C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.42 rear end and 2800 stall TC installed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 02:06 PM
OOGreen
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 3.42 rear end and 2800 stall TC installed?

I just had a 3.42 rear end and 2800 stall Torque Converter put into my 00 coupe. I have a hypertech programer and looking for advice on setting shift point adjustment myself, or this something that would be better handled by a professional tuner? The transmition shop said that the VSS would have to be adjusted as well, any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:38 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Old 07-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I also changed mine to a 3:42 w/2800 stall. I also used the HPTuner to enter the new gear ratio. As soon as I did that, the HPTuner handset automatically adjusted the shift points to a more aggressive setting.

A friend of mine then tweaked them (upshift and downshift points) to be even a bit more agressive. He also shortened the shift times to .250 Sec. Otther than changing the new gear ratio with the tuner, I would leave it to a professional. There are a lot of parameters that you can tweak in there. If you don't know what you are changing and why, you can trash your tranny quickly. Unfortunately, I do not have a local copy of that tune.

Hope that helps.

FYI, Chuck @ COW seems pretty proud of thier trans tunes. I think they are about $400 - 500.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Bluefire
I also changed mine to a 3:42 w/2800 stall. I also used the HPTuner to enter the new gear ratio. As soon as I did that, the HPTuner handset automatically adjusted the shift points to a more aggressive setting.

A friend of mine then tweaked them (upshift and downshift points) to be even a bit more agressive. He also shortened the shift times to .250 Sec. Otther than changing the new gear ratio with the tuner, I would leave it to a professional. There are a lot of parameters that you can tweak in there. If you don't know what you are changing and why, you can trash your tranny quickly. Unfortunately, I do not have a local copy of that tune.

Hope that helps.

FYI, Chuck @ COW seems pretty proud of thier trans tunes. I think they are about $400 - 500.
Yeah i would not pay that price ever for a tune that was not a dyno tune.

Complete rip no offense chuck
Old 07-23-2009, 05:35 PM
OOGreen
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input, allready adjusted the shift points and the car seems a lot better, certainly more aggressive. I'll look into the shift times. Again thanks for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To 3.42 rear end and 2800 stall TC installed?

Quick Reply: 3.42 rear end and 2800 stall TC installed?