C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug wires.......Accel extreme 9000

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:49 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Be sure to use some Dielectric grease on the inside of the boots during install
Old 08-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Fast one
I just received a new set of the GMPP red #12495519 that don't fit my car, $50 shipped.
PayPal sent.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jrprich
Be sure to use some Dielectric grease on the inside of the boots during install
The Magnacor wires came with instructions stating not to use any dielectric silicone grease on the wires. I confirmed with Magnacor & I was told why I shouldn't use grease. Also, the Magnacor wires have a powdered coating inside each boot. For those with OEM wires still on their vehicle, you'll notice that silicone grease was not used on your OEM wires.

Also on the Magnacor generic instructions, it states that when properly installed, you'll hear a 'clicking sound' when the boot is in place. For me, the Magnacor wires fit fine with NGK Irridium plugs (LS6).

Last edited by Cruncher; 08-19-2009 at 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruncher
For those with OEM wires still on their vehicle, you'll notice that silicone grease was not used on your OEM wires.
Not true. My OEM AC Delco wires had silicone grease inside the boots and I am sure they are original and nothing was ever changed. It appears that the factory actually started using it at some point in the model run (maybe 03 and up?).

Last edited by Cybermind; 08-20-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cybermind
Not true. My OEM AC Delco wires had silicone grease inside the boots and I am sure they are original and nothing was ever changed. It appears that the factory actually started using it at some point in the model run (maybe 03 and up?).
Don't know what to tell you. Mine is a 2003 Z06, made in 2/03. None of the boots were greased. On my wife's 2004 Pontiac, none of her OEM boots were greased and the Pontiac dealer did not use any grease when they did her plugs.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cybermind
This is the e-mail that I received from Magnacor when I wanted to know about wires:

Our wires have a powder (a mica powder) inside of the spark plug boots,
> which perform the purpose of helping to stop the boot sticking to the
> spark plug porcelain better than the silicone grease (also it lasts
> longer). If you want use the grease just use a small amount, but you
> will be effectively removing the powder. The silicone grease only helps
> stop the boots sticking to the spark plug, it does not have anything to
> do with the spark plug terminals breaking, which is generally caused by
> removing the wires when they are warm or hot or not pulling straight up
> off the spark plug.
>
> Silicone grease is not a conductor of electricity, so if you use too
> much you will get a poor electical connection.
>
> The wires that come from the factory don't use silicone grease; most factory wires I > have seen only use the same powder that we use.
>
> Magnecor (Michigan, USA)
> Telephone: 248-471-9505
> Fax: 248-471-9506
> WWW: http://www.magnecor.com
Old 08-20-2009, 06:34 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

The Magnacor wires came with instructions stating not to use any dielectric silicone grease on the wires.
Spark plug wires come with instructions?...huh....who knew?
Old 08-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Spark plug wires come with instructions?...huh....who knew?
Sure...like telling you not yo use silcone grease as well as listening for the clicking sound & how to pull off the wire to avoid damage; it was a full page in its entirety. Not everyone is a Mr. Goodwrench.

By the way, I used to get Ultra Red Hot wires on my other vehicles (three different RX-7s); those also came with instructions.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:50 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Sure...like telling you not yo use silcone grease as well as listening for the clicking sound & how to pull off the wire to avoid damage; it was a full page in its entirety. Not everyone is a Mr. Goodwrench.

By the way, I used to get Ultra Red Hot wires on my other vehicles (three different RX-7s); those also came with instructions.
Well, I learn something new everyday. By the way...what is an RX-7?
Old 08-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Well, I learn something new everyday. By the way...what is an RX-7?
It was the vehicle that replaced the Mazda Cosmo, an RX-3.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:12 PM
trueism
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased an Accel capacitor for my 1969 396 Nova. It failed and my car was towed to a Chevy dealer who replaced it. I sent the defective capacitor back to Accel, who denied responsibility and kept the defective capacitor. Conclusion: I for one, would not recommend any Accel products to anyone! Ever.. I've also owned a '66 GTO XS, a '65 375 Fueli, a 70 396 Camaro, and now an LS1.. Never had any problems with any other Manufacturer but Accel.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:59 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

FWIW, I had a pair of GMPP red wires and one fell apart upon removal...necessitating another $60 purchase. I didn't do anything anything rude to the broken unit upon uninstalling - the spark plug clip simply stayed attached to the plug. I used the special grease on the plugs as well, and only about 4k miles on the wires.
I am hoping the spark plug removal tool will prevent this in the future.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:42 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

LMAO!! at the magnacor instructions !!

