.6" Pulley on a MN6 '01 Coupe!

Don't waste your money on the claims of the TB, but be assured it will be a heck of alot crisper in throttle response and also remember you will need to have the AIR DEMAND recalibrated for start up so it doesn't rev real high and then come down to regular idle! Ask the shop about this

Thanks,Matt

Yup, if I could do it all over again, I would have gone with the SC and be done with it, dam bolt ons
Old 06-09-2009, 08:36 PM
jordanfd
Racer

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
Darn, I just ordered a "Turbinator" from that same shop...
Put two together and double the power. Better than a TT.Frank
Old 06-10-2009, 12:08 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Thanks,Matt

I agree with everything except that the A&A kit is NOT a "smog legal set-up"...only the actual supercharger unit has an EO#. Most smog shops would never know that though.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:16 AM
blue63cpe
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You get a whole set of different problems with SC, engine longevity for one. With out forged pistons or the correct rings the engine will wear fast and a head gasket becomes a wear item. I would feel a whole lot better with a iron block for SC. Once again there is a reason the ZR1's engine cost 20K over the counter.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:57 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
I agree with everything except that the A&A kit is NOT a "smog legal set-up"...only the actual supercharger unit has an EO#. Most smog shops would never know that though.
Okay you might want to re-check the part number on the A&A kits "NOW" look at the number on Votech's site - I just looked into this the other day for my friends C6 and they have the EO and CARB #'s

Here is the linkand what it says check out the bottom )
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=102

I do accept appologies in the form of PAYPAL

1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvette C5 5.7L LS1 Supercharging Systems

View larger image
Power Torque
Stock 345 HP 350 lb/ft
Vortech 494 HP* 473 lb/ft*
Increase your C5's horsepower from 345 to 494 and torque from 350 lb./ft. to 473 lb./ft.*
Quality Features:

Vortech gear driven supercharger with SQ technology provides nearly silent operation and unmatched reliability
Technologically advanced, high-efficiency impeller and housing design developed in Vortech's supercharger test cell
Fuel management upgrade includes high-capacity fuel injectors, and a hand-held ECM re-programmer
Integrated air/water, dual-pass charge cooler configuration allows for additional horsepower gains and features maintenance-free design
Oil feed and oil drain assemblies deliver the best possible lubrication and cooling for the supercharger, even under sustained boost conditions
Retains the stock factory cooling components for OE integrity and the system fits under the stock hood
Inlet and discharge duct connections utilize heat resistant silicon sleeves and premium quality stainless steel clamps
OEM-type cast aluminum mounting bracket for "factory installed" appearance and rigidity
High-flow bypass valve provides surge-free compressor operation
Warranty Information
3-Year Supercharger Limited Warranty
Included with engine-oil-fed superchargers if purchased with a complete street-legal system. Not available with tuner kits. Available with V-3 systems for an additional $50.00. More information (PDF) .
3-Year/36,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty
Available with complete street legal systems sold and installed by a Vortech Top-Tier Installer. Not available with tuner kits. More information .
Please Note
*Supercharged horsepower and torque data shown is a calculated estimate based on percentage increases from actual rear wheel hp/tq measurements.
50-State Smog Legal
Complete systems are smog legal per California Air Resources Board (CARB).

CARB EO # D-213-27

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by blue63cpe
You get a whole set of different problems with SC, engine longevity for one. With out forged pistons or the correct rings the engine will wear fast and a head gasket becomes a wear item. I would feel a whole lot better with a iron block for SC. Once again there is a reason the ZR1's engine cost 20K over the counter.
There are tons of people running around with superchargers on stock LS engines. Most of these are driven for years without ever putting a wrench on anything but the oil drain plug, along with some kind of belt change schedule. I change my belt about once per year... maybe a 15 minute job.

Sure, any time you increase power, whatever the method, there is increased stress on parts. But forced induction is probably the least stressful and most reliable way to obtain a major increase in power, and also maintains the best driveability.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Pwrtrip75
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can remove all of the material in front of the throttle blade. It doesnt change how much air flows through the blade opening.

Get notified of new replies

To throttle body is least expensive HP gainer

Old 06-10-2009, 08:48 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwrtrip75
You can remove all of the material in front of the throttle blade. It doesnt change how much air flows through the blade opening.
It does if there were restrictions limiting the amount of airflow to less than maximum capacity of the the throttle body opening prior to removal of said restriction(s)
Old 06-10-2009, 09:05 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jovette
It does if there were restrictions limiting the amount of airflow to less than maximum capacity of the the throttle body opening prior to removal of said restriction(s)
that is called Porting. Ported TBs do make a bit of a difference.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:22 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Okay you might want to re-check the part number on the A&A kits "NOW" look at the number on Votech's site - I just looked into this the other day for my friends C6 and they have the EO and CARB #'s

Here is the linkand what it says check out the bottom )
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=102

I do accept appologies in the form of PAYPAL

1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvette C5 5.7L LS1 Supercharging Systems

View larger image
Power Torque
Stock 345 HP 350 lb/ft
Vortech 494 HP* 473 lb/ft*
Increase your C5's horsepower from 345 to 494 and torque from 350 lb./ft. to 473 lb./ft.*
Quality Features:

Vortech gear driven supercharger with SQ technology provides nearly silent operation and unmatched reliability
Technologically advanced, high-efficiency impeller and housing design developed in Vortech's supercharger test cell
Fuel management upgrade includes high-capacity fuel injectors, and a hand-held ECM re-programmer
Integrated air/water, dual-pass charge cooler configuration allows for additional horsepower gains and features maintenance-free design
Oil feed and oil drain assemblies deliver the best possible lubrication and cooling for the supercharger, even under sustained boost conditions
Retains the stock factory cooling components for OE integrity and the system fits under the stock hood
Inlet and discharge duct connections utilize heat resistant silicon sleeves and premium quality stainless steel clamps
OEM-type cast aluminum mounting bracket for "factory installed" appearance and rigidity
High-flow bypass valve provides surge-free compressor operation
Warranty Information
3-Year Supercharger Limited Warranty
Included with engine-oil-fed superchargers if purchased with a complete street-legal system. Not available with tuner kits. Available with V-3 systems for an additional $50.00. More information (PDF) .
3-Year/36,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty
Available with complete street legal systems sold and installed by a Vortech Top-Tier Installer. Not available with tuner kits. More information .
Please Note
*Supercharged horsepower and torque data shown is a calculated estimate based on percentage increases from actual rear wheel hp/tq measurements.
50-State Smog Legal
Complete systems are smog legal per California Air Resources Board (CARB).

CARB EO # D-213-27

Thanks,Matt
Vortech's kit is smog legal...A&A's kit is NOT the Vortech kit. If you were to match them part for part, side by side, they are not the same kit. Andy (A&A) has not submitted his kit to the California Air Resources Board (CARB) for testing, therefore his kit is NOT smog legal. The actual supercharger that he uses for his kit has the CARB EO# on it though, so most smog techs will never know the kit isn't actually 50 state legal. Do you follow me now? If not; give Andy a call, and he'll explain it to you.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 06-10-2009 at 11:11 PM.

Quick Reply: throttle body is least expensive HP gainer