C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No woodruff key on the stock crank pulley/balancer ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:19 PM
DansVette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default No woodruff key on the stock crank pulley/balancer ?

So I'm in the middle of replacing my crank pulley (and by the way I sincerely regret ever starting this job, what a friggin nightmare !!!!!)
Anyway, I'm replacing it with an underdrive pulley which comes with a slot for a woodruff key that I was expecting to find after removing the old pulley.
Anyway, the stock pulley has nothing, the surface is smooth, what gives here, I've never ran across this on a crank before.
The new pulley has timing marks of course, so without the woodruff key how on earth are the marks lined up ?
Old 06-20-2009, 07:28 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Thats correct. You will want to PIN your new balancer. The woddruff key is only good if you have an aftermarket crankshaft. Mine has TWO pins...

Name:  MVC-911S.jpg
Views: 6487
Size:  45.6 KB

You will see one other place where it used to be pinned with on OEM balancer.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:33 PM
DansVette
Racer

WHAT ? Please tell me your kidding me ?!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean instead of simply having a key, you have to pin it yourself ? !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2009, 07:37 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Yes, you MUST PIN it if you have a supercharger, turbo-charger, or NOS. Otherwise, the standard press fit will hold ok.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:41 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

You don't "have" to pin it, but while its off it is a good idea. Since your new pulley has a keyway milled in it (Powerbond or ATI?), you can use the ATI kit to pin it and it will be much easier to remove/install later if you need to. The ATI kit installs the pin perpendicular to the crank snout. You can see where mine is drilled in the photo, a pin goes in the hole when installing the pulley.

Name:  Cloyes_mark_1.jpg
Views: 8577
Size:  131.4 KB
Old 06-20-2009, 07:54 PM
DansVette
Racer

I am speechless right now, I am so mad I can barely think. I have never, NEVER seen anything like this. Why in God's name didn't they simply install a key like every other vehicle that has ever been created in the history of automobiles has ? They actually expect the person to drill some kind of holes at the end of the shaft in order to install this ? What about a new stock pulley, how on earth do the marks get properly lined up ?
Old 06-20-2009, 07:55 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DansVette
WHAT ? Please tell me your kidding me ?!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean instead of simply having a key, you have to pin it yourself ? !!!!!!!!!!!
You GOT IT! Stupid design in my opinion.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:57 PM
DansVette
Racer

By the way, the pulley is an SLP.
http://www.lmperformance.com/6628/4.html
Old 06-20-2009, 07:59 PM
DansVette
Racer

The instructions by the way, just says to bolt the pulley on and torque, doesn't say anything about the key slot, or the fact that your car doesn't have the key to begin with.
Absolutely beyond belief.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:04 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I am speechless right now, I am so mad I can barely think. I have never, NEVER seen anything like this. Why in God's name didn't they simply install a key like every other vehicle that has ever been created in the history of automobiles has ? They actually expect the person to drill some kind of holes at the end of the shaft in order to install this ? What about a new stock pulley, how on earth do the marks get properly lined up ?
Marks? What marks? Don't need or use marks.

As said earlier, you don't "need" to drill anything to install your pulley or a stocker for that matter. If you hang a hair dryer or huffer on however, it is highly recommended to drill.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:27 PM
DansVette
Racer

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Marks? What marks? Don't need or use marks.

As said earlier, you don't "need" to drill anything to install your pulley or a stocker for that matter. If you hang a hair dryer or huffer on however, it is highly recommended to drill.
There are timing marks on my new pulley, so I assumed the pulley needed to line up with something.
What am I missing ?
Old 06-20-2009, 08:33 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

There are timing marks on my new pulley, so I assumed the pulley needed to line up with something.
What am I missing ?
It just provides the option. My ATI has the timing marks, which I aligned as best I could by eye when I installed and pinned the crank. As for the stocker, no keyway in the hub. It is an interference fit. Also, don't use a bolt to pull it on, if you don't have the correct tool or a reasonable facsimile you will damage the threads. Here is the tool I made for installation. There are several steps involved as well if you are using a "new" stock bolt (old one shouldn't be used).

Old 06-20-2009, 08:36 PM
DansVette
Racer

So to get the timing marks lined up what would be the procedure ? Find TDC, then install it according to the correct timing, i.e. 5 degrees BTDC or whatever it should be at ?
Old 06-20-2009, 08:52 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Why do you need the timing marks?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Why do you need the timing marks?
I dunno, but you can bet he's gonna be even more pissed to find out there is no distributor to turn.
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (08-08-2018)
Old 06-20-2009, 10:13 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

So to get the timing marks lined up what would be the procedure ? Find TDC, then install it according to the correct timing, i.e. 5 degrees BTDC or whatever it should be at ?
Again, the marks are not needed. Timing is not referenced there. The PCM determines engine timing.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:58 PM
sliderhd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the thread size for the installer thingy??

Get notified of new replies

To No woodruff key on the stock crank pulley/balancer ?

Old 06-20-2009, 11:58 PM
DansVette
Racer

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
I dunno, but you can bet he's gonna be even more pissed to find out there is no distributor to turn.
Well before you guys make fun of me, I realize there is no distributor, but isn't there a some sort of crank angle sensor system that still requires timing markings ?
Old 06-21-2009, 12:00 AM
DansVette
Racer

Originally Posted by vettenuts
It just provides the option. My ATI has the timing marks, which I aligned as best I could by eye when I installed and pinned the crank. As for the stocker, no keyway in the hub. It is an interference fit. Also, don't use a bolt to pull it on, if you don't have the correct tool or a reasonable facsimile you will damage the threads. Here is the tool I made for installation. There are several steps involved as well if you are using a "new" stock bolt (old one shouldn't be used).

In fact, isn't there a crank pulley installer that sometimes is recommended ?
Old 06-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Well before you guys make fun of me, I realize there is no distributor, but isn't there a some sort of crank angle sensor system that still requires timing markings ?
No.

The PCM reads crank and cam position from sensors, yes.

There is zero need for any external pulley markings though, because there is not a thing you can do to adjust spark timing from within the engine bay.

If you have a laptop and some tuning software, you can adjust the values within the half-dozen or so timing tables within the PCM logic...but the PCM is always in direct control of firing the plugs.

Quick Reply: No woodruff key on the stock crank pulley/balancer ?