C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS, TCS, AH, C1243 issues, please enter and give the grave analysis

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:07 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

FYI, tonight I put the old unit back together and re-installed it so I could drive the Vette around while the other unit is in shipping. Unit passed it's startup test both power cycles, but when I checked it with a hard stop, the ABS engaged, then tripped off line just like it used to.

So, cycling the motor, in my case, didn't change anything.

I'll let you know when I get the replacement installed.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike,

This may sound a little crazy. But it doesn't cost anything and could be your problem. Do you run wide wheels? I found that my CCWs would rub if I went lock to lock.

I strated getting the same codes. Thought the worse. I was wrong. I got under the car an I followed the wires from my wheels sensors to the unit and found that my right wheel had rubbed the wires and that there was one spot where the wire would occasionally ground. Replaced those wires and poof... No problems.

I hope this is what you are dealing with.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:10 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by jpl99vert
87 sam, how did you get below the brake lines to get the two insulator nuts off? I cannot even get my hand in that area
I checked that out and wondered the same thing! That’s why I paid someone else $127 to do it, that also included the bleeding.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:01 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Red5
Mike,

This may sound a little crazy. But it doesn't cost anything and could be your problem. Do you run wide wheels? I found that my CCWs would rub if I went lock to lock.
Thanks, but nope; running stock wheels.

We'll see when I get this Ebay ABS unit installed.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-20-2009, 09:03 AM
1badf350
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Thanks, but nope; running stock wheels.

We'll see when I get this Ebay ABS unit installed.

Have a good one,
Mike
Mike did you get this worked out yet?
Old 08-29-2009, 03:48 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Default Final Update

Last night I got the replacement unit (pulled from a wrecked '99) installed. My wife and I did a good manual bleed (tried the pressure bleed but wouldn't push the air through). The brake pedal felt normal, perhaps even better than before, and the shop manual says that an automated bleed is only required if the pedal stays mushy. So I took it out for a test drive and got the system to activate on the front tires. I activated the rear tire solenoids by making the rear step out at an intersection and the AH system engaged.

After all that was done the pedal felt just the same as before, so right now I'm not going to go to the time, effort, and cost of having a Tech 2 bleed performed.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 11-15-2009, 10:27 PM
red92xblue
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Final update" Post-Mortem update would be nicer.

Hello VetteDrmr ! I have a c1243 code on my 1998 Bonnie. I ran into this thread and was impressed by the talent on this forum. I did the same as you. I have checked for good ground connections. I opened the Abs unit and everything looks ok. I even cut the plastic covers off the internal Bosch relays(the contacts looked good) I cycled the pump motor with a jumper wire 15 times for about 3-5 seconds it seems to start and run ok. My thoughts are that the motors amature or brushes must be worn. My Factory service manual says; the unit is not serviceable and will leak if put back together......... fine. But I am curious, if you still have your old part could you dissect it and report back?
Old 11-16-2009, 11:24 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Red92,

Sorry, that unit has been, um, "recycled". Don't know that it matters, though; I don't think you could get the motor disassembled without doing so much damage as to make the repair moot.

Good luck getting yours fixed, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-12-2016, 10:56 AM
fsuforever
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ok I'm Bringing up an old post -

The Fact is anyone of us that own a pre 2001 & has this issue , ur pretty much SOL ! U can bet that if I would have known what my options were on fixing this 1243 , I would have flipped the Bird at the Corvette dealer & I wonder how many c6 s are we gonna see in the next few years thathave these same problems that GM wants to Shut their eye to ??? Better be buying something' besides a GM if u gotta have ABS ! My rant!
Old 03-12-2016, 08:57 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Since this thread has come back from the dead, I'll give an update. I've not had any problems since I replaced mine back in '09, so they're not all bad!

HAGO,
Mike

Quick Reply: ABS, TCS, AH, C1243 issues, please enter and give the grave analysis