C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97-2004 corvette service manual on cd.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 05:33 PM
blackula 99
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 97-2004 corvette service manual on cd.....

Recently purchased this condensed factory manual on cd for the c5 corvettes. Has anyone had any experience downloading this thing with success? The directions are to make sure all anti virus all firewall and all java applications are either turned off or removed prior to install which I did.It appears that the SI-STAND ALONE APPLICATION downloads fine. The SI-STAND ALONE "DATA" APPLICATION shows a successful download but when I go to view it ,it tells me it is not there.....I get a message"The si stand alone application has been installed...you must install the si stand alone "data"application before you can use the si stand alone application....Any info out there? This has become frustrating
Old 08-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

On mine, when I went to install the DATA files the destination was invalid. The default was to install on Drive D if I remember correctly and it needed to be changed to Drive C. I'd uninstall and start over.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Swt_86
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Try this...

I have installed this on four computers so far and have never been able to get it to work correctly without doing this: Once you have created the ISO file and run the install program from the disk it creates, make a subdirectory in the same directory as the eSI subdirectory that the install program creates. On my machine (Windows 7) it is C:\Program Files (x86)\GM SPO\eSI. Name your new subdirectory SI_DATA. Copy the data file (SI_DATA.exe) from the disk into the SI_DATA subdirectory you just created. Now run that SI_DATA.exe program from the subdirectory and you should be good to go. It should also update properly from the disk.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Ive had a couple people try to Re-Install this program on my computer after it was rebuilt and no one has been successful. I will have to show them this post and try again.

Bill
Old 08-08-2009, 09:22 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Talk about greek!
Old 08-09-2009, 12:33 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That's why I wanted and got paper!
Old 08-09-2009, 01:32 AM
kg54trains
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackula 99
Recently purchased this condensed factory manual on cd for the c5 corvettes. Has anyone had any experience downloading this thing with success? The directions are to make sure all anti virus all firewall and all java applications are either turned off or removed prior to install which I did.It appears that the SI-STAND ALONE APPLICATION downloads fine. The SI-STAND ALONE "DATA" APPLICATION shows a successful download but when I go to view it ,it tells me it is not there.....I get a message"The si stand alone application has been installed...you must install the si stand alone "data"application before you can use the si stand alone application....Any info out there? This has become frustrating
This program disk is tough to install and then run. I tried multiple times with and without computer expertise. I would appreciate if you can respond via forum if you get a clean install / run solution.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:44 PM
sledge_78
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default C5 service manual on Cd

I'm glad I found you folks. I bought this also and still cannot get it to work. I contacted the provider and they sent me more info. I had really given up considering this a loss. Why I didn't check here before I'll never know. But if someone can tell me how to get this to work on my Windows Vista system please come forth.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Swt_86
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Default It works on Vista 32 bit, 64 bit and Windows 7

I haven't found a Windows operating system this does not work perfectly on yet. See my post above. Create the directory, copy the file and run it from that directory. It really is not all that hard.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

I've installed it without problems on XP SP2 and Vista Home Premium. No problems either time.

Print these out and follow them exactly.

http://www.corvettepics.net/misc/servmanual.pdf

and

http://www.corvettepics.net/misc/servmanualquik.pdf
Old 04-11-2017, 09:03 AM
Canuckmeister
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got it working on Windows 10

Here's the steps I took to ensure proper install on 2 of my Windows 10 (64 bit) laptops. This should work for Vista and Windows 7 as well. Note that the first step (registering MSCOMCTL.OCX in System32 directory) should not be necessary if you are running a 32 bit OS:

Uninstall any and all Java from computer. Restart.

Look for MSCOMNCTL.OCX in the following: C:\Windows\SysWOW64 directory

Copy (not cut!) that file, and paste the copyinto C:\Windows\System 32.

Now let’s register it!

Locate Command Prompt in the Windows StartMenu, and select Run As Administrator

Type the following

CD C:\Windows\SysWOW64

Press Enter

Next Type Regsvr32 MSCOMCTL.OCX

Press Enter

You should get a message"DllRegisterServer in mscomctl.ocx succeeded"

Reboot.

Temporarily shut off any anti-virus and firewallsoftware. For Windows Firewall, makesure it is shut off in all 3 arenas: Domain Profile = off; Public Profile = off; Private Profile = off. To do this type “Windows Firewall” into theWindows Search box, and select “Windows Firewall with Advanced Security onLocal Computer” (or otherwise figure out how to get that window up). Once there, click the hyperlink “WindowsFirewall Properties”, and you can shut off the three profiles under eachrespective tab, and click “Apply”. Thentype “Services” into the Windows Search box, and open the Services dialogue,find “Windows Firewall” and stop the service. For Windows Defender, shut off Real Time protection in WindowsSettings. NOTE: Each time you reboot the PC, Windows Defenderturns back on again, so make sure that it is “off” as described just before yougo to install.

Copy the entire DVD into a new folder on your desktop. Name the New Folder “Temp”. To do this: open the DVD, and “select all”, then COPY, and PASTE into the Tempfolder on your desktop. Remove the discfrom the drive.

NOTE: whenever“setup.exe” files are mentioned below, don’t just execute them by clicking, butrather right-click and select “RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR”.

