C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Fix Exterior Mirrors w/ Broken Swivels

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Bill D
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exboxexpert, thanks for great clever method that does not require wire cutting yet appears might allow mirrors to give a little if some yahoo bumps in parking lot.

I'm going to use your method on my 98 this weekend. I've had both mirrors glued with black silicon adhesive 6-7 yrs. Problem with gluing method is annoying / embarrassing rattle when closing doors. Springs must be flopping around.

Best Regards
Bill D.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:46 PM
xboxexpert
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You'll like the outcome. Since posting this I've had 0 problems with the mirror and I didnt even put the nut on the end like I had wanted to. I'll add it later if I end up having a problem in the future.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Bill D
Heel & Toe

Well I was unsuccessful at getting this method to work. I could only get 3 of 4 inverted wing nut tips positioned securely on the washer. Despite being very careful, my wiring harness was getting pinched too tightly as I wrestled with it. Particularly when rotating. I gave up after 1.5 hrs and considerable abuse to my wiring harness insulation. I became concerned, if I actually succeeded, the repair would not last or short would develop. Plus had the other side to do as well.

My primary objective was get rid of all door rattles. As mentioned previously, I've lived with glued method for many years no problem (Permitex Black Silicon Adhesive Sealant).

I settled on just cutting the wires and tossed the spring and washer. Plus drilled oversized hole in base and inserted self taping screw up into housing. Finally, no more annoying door rattles. Hopefully, the html pic will post too as my first attempt.

[IMG]outbind://2/cid:599140500@25012010-04A0[/IMG]
Old 02-13-2010, 02:03 PM
tonyda1st
Instructor

great idea.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Crackerjack
Instructor

Originally Posted by 98Artic
To thetaxman:

Seems to me that your fix leaves you with the same weakness of the original. GM obviously knew they had an engineering nightmare here and they did nothing as a coroporation to fix the problem through properly reengineering this horrible design. They kept turning out the same mess for years on end, and we wonder why GM is in trouble? If this had been Toyota, they would have recognized the problem and had it fixed within two years. Same with the rear hand brake. An absolute atrocious, unexcusable, design. I get angry just thinking about it.
Still think Toyota would have recognized the problem or done anything about it???
Old 04-21-2010, 09:38 AM
BigRobDsp
Instructor

Default Just Completed

I purchased my first vette a few weeks ago and completed my first fix last night. I have mirrors that have been glued by the previous owner. The glue (epoxy/ whatever) has failed on the drivers side. I bought the hardware to preform this fix, the one described on 97vette.com and one of my own making using a threaded fan cilinder. I wanted to look at all the guts of the mirror before figuring out which one I was going to do. After taking it all apart I decided that this one would be the most succesful. It was really easy and I belive it to be a permanant fix. I spent more time chipping of the old epoxy (which came off pretty cleanly by the way) than I did installing the new retaining bolts. Didnt need to cut any wires and the mirror holds tight.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Mark-44
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by xboxexpert
You'll like the outcome. Since posting this I've had 0 problems with the mirror and I didnt even put the nut on the end like I had wanted to. I'll add it later if I end up having a problem in the future.
Just completed the "Wing Nut" fix on my '97 and everything works: adjustment controls, heat element, and it swivels without cutting any wires or use of a hacksaw.

The hardest part was cleaning the black electricians tape residue from the arctic white mirror--that quick fix "ghetto" look is gone. Thanks again!
Old 07-31-2017, 05:10 PM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

My '98 driver's side mirror is glued to the mount. I can't fold it or move it any way.
Does anyone sell a new one already painted? Or must I buy a complete mirror then have it painted? Everything works as far as heat and positioning.

Last edited by bc6152; 07-31-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Quick Reply: How to Fix Exterior Mirrors w/ Broken Swivels