The best deal on one of the best wires is right here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-anywhere.html

MSD has a double crimp system and is made to be manipulated or pulled off hot or at an angle...LOL , it wont break like the Magnacore will. MSD also recommneds the use of dielectric greae as well as Autometer and few other companies with their underhood electrical connections.

MSD calls it spark gaurd:
Features
•Stops voltage leaks
•Prevents moisture build-up
•Eases boot assembly and removal
•0.5 oz. of Spark Isolation Gel
Old 08-25-2010, 04:33 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

No matter what brand wires you choose,some folks will "Swear by them" while others will "Swear at them".

You can get bad wires in any brand.

I've used MSD,Magnecor,Accel,GM,Taylor,NGK & Moroso over the years and have had good ones AND bad ones from all.

As always,IMO.

\db2
Carolina
Old 08-26-2010, 01:09 PM
rich goepfrich
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KFRC5
I used a spark plug wire removal tool. Grab the boot, twist & pull. All my wires came off fairly easy and intact.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...-specials.html

||--Genuine GM Tune-Up Items--||

12495519 – GMPP red spark plug wire set – 60.00
Old 09-02-2010, 12:14 AM
pbm.cc
Racer

I am currently having an issue with some MSD wires and Taylor boots that I installed in my Vette (LS2) right after installing all 8 with Taylor heat shields... Took it for a quick cruise and I got "service charging system"! My volts drop to like 11.7volts at idle but while driving goes up to 14.1volts. I have a good Optima red top battery and I just had the alternator and electrical system checked at Young Chevrolet... So the only other change and possibility is the wires. I will replace one by one and see if that is what was the case. Seems a bit odd to me... I do know that #1 is right next to the alternator power cable but not sure if it's interfering. I need to check them at night without the covers to see if sparks at grounding in any one of them.

I will say that the car did respond alot better after having the MSD installed over the factory red wires. Also I checked all the factory wires OHMS an they were averaging from 750-820ohms. The MSDs were all between 28-30ohms. I was under the impression that the lower the ohm the better the wire is?!
Old 09-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by pbm.cc
I am currently having an issue with some MSD wires and Taylor boots that I installed in my Vette (LS2) right after installing all 8 with Taylor heat shields... Took it for a quick cruise and I got "service charging system"! My volts drop to like 11.7volts at idle but while driving goes up to 14.1volts. I have a good Optima red top battery and I just had the alternator and electrical system checked at Young Chevrolet... So the only other change and possibility is the wires. I will replace one by one and see if that is what was the case. Seems a bit odd to me... I do know that #1 is right next to the alternator power cable but not sure if it's interfering. I need to check them at night without the covers to see if sparks at grounding in any one of them.

I will say that the car did respond alot better after having the MSD installed over the factory red wires. Also I checked all the factory wires OHMS an they were averaging from 750-820ohms. The MSDs were all between 28-30ohms. I was under the impression that the lower the ohm the better the wire is?!
Normal wire ohmage is 275-750 ohms. Most all the wires that I have measured read 300 - 350 ohms.

Get notified of new replies

To Spark plug wires.......Accel extreme 9000

Old 09-02-2010, 12:50 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by pbm.cc
I was under the impression that the lower the ohm the better the wire is?!
You are correct.

"The low resistance results in less loss in spark energy so more reaches the spark plug. The conductor is wound extremely tight around a special center core. So tight in fact, that there is over 40 feet of conductor wrapped into a single foot of plug wire. This winding procedure, combined with a ferro-magnetic impregnated center core, produces an extremely effective Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) "choke". This choke, or suppression capability, keeps the EMI inside the wire where it cannot interfere with other electronics on your vehicle."
Old 09-02-2010, 12:52 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

from what I read (one of the mfg sites), EMI suppression is more important than ohms.
I'm surprise you could tell the difference (nothing has reliably been shown on a dyno), maybe there was an issue with the prior wires.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 AM
pbm.cc
Racer

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
from what I read (one of the mfg sites), EMI suppression is more important than ohms.
I'm surprise you could tell the difference (nothing has reliably been shown on a dyno), maybe there was an issue with the prior wires.
I drive the vette on a daily... It feels lighter and quicker to respond. Well at least in my opinion and I know my car.

Quick Reply: Spark plug wires.......Accel extreme 9000