Open the Temp folder, and find “setup.exe”. Run as Administrator to install the SIStandalone App, which will place a launch icon on your desktop.

When that is done, right-click the SI Standalone icon now onthe desktop, and Run as Administrator. If it is installed correctly, and there is no remaining firewall oranti-virus issue, the browser will open and it will say “SI standalone isinstalled. SI data must be installedbefore the program will work” or similar. This means success so far. Ifthis does not happen, and the browser just spins and spins aimlessly, there isa firewall or anti-virus still running/interfering. If that is the case, Uninstall SI Standalone,uninstall the SI Tiff Viewer that was just installed, and uninstall the Javathat was just installed, and reboot. Then, follow the instructions above to shut off Windows Firewall andDefender, and re-try to shut off any other anti-virus or firewall software onyour PC (you failed the first time to do this successfully). Keep repeating until SI Standalone icon, whenRun as Administrator, results in the message. You have continuously failed to shut off your anti-virus and firewallsif all you can get is a stalled blank browser screen. Keep trying.

Once you have installed SI Standalone such that rightclicking and selecting Run as Administrator results in the browser returning aresult “You must install the SI Data”, you have succeeded in step one. Therewill now be a new program directory on your PC, C:\Program Files (x86)\GMSPO. Cut the entire Temp folder you haveon the desktop (i.e. the content of the DVD), and paste it into thisdirectory. It seems to help to have theinstall files execute from the directory.

Now, go into the , C:\Program Files (x86)\GM SPO directoryand create a new folder and name it SI DATA.

Then open the Temp folder, and locate the SI DATA.exeself-extracting file (it is the one that’s over 3 GB in size). Cut it, open the SI DATA folder in C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\GM SPO, and paste it into there. Now, right click it and select Run as Administrator. NOTE: there may be no response for a couple of minutes, but eventually, therun permission dialogue will pop up in the taskbar and/or on the screen. Say yes, and when the screen appears to askwhat directory path to extract the files to, use “Browse” to select C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\GM SPO\SI DATA, and then the files will extract to there (to appearalongside the source extraction file—which is fine) when you proceed.

Note that when the extraction process is completed, theprogram will automatically prompt to begin installation of the SI Data files(you will see a window pop up asking you to choose your installationlanguage). Close that window and stopthe automatic install process.

Now, go to Services and STOP the new running processes, SITomcat, and Si TransBase.

Then, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\GM SPO\SI DATA, andlocate the “setup.exe” file, right-click it and select “Run asAministrator”. The SI Data will beinstalled. When it is done, go back toServices, and you should find that the SI Tomcat and SI TransBase services arerunning once again, automatically. Ifnot, manually start them.

Now, right-click the SI Standalone icon on the desktop, andthe browser should show the working program. If not, uninstall the programs in the following order: 1. SIData; 2. Si Standalone; 3. SI Tiff Viewer; and 4. Java Runtime. Reboot. Repeat all the steps above (except registering the MSCOMCTL.OCX file inthe System32 directory—this is a one-time action).

You should continue this process until you arrive at a FUNCTIONINGSi Standalone program after installing the SI Data..

Once you have a functioning program, close the browser andre-launch the SI Standalone program at least 2 or 3 times, making sure toright-click the desktop icon and choosing Run as Administrator each time. Then, additionally reboot your PC 2 or 3times and ensure that it continues working after each reboot.

Keep Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, and any and allanti-virus and firewall software on your PC off during all of these relaunchesand reboots (i.e. shut any that have turned back on automatically off aftereach reboot BEFORE you re-launch the program).

Make sure all anti-virus and firewall on your PC areoff.

Go to Services and STOP the running processes SI Tomcat andSI TransBase.

Now, go to the Temp folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\GM SPO,locate the file “siupdate.exe”, and then right click it, and Run asAdministrator. It will say it isshutting down SI Tomcat and SI TransBase, but that is redundant because youhave already stopped them. After itfinishes, open Services and you should see that SI Tomcat and SI TransBase arerunning. If not, start them manually.Now, once again go to the Si Standalone icon on your desktop, right click itand select Run as Administrator, and hopefully, just hopefully, it is runningfine still. If so, once again close andrelaunch it several times, using Run as Administrator each time, and thenfollow it by rebooting and relaunching after each reboot, at least 2 or 3times. It should be working fine.

Restart all your firewall and anti-virus software, and theprogram should still be working fine!

NOTE: the programonly functions fully in Internet Explorer browser. It will not function fully in Microsoft Edgebrowser, Google Chrome, or Firefox. Theprogram will work in all these browsers, but only in Internet Explorer will theTiff Plugin function, which allows the images in the manuals to beenlarged. If you run it in any browserbesides Internet Explorer, you will have a functioning program, but will not beable to enlarge the images. Theworkaround for this is to either make Internet Explorer your default browser,or each time you launch the program (starting it in your preferred defaultbrowser), you can simply copy the URL in the location bar, close your defaultbrowser, manually open Internet Explorer, and execute the address, which willopen the program in Internet Explorer for your work session.

NOTE: I recommendALWAYS starting the programby right clicking the desktop icon and choosing Run as Administrator. Always. Never launch by simply double clicking the icon.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:07 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Get notified of new replies

To 97-2004 corvette service manual on cd.....

Quick Reply: 97-2004 corvette service manual on cd.....