C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Question (I did search)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 04:57 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Default Lowering Question (I did search)

I tried to lower my car on stock bolts. I did not cut any bushings. The back is noticeably lower how ever the front looks the same. So I want to go lower and have searched for a "how to" on lowering with stock bolts and there are just so many threads that aren't very clear on the EASIEST way to drop the car. So could someone please provide me with a link to a how to, or provide step by step instructions on the simplest way to lower the car. Whats the easiest way to remove the front bolts?
Old 06-28-2009, 05:17 PM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by n8dogg
I tried to lower my car on stock bolts. I did not cut any bushings. The back is noticeably lower how ever the front looks the same. So I want to go lower and have searched for a "how to" on lowering with stock bolts and there are just so many threads that aren't very clear on the EASIEST way to drop the car. So could someone please provide me with a link to a how to, or provide step by step instructions on the simplest way to lower the car. Whats the easiest way to remove the front bolts?
Try your search again because I think there are some really good picture instructionals.

I have lowered all of the four C5's I've owned front and rear myself...

You should be able to get about .75 inch on the front with the bolts in...

It is reversed on the front, did you tighten the bolts in the front with the 10mm (from memory) so the bushing is tight with the leaf spring?? You want the lower part of the bolt closer to the lower A of the suspension...
Old 06-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Thickraybans
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Linky http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/hobbi...5_Lowering.htm
Old 06-28-2009, 05:44 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This is the procedure I used to take out the stock front bushings and in
stall after market adjusters w/out bushings. http://www.corvetteforum.cc/techtips...D=90&TopicID=1 I can't get this to come up,Sorry.

Last edited by bumble-z; 06-28-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:02 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by UniqueDoug
Try your search again because I think there are some really good picture instructionals.

I have lowered all of the four C5's I've owned front and rear myself...

You should be able to get about .75 inch on the front with the bolts in...

It is reversed on the front, did you tighten the bolts in the front with the 10mm (from memory) so the bushing is tight with the leaf spring?? You want the lower part of the bolt closer to the lower A of the suspension...
What I did was with the car in the air I jacked the spring up a little and used a ratcheting 10mm wrench and turned it left (counterclockwise) until it stopped. It looks like I did nothing.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:24 PM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by n8dogg
What I did was with the car in the air I jacked the spring up a little and used a ratcheting 10mm wrench and turned it left (counterclockwise) until it stopped. It looks like I did nothing.
That sounds about right. So, it stopped up against the transverse leaf spring?? Do you remember how much gap was there before you tightened it up? There should be about .75 inch, if you only turned it a few turns then it was already done, or there is a variance from the factory so it may have been lower from the factory...

Nevertheless, if it is turned all the way up to the spring and you want it lower then yes, you will need to pull that bolt out.

If that is what you want to do, then there are instructions here...

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering Question (I did search)

Quick Reply: Lowering Question (I did search)