C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anodized Rockers: Good or Bad????

Old 08-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Anodized Rockers: Good or Bad????

I've read that anodizing aluminum roller rockers actually increases the likelyhood of them breaking, yet I continue to see name brand rockers with anodize coating. I was just reading a thread for TFS heads and the picture shows a couple gold anodized rockers installed for the photo.
Any of the high end rockers I've seen are not anodized, which would tend to lend so credence to the argument that it is at the least it is not necessary, and possibly not desireable.
I'm thinking that anodize coating on rockers is like a fishing lure in the sporting goods store. It doesn't have to catch fish. It just needs to get a sucker to bite.
What's the straight scoop?
Old 08-08-2009, 04:52 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg_E
I've read that anodizing aluminum roller rockers actually increases the likelyhood of them breaking, yet I continue to see name brand rockers with anodize coating. I was just reading a thread for TFS heads and the picture shows a couple gold anodized rockers installed for the photo.
Any of the high end rockers I've seen are not anodized, which would tend to lend so credence to the argument that it is at the least it is not necessary, and possibly not desireable.
I'm thinking that anodize coating on rockers is like a fishing lure in the sporting goods store. It doesn't have to catch fish. It just needs to get a sucker to bite.
First time I ever heard this one.
Hard Anodizing is a coating used to prevent wear.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

The aluminum portion of the rocker doesn't contact anything so it really doesn't get any wear. The anodize also helps prevent corrosion, but the rockers are bathed in oil, so that isn't a concern.
A few years back one of the manufacturers had problems with rockers breaking at the roller tip. They were anodized. I don't know if it was just poor design or perhaps the anodize hardens the outer surface enough that it could cause a stress crack on the outer surface, that continues to travel. The failure was right at the roller tip where there is the least amount of metal.
In any case, I don't see any good reason to anodize them ,other than they make nice eye candy.
I can't remember wher I read it was better not to anodize, but it may have been an article or literature regarding Yella Terra rockers. If you look at the Jesel or TD rockers that are typically used in severe duty applications, there is no anodize.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Aprilia1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg_E
Here is a link with a general explanation of the anodizing process and the characteristics it imparts on the parent aluminum. Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing

Have had it on many track-quality sport bike parts without any unusual failure whatsoever. Currently have used two different sets of Crane 1.7 and 1.8 roller rockers again without any undue problems. Exisiting set is still in the engine with aftermarket cam and higher rate valve springs going on 20K miles. The engine gets ran to redline regularly both on track and as a daily driver. Appears to be only applied to protect the surface. Otherwise, who sees them after initial install...

A1
Old 08-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Ok . I finally found this in the FAQ's on YT's website. Any comments?

"Why are STREET TERRA and Yella Terra rockers not anodised to nice colours?
Anodising degrades the aluminium reducing its tensile strength and reducing the life cycle of the arm. An anodised arm is weaker! Anodising is an electrochemical process that produces a clear or coloured coating on the rocker arm. This coating is extremely hard and is "notch sensitive". Even slight "dings" from careless handling or slight scratches like those from feeler gauges can cause a "stress riser" precipitating cracking and subsequent arm failure."

Get notified of new replies

To Anodized Rockers: Good or Bad????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anodized Rockers: Good or Bad????