C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please look at these tranny pics for a car I might purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Pharmer81
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Please look at these tranny pics for a car I might purchase (more pics added)

I've never looked under a C5 before. The owner has sent me some nice undercarriage shots. The transmission is missing what appear to be three mounting tabs of some sort, and it appears to be mounted in a twisted fashion (ie:not square with the ground). Is this normal or is there something wrong? Are the mounting tabs for stock exhaust brackets, or what is supposed to be bolted to them?

Thanks for any input. I really like the looks of the car, but this has me concerned.

Last edited by Pharmer81; 08-05-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Its_Go_Time
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks good to me. What's that yellow pad on the right lifting against?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Pharmer81
Pro

Originally Posted by Its_Go_Time
Looks good to me. What's that yellow pad on the right lifting against?
Here's a pic of the lift points he used. Does this look like he did it correctly? Are those tranny mount points just something that the tranny uses in a different vehicle, or what are they there for?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:29 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No the car is not lifted properly. If there were rocker panel savers on each side, you could have the lifting arms under the savers any where along its length. There are 4 lifting points along the rocker panels that most put lifting pucks into the slots and lift off those 4 points. The rubber lifting pucks act as a buffer to put a void betwween the lifting arms and the bottom of the rocker panels. Some allso lift off the rear cradle and in the front just to the front of the Springs. Those lifting arms look to me to be on the bottom floor area(Balsa wood) I'm not sure what the tabs are , on the top sides of the tranny. They are not for attaching the trans up to brackets. The trans is suspended between the rear differential and the torque tube to the bell housing. Every thing looks fine under there. A good time to check for leaks on each side of the differential. Very common problem of the C/5's. You need to have some one that is familiar with these cars, to go w/ you to check things out. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Pharmer81
Pro

The guy said there are no leaks. I've read all of the articles I could find about what to look for and talked to him on the phone for about an hour about the car. I don't know anybody who is a Corvette wizard, and the car is about 7 hours away from me, so I cannot easily inspect it. I usually have a good feel for character, and the guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about. If not, he really sells a good line of BS. It all sounds like rainbows and unicorns. I'm concerned about the lifting points now. He appears to be lifting to the black metal lip that surrounds the floor pan on the rear. Would the floors be cracked, or how could I tell what has been damaged? From the way the guy talked, putting it on the lift is a somewhat routine event for him, so I can't believe he's doing it wrong all the time. Should I stay away from this one if it is being repeatedly lifted improperly?

Last edited by Pharmer81; 08-05-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Those tabs are extra's. The transmission has no brackets bolted to it.

It almost looks like he's got the lifting pucks in there but just sitting on the arms of the lift instead of the end pads. I've lifted my car doing it that way. Just have to make sure the pad on the end of the arm is turned down enough that it doesn't lift on the floor.

Ask him how he lifts it. If he doesn't tell you the correct way using pucks at the lifting poiints then you know he's doing it wrong.

Peter
Old 08-05-2009, 12:51 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

I don't see any pucks .Maybe he has them in there and he knows what he's doing. I've never seen one lifted like that. If the end of those arms are against the floor,It is definitely not the way GM reccomends. Maybe tommorow you will get more members here on the forum, to give their oppinions.

Last edited by bumble-z; 08-05-2009 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:56 AM
Pharmer81
Pro

I sent him an email to address this question as well. I'll post up his response.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:46 AM
83Camaro
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pharmer81
I sent him an email to address this question as well. I'll post up his response.
Should change out those exhaust gaskets as well, looks like one is leaking there lot of black soot.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:48 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Bump.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Here's a pic of the lift points he used. Does this look like he did it correctly? Are those tranny mount points just something that the tranny uses in a different vehicle, or what are they there for?
Zooming in to his photo I can see what looks like small blocks of wood that he has between the lift arms and the body rails. I see nothing wrong with the way he has it. The pads on the end of the arms are not touching anything.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:11 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Hpipe spring hangers are GONE.

Would it kill the deal? NO.

Why? prolly an xyz tech or one lacking attention to detail, could have been coming up on oh.beer.thirty quick
Old 08-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Pharmer81
Pro

Originally Posted by Eric D
Zooming in to his photo I can see what looks like small blocks of wood that he has between the lift arms and the body rails. I see nothing wrong with the way he has it. The pads on the end of the arms are not touching anything.
I see that as well. It's easily visible on the fronts; the rears are more difficult to tell, but I'm sure he would done the rear the same way if he knew enough to do it on the front.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Pharmer81
Pro

Originally Posted by Steve Doten
Hpipe spring hangers are GONE.

Would it kill the deal? NO.

Why? prolly an xyz tech or one lacking attention to detail, could have been coming up on oh.beer.thirty quick
Maybe that's why the rear exhaust gasket is leaking. Where does the hanger attach to the car?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:34 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Rear gasket is of no biggie The front hangers are located about 6" to the fronr of the trans., supported by 2 small springs. The rear hangers are clips all the way to the rear, if pipes were not in the rear hangers, then you would know it because the muffler would be just hanging down noticeably.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Pharmer81
Pro

I love having good underbody pics. Thanks for all the help guys. It's make me feel much more comfortable. Any more comments, keep them coming.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:09 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Maybe that's why the rear exhaust gasket is leaking. Where does the hanger attach to the car?
bottom of pic, 2 L brackets, not a deal killer

basically, the trans is normal, cases are used on a few cars I would IMAGINE

Get notified of new replies

To Please look at these tranny pics for a car I might purchase

Old 08-05-2009, 02:13 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran

WTF!!! IS UP W/ 2 DIFF TIRE BRANDS, YOU GOT TO BE KDDING ME??, give this car the hairy ball once more

I'm guessing small dealer, this is the nicest car on the lot, financing is in the teens if at a avail
Old 08-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

I would run away from that car. As Steve mentioned, the car has been taken apart and put back together... and probably not from a dealer or Corvette shop. Missing hangers + orange RTV between diff and tranny = red flags IMO.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Can you give us some pictures of the engine compartment (top and bottom)? Or better yet, just allow us to see a Photobucket album of all of the pictures you have.

Quick Reply: Please look at these tranny pics for a car I might purchase